• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18E vs F... benefits of one over the other?

pdizzle

Pretty generic question coming from an outsider here, but one who hopes to join the ranks.

According to the Wikipedias, the Navy has around 300 Super Hornets currently and about 200 more ordered, split about right down the middle between the -E and -F models.

My question is, why are some squadrons assigned the -E single seater and some the -F two seater? Are -E squadrons expected to have more of a fleet defense role while -F squadrons oriented towards strike? (I figure ground strike missions are a particularly useful time for a NFO)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For all intents and purposes, they're interchangeable.

Brett

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
As brett said, they are interchangeable for 90% of the missions. Only -F's can execute a FAC(A) mission.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
The F has the convenience of coming with someone who can carry your bags out to the plane and, probably more importantly, will help you sing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" to a girl at a bar.

I KEED, I KEED!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The F has the convenience of coming with someone who can carry your bags out to the plane and, probably more importantly, will help you sing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" to a girl at a bar.

I KEED, I KEED!

Stop trying to be cool, VP boy. Don't make me urinate on your yard...again! :)

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Stop trying to be cool, VP boy. Don't make me urinate on your yard...again! :)

Brett

Hey! Next time I'm callin' the cops man! I see you slinking around in that brown, windowless van of yours... Yeah, I know your game! "Free Candy" my ass!

Speaking of said yard... Know anyone who needs a 3bdrm/2bath house with a huge yard?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I would hope that, if CAG has to send a strike into contested airspace from both the ground & air, he would choose the "F" squadrons over the "E". The division of roles, assuming competence in both cockpits, should make the "F" more effective in such a situation. Otherwise, give the pilot 600lbs more gas and send him off in an "E". Would appreciate the input of some E/F aircrew folks on this issue.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would hope that, if CAG has to send a strike into contested airspace from both the ground & air, he would choose the "F" squadrons over the "E". The division of roles, assuming competence in both cockpits, should make the "F" more effective in such a situation. Otherwise, give the pilot 600lbs more gas and send him off in an "E". Would appreciate the input of some E/F aircrew folks on this issue.

Also depends on what kind of strike you're doing and what radars each aircraft has. Not everyone has the -79 radar. Somtimes it's the E guys, sometimes the F, sometimes the G.

Brett

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Like Brett said, the composition of a strike would be dependent on a lot of things, but there's a lot more to it than radars. I like the idea of having specific squadrons specialize in certain missions, but that isn't the way we do things. The only thing the F can do different is the FAC(A) role, but that is more of a Navy restriction. There are single seat Marines who are qualified.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like Brett said, the composition of a strike would be dependent on a lot of things, but there's a lot more to it than radars. I like the idea of having specific squadrons specialize in certain missions, but that isn't the way we do things. The only thing the F can do different is the FAC(A) role, but that is more of a Navy restriction. There are single seat Marines who are qualified.

Concur. WRT FAC(A), it's not a capability that has been used a whole lot recently, at least not in the current conflict, but it is a great capability to have at your disposal.

Brett

RHPF

pilot
Contributor

Or the Air Force. They do single seat FAC(A).

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Or the Air Force. They do single seat FAC(A).

I was just talking about the F-18 type. I was trying to emphasize the fact that the only difference between what missions an E and a F can do is really a Navy specific restriction. It's all about who is in the box anyways. I'll take a good F crew any day. Now a bad F crew is a different story.

sundevil_av8r

pilot

I would hope that he would send a competent and qualified aircrew, E or F. I know single seat vs. two seat has been argued a thousand times on this forum... but single seat guys are capable of executing their mission just as much as an F crew. Each community has it's goods and others, but let's not discount the effectiveness of a single seat aircraft. I'm pretty sure there are some A-4, A-7, F/A-18C, and F/A-18E guys out there that would argue their effectiveness in a strike mission. And btw, it's just shy of 1,000 lbs. ;)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

If CAG is an NFO, you can bet that an F is leading the strike...

While I will agree that having an extra guy in the aircraft provides some additional capability, IMO, the leader of the strike was more tied to the individual pilot (in an F-14/F-18 airwing) than which platform may be more capable for a specific mission.