• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B arrives at Pax

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Under the rules of "Jointness" whoever buys the most wins. As I've said before, I was on the JSF requirements team. The extremely summarized version went something like this: When the Navy pushed for the two engine variant they were politely told there will not be a YF-16/YF-17 fly-off again. USAF is replacing all of the F-16 with JSF (I forget the number) and the VSTOL version for the USMC and RAF needs to be a single engine. Add up the numbers and USN was very much in the minority.

Bottom line: The Navy is not driving this program. Gee, I wonder why the emphasis on the Super Hornet????? :D

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Thats awesome. We'll actually be getting ready to break ground soon on the first batch of operational (non-training) facilities/hangars capable of housing the -35. We're even setting for the UFC standard for the hangar design. And who says Facilities Management/Planning is a boring job?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is quite satisfying to see the backlash to the mayor on the news though. There are city meetings with way more F-35 supporters than not.

Definitely, plus, there's five or so billboards along US-98 between Panama City and P'Cola supporting the F-35.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Commander predicts success implementing world's first F-35 wing

by Ashley M. Wright
Team Eglin Public Affairs

10/1/2009 - EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- Training the first generation of F- 35 Joint Strike Fighter pilots and maintainers for the next phase of air dominance brings the "privilege of a lifetime" for the new 33rd Fighter Wing commander.

"I'm eager and excited by the challenge of being a part of the next 35 to 50 years of air dominance," said Col. David Hlatky. "It has been more than 50 years since enemies dropped a bomb on our Army and Marines in the field, and we are going to keep it that way between the F-22 and the F-35. The F-35 will deliver precision munitions in ways and places no other aircraft can. A lot is riding on the success of this program...We've got to get it right, and we will."

The wing, which now falls under Air Education and Training Command's 19th Air Force, serves as the Department of Defense's first joint strike fighter organization, Colonel Hlatky said.

"We are building a magnificent joint strike fighter training campus that will house Marines, Sailors, Airmen and at least eight coalition partners," theF-16 pilot said. "Because this is 'Joint,' we are standing up this maintenance and flying training organization a little differently than we have done with other aircraft."

Part of the equation heavily factoring into the success of the wing will be the people, the commander said.

"I'm elated with and impressed with the quality of leaders the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps put in place here before my arrival," Colonel Hlatky said. "These are great people with great ideas, and they are off to a great start."

The colonel said support for the wing extends all the way up the chain of command and is highly visible at the local level as well.

"We are getting a ton of help from all over the base," he said. "Eglin is a great place to work. All of the 'Team Eglin' units are phenomenal to work with."

Colonel Hlatky is no stranger to the area, previously serving as operations officer for the 86th Fighter Weapons Squadron here and as 53rd Weapons Evaluation Group commander at Tyndall AFB. Since his commission as a distinguished graduate from the Air Force Academy in 1989, the colonel worked as a group, squadron, flight and combat mission commander. The former Academic All-American offensive linemen for the Academy football team earned his master's in engineering from Princeton University and studied as a National Security Fellow at Harvard.

The colonel's hard work and accomplishments earned the praise of senior leadership within AETC.

"Colonel Hlatky has demonstrated both the leadership and aeronautical skill needed to establish the 33rd Fighter Wing as the premier joint strike fighter wing, responsible for training F-35 instructors and pilots for the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coalition," said Maj. Gen. Gregory Feest, 19th Air Force commander. "I have no doubt he and the 33rd will excel in producing our military's next generation of front-line aviators."

The husband and father of two recently gained more joint services and allied nations experience to use during his time at the wing. Colonel Hlatky recently returned from a year-long deployment working as public finance management action group chair at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq. In fact, fulfilling the requirements of diverse customers is one of the items Colonel Hlatky looks forward to the most, he said.

"The obvious [reason for excitement] is the airplane, but the people side, the joint side, the coalition side," the commander said, "having just lived that for a year in Iraq, I am excited about those opportunities. We will be more effective as we learn from each other and adopt strengths into our organization. This is the privilege of a lifetime for all of us, especially me."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Joint Strike Fighter lands closer to Corps’ air arsenal
11/16/2009 By Capt. Craig Thomas, Headquarters Marine Corps

WASHINGTON — At approximately 1 p.m., the Marine Corps came one step closer to adding the Joint Strike Fighter F-35B STOVL (Short Take-Off Vertical Landing) variant to its arsenal. The test plane, BF-1, flew from Fort Worth, Texas, to Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., where it will undergo additional integrated developmental testing as directed by Joint Strike Fighter Program Executive Officer Maj. Gen. David Heinz.

“Getting BF-1 in the hands of the wonderful men and women at Naval Air Station Patuxent River is a big deal for the Marine Corps," said Lt. Gen. George J. Trautman III, deputy commandant for aviation. “I'm anxious to have our engineers, our test pilots, and our operators get their hands on this jet, and then see what we can do to turn test points and sorties at a rapid rate during the coming months.”

While at Patuxent River, the first set of testing for BF-1 is to have it flying shorter take-off runs and slower landings that will eventually culminate in the plane’s first vertical landing. Further testing will include flying with different weight loads and ordnance pay loads, and work-ups to shipboard operations. In total, five F-35B and three F-35C (the carrier variant) Joint Strike Fighters will be delivered to Patuxent River to enable the flight test operations required to deliver this aircraft to the warfighter.

In April 2010, Marine Fighter/Attack Training Squadron 501 (VMFAT-501) will officially stand up as part of the Joint Integrated Training Center located at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The work done at Patuxent River will enable the Marine Corps to start training Marine pilots and maintainers at this time next year. Additionally, the Marine Corps is scheduled to have its first operational squadron in 2012.

The STOVL F-35B Lightning II will replace three variants of Marine Corps combat aircraft (F/A-18, AV-8B and EA-6B), improves operational capabilities, provides flexible basing options ashore and afloat, and reduces aviation training and maintenance costs across the Corps.

This 5th generation multi-role fighter has significant advantages over the Marine Corps’ current tactical fixed-wing squadrons. The STOVL JSF will carry more ordnance with greater range than the F/A-18 Hornet, operate from austere environments like the AV-8B Harrier, and possess electronic warfare technology and capability like the EA-6B Prowler.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Departed Dobbins enroute Pax Sunday. Great getting to see it for the first time!

Attachments

• IMG_13423 111509 e1.jpg
    IMG_13423 111509 e1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 295

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Anyone have any educated speculation as to when this thing will hit the fleet?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In April 2010, Marine Fighter/Attack Training Squadron 501 (VMFAT-501) will officially stand up as part of the Joint Integrated Training Center located at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.

So, is the plan for each service to have its own RAG at Eglin? There's this, and I heard something about reestablishing VF-101 with F-35's.

Renegade One

None
Anyone have any educated speculation as to when this thing will hit the fleet?

I believe the anticipated IOC for the Marine Corps B variant is 2012. Your mileage may vary, and as to what constitutes the tripwire for declaring "Initial Operational Capability" for the respective variants and services...I don't know. Believe the Eglin ITC receives their first LRIP airplane in March 2010...not far off.