• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
For closer inspection:
mail

and then...

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
After playing in the sim at Tailhook, all I can say is "what an amazing machine!" To be able to watch a person with no flight experience fly a rails pass (with no wind of course) truly emphasizes how much more time the pilot will be able to devote to the mission.

However, after checking out the new helmet display system, I have a question. If the pilot can 'look through the aircraft', will that block out the info presented on the instrument panel or switches on the consoles? I never thought about it until after I had left the convention. Also, according to all the display models, it appears that the refueling method will be via the AF boom method. How will that affect blue-water ops when only Navy drouge tankers will be around the ship?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do you have a British Harrier in your profile pic if you're supposed to be a USMC Harrier FRS RP-in waiting?

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Why do you have a British Harrier in your profile pic if you're supposed to be a USMC Harrier FRS RP-in waiting?

Because it was a pretty cool pic of a Harrier all loaded up in flight. Besides, my collection of Harrier pictures is somewhat limited to Google until I check into Cherry Point and take a few of my own.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
...Also, according to all the display models, it appears that the refueling method will be via the AF boom method. How will that affect blue-water ops when only Navy drouge tankers will be around the ship?
somebody is f'd up then ... video from a recent post in this thread.

SF

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blurb on NPR about the F-35 yesterday, including the asshat Mayor of Valparaiso. His suggestion is that the AF just bases Predators out of Eglin, since they're quieter and all. Fuck military readiness...convenience of the Citizenry is paramount. Everybody wants the economic benefits without making any sacrifices, even the notional sacrifice of a bit of convenience.

I love how military airbases have joined prisons, halfway houses, nuclear waste dumps and sewage treatment plants in the category of "things everyone agrees we need, as long as they don't have to see, smell or hear them".

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Blurb on NPR about the F-35 yesterday, including the asshat Mayor of Valparaiso. His suggestion is that the AF just bases Predators out of Eglin, since they're quieter and all. Fuck military readiness...convenience of the Citizenry is paramount. Everybody wants the economic benefits without making any sacrifices, even the notional sacrifice of a bit of convenience.

I love how military airbases have joined prisons, halfway houses, nuclear waste dumps and sewage treatment plants in the category of "things everyone agrees we need, as long as they don't have to see, smell or hear them".

Fortunately that opinion is not widely shared throughout the community in Valparaiso, notably by some of the old retired folk in the area. But agreed he's an asshat.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I grew up next door in Niceville, and yes, I'll agree that the Mayor's sentiments are not widely shared. Hopefully that'll continue once the Navy F-35s start going out for FCLP bounces at 2300. Lord knows the good folks around NASO/Fentress take it with good cheer and selfless stoicism.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which explains why there's one in downtown Pensacola . . . and not a military airbase either. :icon_tong Pray the wind blows the right direction.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Accidents with the boom don't happen often, but usually the damage is much greater than a broken probe or ganked basket.

When the first C-17 for Hickam AFB was being delivered to the island a few years ago, the jet collided with their 135 tanker during a night AR with a bunch of maintainers/staff/public affairs onboard.... While the base commander was at the controls! Did some good damage to the boom, the tanker, and got a few dents. Still had the new car smell, though.

Another receiver unicorned the boom right off of it's 135 a year or two ago. There are pictures floating around of it.

The boom has a much faster offload rate with a heavy aircraft than the hose, and is far easier for a heavy pilot to make contact with, especially in turbulence. Refueling fighters with the boom is only marginally faster than refueling fighters on the centerline hose. Wing pod hoses, however, are faster than either, because of decreased cycle times. Pick your poison