• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18E vs F... benefits of one over the other?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Not true at all. I would take an E over an F any day, for BFM. And on that note I would take a big motor C over anything else.

I'll completely agree with a big motor C being better, but I'm curious about your opinion on the E vs. F for BFM?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
It just moves a little better. The same way the C is much snappier, the E will react to inputs faster than the F. The F is like a big fat pig

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Why so? I once was told by a "Rhino" test pilot that the "Rhino" is a "Lift Generating Machine" with it's enlarged LEX...

The mighty Papa Chuck makes way more lift and has a tighter turn radius that any of them. I'd still never want to take it on a BFM hop.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
have b/d tomcats performance models ever been in the f18 sim software and if so, available for acm?
i'm guessing it's mostly rooskie stuff.

...just wondering.

4qqf9yp.gif

grandson photo follows (he's on the left),
:)
5631834055_62ba41896c_z.jpg

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
In the BFM arena and lower, a Rhino will flat out accelerate a Charlie any day of the week. Big motor C or not. Up high, now thats a different story. BFM in any variant of the Hornet, A-F is all about the guy flying it. The Charlie may be a little crisper handling, but not enough to declare it the king of BFM against a Rhino. The extra gas in the Rhino is also huge during BFM. Charlies have to knock it off for gas while fighting Rhinos all the time. If that happened in the real world, youd have to look for a chance to bug, hope someone comes to save you, or end up ejecting cause you flamed out. That being said, with the helmet and 9x, most engagements wouldn't last that long anyway.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
have b/d tomcats performance models ever been in the f18 sim software and if so, available for acm?
i'm guessing it's mostly rooskie stuff.

...just wondering.

4qqf9yp.gif

grandson photo follows (he's on the left),
:)
5631834055_62ba41896c_z.jpg

Glad you clarified he's on the left.

If you fly a D or F its harder to see behind you from the front seat. The 2 seaters also are slightly more prone to depart in certain regimes with that sail of a canopy.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
In the BFM arena and lower, a Rhino will flat out accelerate a Charlie any day of the week. Big motor C or not. Up high, now thats a different story. BFM in any variant of the Hornet, A-F is all about the guy flying it. The Charlie may be a little crisper handling, but not enough to declare it the king of BFM against a Rhino. The extra gas in the Rhino is also huge during BFM. Charlies have to knock it off for gas while fighting Rhinos all the time. If that happened in the real world, youd have to look for a chance to bug, hope someone comes to save you, or end up ejecting cause you flamed out. That being said, with the helmet and 9x, most engagements wouldn't last that long anyway.

Ah, the BFM king from 106 has spoken so it must be true. All that I said was that I would rather be in a 402 Charlie. It's obvious that the man in the box is what is most important, and the gas a Charlie holds is an issue on a BFM hop, but I don't plan on trying to knock out 3 sets with a Flanker anyways. Like you said, with helmet and 9x, a real fight hopefully won't last that long, so I want an A/C that is quick and nimble when I'm in an engagement. And a 402 Chuck is pretty good down low as well. But then again, I could beat the guys you are teaching with a T-34.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
You'll never see that pic again (the top one).....
This particular airwing is all about single centerline yo-yo recovery tanking now. They don't like configuring 5 wet.

And you are basing this on what?