• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f/a18e vs f/a18f question

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
are the e's and f's deployed differently?

as i understand it, the systems/capabilities in both birds are the same.

i would guess the workload during cas is the main justification for the wso.

is an e or f pilot automatically qualed on the other jet?
also, does the navy have d's or is that just a marine aircraft?
any (unclass) inputs appreciated.
thx
ed

81montedriver

pilot
I'm almost positive Marines are the only ones with D's. They are in the VMFA (AW) squadrons. Don't have any experience regarding your other questions.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
No difference in how they are deployed.

The pilots can fly either, but the only guys that really do that are usually CAG staff types.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I wish some 1310 would respond here, because I'm curious myself about the Navy's F/A-18Ds. AW&ST says we have more than 100 - but what the hell do we do w/ them? There are no F-18D Navy squadrons, so do we use them in the RAG w/ an instructor in the [I assume] stickless backseat? Also, AW&STshows the Marines' F-18Ds spearately, so the Marine numbers are not included in the Navy totals.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
The F/A-18D's are used as trainers. At 106 every single one, including the few ancient F/A-18B's, are not not setup for WSO's to fly in back (there are no Navy hornet WSO's). The back seat has a stick and throttles rather than two hand controllers. They're used just like F/A-18F's for rhino guys when events need to be dueled up. Since there are rhino WSO's at 106 the vast majority of F's do not have a stick and throttles in back, but there is still a need for certain pilot events to have a trainer F with a pilot in the back seat.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The F/A-18D's are used as trainers. At 106 every single one, including the few ancient F/A-18B's, are not not setup for WSO's to fly in back (there are no Navy hornet WSO's). The back seat has a stick and throttles rather than two hand controllers. They're used just like F/A-18F's for rhino guys when events need to be dueled up. Since there are rhino WSO's at 106 the vast majority of F's do not have a stick and throttles in back, but there is still a need for certain pilot events to have a trainer F with a pilot in the back seat.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had an NFO from my era talk about getting stick time (after F-4s were retired) in F-18s from Cecil Field (before it was closed). I figured he was lying, but maybe not.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We have a couple WSO jets here (D's that is), but just like the Navy RAG's, most have dual controls.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
thanks for the info, young fellas.
..new questions
what about marine d's? what do they do that the single seat birds don't?

i.e., is there a mission that absolutely requires a d? ( i'm guessing something like airborne fac)

also, can the wso launch missiles?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
thanks for the info, young fellas.
..new questions
what about marine d's? what do they do that the single seat birds don't?

i.e., is there a mission that absolutely requires a d? ( i'm guessing something like airborne fac)

also, can the wso launch missiles?

Probably just TAC(A).

FAC(A) can be done single seat in either Hornets (A-C, and presumably E's) and Harriers (plus F-16's and A-10's), but I've never seen or heard of a single seat TAC(A). Not that anybody uses TAC(A) much, if ever, anyway.

I watched several D's launch into OIF with empty back seats. I asked a Hornet guy about it and he said that they were full up rounds, they were just short of WSOs at the time.

No idea what they can launch from the back, but I know that they can't open the canopy (which I found amusing).

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
please don't tell me the wso can't jettison the canopy.

i did a bit of fac(a) from ov-10's in 1970. a lotta fun. i know they also used ta4's in that role but i never worked with one.
also did a lot of ground fac-ing (not as much fun).

i would have to say the a-7's were the best as far as visual accuracy (cep) goes. they did have an inertial system(a ccip on the hud) which made a difference. a4's and f4's were close. worst was an a6 trying to drop visually if his system was down. however,the accuracy of the a6 when beacon bombing was awsome. beacon bombing was about as high tech as it got back then.

the photo below doesn't look like much, i know but in the foreground is the transponder i would hump through the bonnies. the a6 guys would pick it up on their gadget. i'd give them a range and bearing. they'd drop a spotter bomb, i'd give them a correction, if required. they'd come around an drop all their delta twos in the same hole. you can kind of see the smoke about a click or so in the distance. they were dropping from above the overcast.
5524871904_ff035473b0.jpg
from my 'tour book'
5524866982_b93b4ffa79.jpg

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i remember having one a4 and one a7 fly into the ground while running night strikes. can't seem to remember that happening to any of the f4's or a6's.
of course, the technology wasn't what they have today.
go figger.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Two seats train to he FAC(A), not TAC(A). Not saying that they couldn't do it, but I've never hear of anyone training to TAC(A).

Lot 26 and above F/A-18F have a canopy switch in the back.

WSO's can employ both A/G and A/A munitions (except the gun) in Lot 26+

Unless you've flown in one, don't make assumption about any capabilities.