• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F18 this F18 that

Status
Not open for further replies.

trap3wire

I have a question, why is the Navy trying to make every platform the F-18...refueling, jamming, air to air interceptor etc... pretty soon they will stick a Hawkeye radar dome on the top... I like the variety in aircraft of course I am not the one who makes the decisions. I am wondering why they do not come up with newer airframes or just put the F-14 back in production and the A-6 back in production as well, I was in love with the A-6 and F-14. By the time I get in the fleet in two years, everything will be the Hornet. There is nothing wrong with the hornet but why are they wanting to use the Hornet for everything?!?!? I would like any feedback on this. Thanks for your input.

FLY NAVY, RYAN

Let's Kick the Tires and Light the Fires....

trap3wire

by the way I was just kidding about the F-18 / E2 Hawkeye conversion...

FLY NAVY , RYAN

Let's Kick the Tires and Light the Fires....

beau

Whazz up Janbaz?? I so wanted to play indoor man! Really Sucks no one else wants too.
I always loved Grumman aircraft too. Ruff and rugged!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Paul Burke

It's all about dollars and sense. It costs a lot to maintain aircraft and even more for the aging platforms. I can only imagine how much an F-14 squadron spent on parts and supplies to keep flying. Then add in the manpower and training factor. It costs less to implement 1 universal training program than it does to have multiple programs in place. Then look at the difference in cost for procurement and maintenance of parts for 1 type of aircraft instead of say 4 or 5. In every case it will only seem like a few bucks here and there but when applied Navy wide it adds up to billions.

Edited by - Paul Burke on 04/02/2002 01:13:12

dawgfighter

Southwest's success has to do with a lot more than having a homogenous fleet. There pricing schedule and presentation of a no-frills (meaning all the itty-bitty bags of pretzles and half cans of pepsi) airline helped them make their profit. Plus they aren't involved in the long-haul market. Finally, their CEO was da' bomb. Great leadership leads to great morale. Out of that you get employees that care enough to put out a great product, and yada yada yada.

Erin

"Let's boogie!"

GO NAVY!!!

RotorResQ

The same thing can be seen in the Helo community with the H-60 S/R variation due out to the fleet soon. Its all about saving money on parts and training by using a universal platform to conduct multiple missions. If you have an aircraft that can do it then why not?

ghost_ttu

Well I'm currently a Systems Engineer at Southwest, let's all keep that quiet; I'm currently waiting to hear if I get a contract from the Navy. I've always wanted to fly for the Navy, and I've decided that all the money isn't worth me passing up my dream. It's just going to be a large adjustment in the difference in paychecks. But I'll deal with it.

Enough babbling, I wanted to comment, yes Southwest is a great company, but I will say that the leadership has swung since Herb stepped down. The morale here is rather low at the moment. Primarily because they have made major cut backs and the constant excuse is 9/11. I hate to sound insensitive, believe me I busted my butt when that happened and I felt horrible over it. I just get upset when companies use it as a scape goat for making expense cuts. Anyway, I am glad you all view Southwest as a great company. Lord permits me to leave here and go Navy, I will still look back favorably on the company.

quote:
Southwest's success has to do with a lot more than having a homogenous fleet. There pricing schedule and presentation of a no-frills (meaning all the itty-bitty bags of pretzles and half cans of pepsi) airline helped them make their profit. Plus they aren't involved in the long-haul market. Finally, their CEO was da' bomb. Great leadership leads to great morale. Out of that you get employees that care enough to put out a great product, and yada yada yada.

Erin

"Let's boogie!"

GO NAVY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.