• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18E vs F... benefits of one over the other?

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Wasn't Boyd involved somehow with the development of each of those programs? I'm sure explaining E-M diagrams is beyond a forum post, but I recall something about that being a part of the design process. Its been awhile for me...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
All the fighter wannabe's should be getting a hard on from this thread, NightVisionPen has given some solid and interesting info. Then there is the ready room back and forth, nice. Carry on dirtbags :D

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
thx for the response, NVP.

re:"The Hornet and Viper were designed at the same time actually. The Hornet was born from the loser of a new fighter competition between the YF-16 and the YF-17. The AF picked up the 16 and the YF-17 actually caught the attention of the Navy and was developed into the F/A-18."
i remember reading about the f17/f16 competition while going through the tomcat rag (vf-124) at age 28 in '75.
hard to believe the f18 is still in production as i approach age 65.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
A little off topic, but related to my post about fighting helos: Even at NSAWC where every fighter guy that shows up is a level 4 division lead and goes through TOPGUN as an SFTI or Adversary we didn't let new guys fight the helos. Guys had to have some experience at NSAWC and usually trunk a flight in a two seater before they could fight the helos on their own. It is not a very safe flight for the uninitiated and aggressive.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
A little off topic, but related to my post about fighting helos: Even at NSAWC where every fighter guy that shows up is a level 4 division lead and goes through TOPGUN as an SFTI or Adversary we didn't let new guys fight the helos. Guys had to have some experience at NSAWC and usually trunk a flight in a two seater before they could fight the helos on their own. It is not a very safe flight for the uninitiated and aggressive.

I did it in my last Airwing. Overland was fun for the helo pilot, overwater Hornet vs. Helo was fun for the Hornet pilot.
No place to hide overwater...!!!

phrogpilot73

I've done it in Yuma (at MAWTS-1), and in Camp Lejeune with A-10s from Pope. Fun both times, but also made me realize we lose. A lot.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hornet V Hornet ... :sleep_125

How 'bout A-6 V P-3 ... ??? Now THAT's the "dissimilar" ticket, especially when the Intruder just 'thumped' the Orion (who's RRRRRREALLY got his 'fangs out' now) that was moments before motoring a few miles outside the mouth of Subic Bay ... :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've done it in Yuma (at MAWTS-1), and in Camp Lejeune with A-10s from Pope. Fun both times, but also made me realize we lose. A lot.

funny-graphs-what-helicopters-do-in-action-movies.png