• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 Question C/D? E/F?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The question is...Will you make all iterations with a baby hanging from the tailhook like you have with the Goshawk? Perhaps I'd buy a pack of stationary with a new set of golf clubs or a big bag of money hanging from the hook.

Welcome to AW by the way...Nothing like some free market research....and advertising. My wife has already decided that the T-34 cards will be perfect this next Christmas.

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
The question is...Will you make all iterations with a baby hanging from the tailhook like you have with the Goshawk? Perhaps I'd buy a pack of stationary with a new set of golf clubs or a big bag of money hanging from the hook.

Welcome to AW by the way...Nothing like some free market research....and advertising. My wife has already decided that the T-34 cards will be perfect this next Christmas.

HAHA! No, they're not all going to have a baby hanging from them. I've been working on the F/A-18 designs all day and I think I've settled on a "baby on board" sign in the cockpit for the birth announcements. I'll have to see how it comes together when I start messing around with the designs on the computer. Right now they're just ink on paper.

The moving cards are going to have boxes stacked up on the back of the plane.

And I'll also do an "all-purpose" card with no special accessories on it (like I've done for the T-45).

Love the big bag of money ... would be great for "Hi mom! I'm here in Pensacola with my 4 awesome roommates. I just bought a sweet new car and a huge flat-screen TV. Bagging 4/5 of BAH can make one rich bachelor! I'm off to play beer pong!" notes.

So glad your wife likes the T-34 Christmas cards! Those were really fun to make. :)

As far as free market research... it's awesome to have so many aviation folks in one place to bounce ideas off of! And free advertising? Well, I paid for ads here in January and plan to pick up again in March when I've printed my F/A-18 designs! So don't worry; John's getting his fair cut!

Edited to add: Thanks for the welcome, but I've been on AW for almost 3 years. haha. I rarely venture out of the private spouse's corner though, because let's face it, huge groups of pilots get a little rowdy!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Why not just do a nose-on image and just take care of them all. Were you trying to have a side view silhouette?

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
sketchy sketchy...

3273320498_c16b356f94.jpg

I tend to use a lot of paper in this stage of it...

MasterBates

The intakes are the big "obvious" difference to those of us around them but not flying them. The view you have seems to not show the intakes, and I'd be hard pressed to go "is that a C or an E"?

The canopy may be the harder one to come up with a suitable ambiguous view though.

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
The intakes are the big "obvious" difference to those of us around them but not flying them. The view you have seems to not show the intakes, and I'd be hard pressed to go "is that a C or an E"?

The canopy may be the harder one to come up with a suitable ambiguous view though.

Oh, really? To me the most obvious difference (just from looking at lots of pictures) is at the E/F is a lot wider than the C/D... but if you think my C could pass for an E, then that's awesome! That just means someone who flies Es might not hesitate to buy stationery with Cs on it. :) Works for me!

And you're right, you can't really see the intake on my C... you can see it just a little bit on the F, but probably not enough to notice any details.

Kycntryboy

pilot
You can tell... the dog tooth on the leading edge is the other big giveaway, it is possible to make a compromised one with the fuselage to make it look like a hybrid, however your either gonna show the dogtooth (or straight edge) or intakes and either way they look different, your probably better off just making a C/D and a E/F/G.

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
You can tell... the dog tooth on the leading edge is the other big giveaway, it is possible to make a compromised one with the fuselage to make it look like a hybrid, however your either gonna show the dogtooth (or straight edge) or intakes and either way they look different, your probably better off just making a C/D and a E/F/G.

Well I've got my dog tooths drawn in on my Fs so I guess it is what it is!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I thought it was pretty obvious which one was which. I think most pilots and wso's (who this is aimed at) will be able to tell at a glance.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The different LEX-es made it apparent for me. Preety good distinction between the F's fatty Cobra Hood and the skinny little ones on the heritage hornet.

Elegant Emily

I love my husband!
The different LEX-es made it apparent for me. Preety good distinction between the F's fatty Cobra Hood and the skinny little ones on the heritage hornet.

Yeah, that's the way I can tell them apart in pictures if I'm looking at them beside each other... the Super is definitely wider there...

I think I'm pretty much done with the designs now! Woo! :) I'll post them here soon.