• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
web_101106-N-0000X-001.jpg

101106-N-0000X-001 PATUXENT RIVER, Md. (Nov. 6, 2010) The first F-35C Lightning II carrier variant, the U.S. Navy's first stealth fighter, arrived at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md. on Saturday, Nov. 6 at 2:37 p.m. EST. The aircraft, piloted by David "Doc" Nelson, departed Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base at 11:31 a.m. EST and achieved successful air refuels at a maximum load of 19,800 pounds during the flight. At Patuxent River, the F-35C will conduct air-to-air refueling and performance testing. (Photo provided courtesy of Lockheed Martin/Released)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Folks can check-out this article on Reuters yesterday if you don't believe tougher times are coming for defense funding.
See "reuters.com/article/idCAN10023119820101111?pagenumber+1" which says the Deficit Reduction Panel is planning to recommend cancellation of the F-35B and halve the number of A & C models to be procured - substituting F-16s & F-18 Super Hornets in their places. This may not survive the panel's process and would certainly precipitate a catfight in congress, but cuts are coming one way or another.

Sorry I can't link the article, but am something of a techno-retard.

Note: Ryan (below), yes that's the article. I have no clue how the identifier came up different in your linkage. Thanks.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm assuming this is the article you were referring to?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6A95IF20101111

Notice how the article says the Navy and Air Force should get the F16s and F18s and all of the F35Bs should be cancelled. The panel also recommends canceling the EFV and reducing personnel in Asia by a third.

If we just get rid of amphibious shipping and sell off all of the Marine Corps' coastal real estate then all of the budget problems will be solved.

It's offensive, but fortunately this isn't The Marine Corps' first dance to this music.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, cutting the military is going to be the only part of the deficit panel's proposals to be approved. They'll put off solving the Social Security and Medicare crisis on our backs as long as they can. I'd take the military cuts, if we could get the others, but that's probably for a different thread.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If we just get rid of amphibious shipping and sell off all of the Marine Corps' coastal real estate then all of the budget problems will be solved.

Are you serious? They could eliminate the military entirely and not come close to fixing the budget. We spend a lot on defense, but it's pocket change compared to entitlement programs.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Are you serious? They could eliminate the military entirely and not come close to fixing the budget. We spend a lot on defense, but it's pocket change compared to entitlement programs.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm on his part...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Primary sources for the spending cut recomendations

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/IllustrativeList.pdf

About $100 Billion in domestic and another in Defense.

Interesting points as far as NAVAIR / USMC is concerned are:

Recomendations to:
- Abandon the F-35B (though they do not offer an alternative)
- Cut the V-22 program short at 288 units, suplement with MH-60 ($1.1B savings)
- Cx the EFV entirely.
- Cut F-35C procurement in half, supliment with F/A-18E
- Cx Maritime Prepositioning Force

Shutup&Steer

P-3 Flight Engineer
web_101106-N-0000X-001.jpg

The first F-35C Lightning II carrier variant, the U.S. Navy's first stealth fighter, arrived at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md. on Saturday, Nov. 6 at 2:37 p.m. EST.

I just checked in to Pax River a couple weeks ago and I spotted the F-35 a couple days ago. It flew over me on approach as I left my house for work in the afternoon. This thing has a wicked silhouette and sounds like no other aircraft I've ever heard. The was an F-18 flying just off its wingtip.

By the way, what is that called, when you lawn dart pilots fly an approach side by side and what is the reason for that procedure? Being a P-3 guy that world is completely foreign to me. I've always assumed it is to assist a pilot who is experiencing some sort of instrument malfunction.

yodaears

pilot
I just checked in to Pax River a couple weeks ago and I spotted the F-35 a couple days ago. It flew over me on approach as I left my house for work in the afternoon. This thing has a wicked silhouette and sounds like no other aircraft I've ever heard. The was an F-18 flying just off its wingtip.

By the way, what is that called, when you lawn dart pilots fly an approach side by side and what is the reason for that procedure? Being a P-3 guy that world is completely foreign to me. I've always assumed it is to assist a pilot who is experiencing some sort of instrument malfunction.

It's called a section approach. Usually it's used to bring a wingman through the weather while maintaining section integrity or because of an emergency as you mentioned.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Or done during normal ops when there is an overcast layer. Easier on the system (FAA/ATC wise) to remain as a section rather than breaking up as singles.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Yes, but they also have to separate the two aircraft and sequence them individually into the pattern, which can be painful.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How is it easier on the "system"? Keeps less aircraft in the pattern?

What kickflip said, and also it increases the workload from the aircrew perspective as well, since you have to break up, get seperate squawks, and shoot the approach individually. Flying form in the clouds kind of sucks, but it is easier to just stick with -1 as long as the weather isn't below section mins. You can also taxi in smartly as a flight when it is all said and done.