• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

badger16

None
Somehow I have a feeling that the JSF is going to go the way of the XB-70.Bring on the block III RHINO!!!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The USMC is the smallest part of the buy, but the most important one to the future of the service. As has been said many times, the JSF is the last manned fighter. The Nav and AF just need about 10-15 years of stopgap until our future robot overlords are up to the task of defending us. They could conceivably survive on SLEPs of existing aircraft or upgrades (F/A-18E/F, F-15SE, etc) until that time.

Over on the green side, there is not going to be a Harrier III. I've also seen no concepts of V/STOL strike UAVs. The Marine Corps has (rightly) staked its future on being expeditionary. If we don't get the JSF, the overall utility of Marine TACAIR is going to be called into question as part of that mix. Unlike the V-22, we're not going to be able to pull this entire program on our own. We have got to get this program in line.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I don't know if we'd ever be fully replaced by Skynet and the Predator mafia. There will always be a need for manned aircraft.

Even so, the idea of unmanned systems taking up the majority of aircraft is a very likely scenario it seems. Let's just hope we're not so naive as to let these systems operate fully autonomously.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
This sort of thought leads me to wonder when there will ever be an amphibious operation important enough to require taccair but not important enough to allocate a carrier or land based forces to. Just how many JSFs are they planning on putting onto an LHA/LHD? And if they are thinking of land basing them for support, why not use a SH???

IMHO, cank the V/STOL version, buy 18F/Gs to replace your legacies and Prowlers and plus up our airwings to 5 strike fighter squadrons... use the remainder as expeditionary. I see that as working better than throwing all your eggs into a basket. It would essentially retain all the capability the Marines need while making the overall force more streamlined and efficient. Let's be honest... you're never going to conduct an opposed amphibious operation against any nation with modern IADs/5th gen fighters without carrier or AF support.

The USMC is the smallest part of the buy, but the most important one to the future of the service. As has been said many times, the JSF is the last manned fighter. The Nav and AF just need about 10-15 years of stopgap until our future robot overlords are up to the task of defending us. They could conceivably survive on SLEPs of existing aircraft or upgrades (F/A-18E/F, F-15SE, etc) until that time.

Over on the green side, there is not going to be a Harrier III. I've also seen no concepts of V/STOL strike UAVs. The Marine Corps has (rightly) staked its future on being expeditionary. If we don't get the JSF, the overall utility of Marine TACAIR is going to be called into question as part of that mix. Unlike the V-22, we're not going to be able to pull this entire program on our own. We have got to get this program in line.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
This sort of thought leads me to wonder when there will ever be an amphibious operation important enough to require taccair but not important enough to allocate a carrier or land based forces to. Just how many JSFs are they planning on putting onto an LHA/LHD? And if they are thinking of land basing them for support, why not use a SH???

IMHO, cank the V/STOL version, buy 18F/Gs to replace your legacies and Prowlers and plus up our airwings to 5 strike fighter squadrons... use the remainder as expeditionary. I see that as working better than throwing all your eggs into a basket. It would essentially retain all the capability the Marines need while making the overall force more streamlined and efficient. Let's be honest... you're never going to conduct an opposed amphibious operation against any nation with modern IADs/5th gen fighters without carrier or AF support.

You haven't seen how much we use the Harrier LITENING for ISR, for one. We need CAS from LHDs sufficient to cover V-22 inserted troops, as well. AH/UH-1 can't do that.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
It's not as though Russian a/c & their engines are particularly well-made. The a/c are assembled by mostly full-time alcoholics and their jet engines are notorious kerosene guzzlers. Of course, if we ever get into a fight, whether they're built to last 30 years becomes fairly academic.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Reminds me of a line from a Discovery Channel documentary I heard once. "There are more countries capable of producing nuclear weapons than can build jet engines."

Flying Toaster

None
Is it just me, or is a place lined with an apartment buildings not an optimal place to do something in "secrecy?"

8y70g5.jpg

3127a08.jpg

2lvd3j6.jpg

atj60.jpg

1pcuur.jpg

b9yiv.jpg

33xesk4.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Are there pictures of this thing flying - or is it just taxi tests/for show?

<I'm an idiot>

But the YF-22 first flew in 1990. Prototype -> Operation for these technological terrors is quite the long and painful process these days.