• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
5L7P4649.jpg

HJ photo

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
completely new, you sure that is a Marine Corps jet?

It's BF-02 so it's a test article that does not have the mission systems (BF-01-03 do not). BF-04 just flew and it's the first full systems article. Marines do get new toys once in awhile (KC-130J, MV-22, UH-1Y and AH-1Z....). They are all paid for by Blue Dollars out of N88 so why not get new gear?

HAWK22

pilot
haha sorry for that jaded response. guess im just used to seeing the old, beat up leftovers from the navy. what a sharp looking machine that is.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For reals? I thought it was a separate, smaller engine. I learn something new today.

It has an amzing clutch that connects the lift fan to the engine. The novel fan provides 18,000 pounds of lift alone with no combustion.

566x228_p_28.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It has an amzing clutch that connects the lift fan to the engine. The novel fan provides 18,000 pounds of lift alone with no combustion.

I wonder how good that clutch is on hills, 'cause I'd hate to burn out 1st gear and have to limp into Aamco.

You mean no combustion other than the 700-deg one inside the engine that's turning it?:icon_wink