• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C in Catapult Hookup Tests

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And then you've got the 'exception that breaks the rule' ... as when the A-6 was designed and massaged, it was a collaboration between the horn-rimmed frame eggheads & Aviators (heavy emphasis on SPAD drivers) & past (heavy emphasis on A-3 B/Ns) and soon to be future B/Ns ... the way it's supposed to be in a perfect world. And the nose-tow link fit the shuttle the first time ...

The result: a 'beautiful' and a hugely successful machine.

a6windscreen.jpg
52in72small.jpg
dsc01948small.jpg

All images by A4sForever

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
concur, a4s. except they put the pointy part on the wrong end.
:)

are you old enough to remember 'swoose' snead?

he was the first a6a squadron skipper.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One thing I could never figure out is why is the probe fixed on the A-6, EA-6? When I first 'noticed' it this year, I was with some other Hornet/Rhino dudes and we assumed it must have some way to retract as it's clearly in the way. Apparently, not...
dsc01911y.jpg

Image by A4sForever

It was determined early in the 'game' that our probes would always be erect.

Some guys even used it in tactical evolutions as a 'roll around' point. And I suppose it had something to do w/ side-by-side seating ...

THUS ... it became part of the bird's legend & 'beauty'.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
:)

are you old enough to remember 'swoose' snead?

he was the first a6a squadron skipper.
I think W.S. Nelson was the first A-6A squadron (VA-42) CO and 'Swoose' was his XO, taking over in middle/late '65 after the squadron had coughed up all their SPADs and completely transitioned to the Intruder (and cruised in? FORRESTAL ?? ) . Anyway, I knew who CDR Snead was -- never met him personally.

West coast/east coast thing ... :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's Only Skin Deep!

dsc01911y.jpg

Image by A4sForever

ITHUS ... it became part of the bird's legend & 'beauty'.

'beauty'....Only to it's own Mother, could that child be a....'beauty'! :icon_hear
BzB :sleep_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
:)...
Ah, yes ... but that's part of her 'beauty'.

The Israeli's found another use for the nose when they were shopping for aircraft & taking notes ... they were gonna' take all the radar(s) out of the nose, remove the DIANE system, and put 4 X 30mm cannon in the nose instead.

4 X 30 mm cannon & all that under-wing ordnance ... WOW !!!

They figured the radar-attack-nav system was superfluous in the CAVU Middle East and they were trying to build a ground attack 'hammer' that could be done rather quickly with 'old' A-6s.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
that would have put the a-10's out of business

when the a6's were retired in about '92, there were many recently delivered birds in service. probably over 100 with way less than 1000 airframe hours.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, yes ... but that's part of her 'beauty'.

The Israeli's found another use for the nose when they were shopping for aircraft & taking notes ... they were gonna' take all the radar(s) out of the nose, remove the DIANE system, and put 4 X 30mm cannon in the nose instead.

4 X 30 mm cannon & all that under-wing ordnance ... WOW !!!

They figured the radar-attack-nav system was superfluous in the CAVU Middle East and they were trying to build a ground attack 'hammer' that could be done rather quickly with 'old' A-6s.
Never heard the story of the Israelis being interested in the Intruder. Seeing as it never got exported, did they come knocking and get told "no" by DoD?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i know the french were very interested in retired a6e's and ka6's. state dept put the kabash on that deal
also,
bob smyth, grumman test pilot flew the first a6 in 1960. 10 years later he flew the first 14. (and jumped out on the second flight).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kosher Intruders... Now that's one way to get peace in the Middle East in a hurry.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The A-6 was around until 1997.
And the '96 Intruder Ball (the final-final) was THE SINGLE GREATEST 'PARTY' THE U.S. NAVY HAS EVER WITNESSED !!!

In the ol' VA-128 hangar ... wine, women, dancing, song ... guys came back from all over the world. It was one for the all-time cruise book, that's for certain ... :)

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
"The A-6 was around until 1997."
my error.you are correct. the last one was built in '92. the a6f prototype did make several flights before program cancellation.
2751700588_731e28080d_z.jpg

Yankee Uniform Tango
"The A-6 was around until 1997."
my error.you are correct. the last one was built in '92. the a6f prototype did make several flights before program cancellation.
View attachment 13034

Hey, that's the one standing in Long Island's Cradle of Aviation Museum - right next to the 3rd F-14 ever made.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
that's correct. took my grand kids to the museum last week.
i have logged about 220 hrs in #3 (martha) while doing structural flight test at calverton. primary pilot for
structures was don evans (deceased). also chuck swell(deceased), joe burke and tom gwynne.
stories_no3_01.jpg
stories_no3_03.jpg
No. 3 first flew on December 28, 1971 with Grumman Test Pilots Don Evans (pilot) and Dennis Romano (Weapon Systems Officer). Operating out of the Grumman Flight Test Facility at Calverton, New York, No 3 was primarily used for determining the entire structural envelope for the F-14 and investigating certain flight characteristics under extreme conditions.

stories_no3_02.jpg
One of these was in response to concerns raised by the US Navy regarding asymmetrical wing sweep. No. 3 is best remembered for photo shown at right. A series of flight tests were conducted from December 19, 1985 to February 28, 1986. Grumman's Chief Test Pilot, Chuck Sewell, conducted several trials with the right wing locked in the forward position of 20 degrees, and positioned the left wing at 35, 50, 60 and 68 degrees of sweep in flight. 60 degrees was determined as the maximum for landing. In the event of an operational in-flight malfunction, Sewell found the aircraft to be acceptable for carrier landings in this configuration.

stories_no3_03.jpg
Tomcat No. 3 flew for the last time in 1990. Acquired by the Cradle of Aviation Museum in 1995, No. 3 is shown here on display in Hangar 2. It is also interesting to note that Tom Gwynne, Vice President for External Relations for the "Cradle", and Grumman Test Pilot No. 72, flew No. 3 on several occasions.