• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA physical and IFS

THUNDERBEAST

I did a search but didnt find anything. Is an FAA flight physical required to start IFS? I already had the long physical in p-cola and am now scheduled for the FAA physical, they said it was for IFS (I am in TBS).

FlyinRock

You will need the FAA physical as it is also your student certificate and a requirement for IFS. You can start but not solo without it. Best to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
The FAA physical and the student certificate are good for a year right? I was planning on getting some training just to solo before OCS/IFS @ cost through a hook-up. Just curious if it'd still be valid come IFS.

FlyinRock

The student certificate is good for two years. The valid term of the physical depends on which class you get. The 2nd class is valid for 12 months, the 3rd class for 3 years until you get to ge an old fart then it drops to 2 years.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm stashed until the end of September, so do you think I should try to get it out of the way before I go to Pensacola, or just wait to do it there?

IrishEagle85

I'm stashed until the end of September, so do you think I should try to get it out of the way before I go to Pensacola, or just wait to do it there?

It's up to you. I'm not sure what the typical cost is for a FAA physical is or whether your insurance will cover it. However, when you get down and check into Flight Management you will sign up for the FAA physical during your check-in brief, and the Navy will then pick up the cost of the physical.

cgoetz

wait a minute. You need an FAA physical in order to flight train with the navy. I thought the navy handled your physicals concerning flight, and the FAA had absolutely nothing to do with the Navy what so ever.

BENDER

pilot
It's up to you. I'm not sure what the typical cost is for a FAA physical is or whether your insurance will cover it. However, when you get down and check into Flight Management you will sign up for the FAA physical during your check-in brief, and the Navy will then pick up the cost of the physical.

I paid $80 (1 Class), and insurance did not cover it.

nugget81

pilot
wait a minute. You need an FAA physical in order to flight train with the navy. I thought the navy handled your physicals concerning flight, and the FAA had absolutely nothing to do with the Navy what so ever.

No, you misread. You do NOT need an FAA medical certificate to do Navy flight training. IFS is handled by civilian flight schools, and as such, fall under FAA rules. Therefore, you need an FAA medical certificate to do IFS, but not Primary and beyond.

Also, regardless of what class medical certificate you get it will be good for Third Class privileges for 36 months (as long as you're under the age of 40), which is all that is required for your IFS training.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No, you misread. You do NOT need an FAA medical certificate to do Navy flight training. IFS is handled by civilian flight schools, and as such, fall under FAA rules. Therefore, you need an FAA medical certificate to do IFS, but not Primary and beyond.

Also, regardless of what class medical certificate you get it will be good for Third Class privileges for 36 months (as long as you're under the age of 40), which is all that is required for your IFS training.

This is correct. I got my most recent 2nd class back in '03 right before I picked up my CSEL, and have not gone back to a civilian flight doc since.......and am in Primary right now

WIDGET

If it's coming out of your own pocket, you might as well wait. Almost everyone else in your class will be going into branch medical as well. Nice little morale booster for you. It's not that big of an issue. If you try to get it ahead of time, it will only save you a couple hours at branch. Bring a magazine or FAA study material. The FAA medical is a joke anyway. They know you've already been through NOMI, so it's just a formality. Some of the docs didn't even put the stethoscope to their ears.

MettGT

pilot
I did a search but didnt find anything. Is an FAA flight physical required to start IFS? I already had the long physical in p-cola and am now scheduled for the FAA physical, they said it was for IFS (I am in TBS).

Yes, you'll see the flight surgeon either at Ray Hall or on mainside. It's takes about 10 minutes (not counting the hour or so you'll spend waiting).

Trev82

pilot
Just like Mett said you'll meet with a flight surgeon he'll ask you a few questions check your ears to make sure they clear and MAYBE one or two other things and then your outta there. its got NOTHING on a military flight physical so don't stress...On another note can i just say i'm not ready for my leave to be over and depart San Diego to head back to VA!