• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18E vs F... benefits of one over the other?

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
No such thing. Limited to SCAR? Ok. Perhaps. But you can't be limited to one type of control. It doesn't work that way.

Agreed. The mindset tying Type III to SCAR is one that originated with the original definition of Type III and its correlation to risk and the idea that it was only done a long way away from friendlies, which is no longer the case. Numerous individuals are still clinging to that mindset (the A-10 incident at Nasariyah didn't help), and you see it manifested in restrictions in the use of Type III.

You can do Type III danger close, the distance to the friendlies is not a factor.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
And btw, it's just shy of 1,000 lbs. ;)

So, a 1,000 lbs more give, correct?

Making sure that mission critical go/no-go asset gets all the fuel it needs...

EA-6B-Prowler-008.preview.jpg
EA-6B-Prowler-245.preview.jpg

Some more of that fine single seat tanker tradition (no NFO needed to run a buddy store).
pluging1.jpg
sm_a-7%20buddy%20store.jpg

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Having a legacy Hornet as a tanker? Thats like having an alcoholic as your bartender.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Agreed. The mindset tying Type III to SCAR is one that originated with the original definition of Type III and its correlation to risk and the idea that it was only done a long way away from friendlies, which is no longer the case. Numerous individuals are still clinging to that mindset (the A-10 incident at Nasariyah didn't help), and you see it manifested in restrictions in the use of Type III.

You can do Type III danger close, the distance to the friendlies is not a factor.

Thanks for clearing that up.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Wow, -100000 for me. Could have sworn it was a legacy. Maybe it was the old ass jets that threw me.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
as i recall, a minute in burner in the tomcat was about 2k lbs. i would guess the e/f is a bit over half that.