• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 Wearing Digis

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
I didn't know the Marines had F-16s....:D

AIR_F-16_in_KA2-Desert_lg.jpg

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Nope, I found it on some defense industry site. I have no clue about it's authenticity, but it looks cool so I really don't care.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Oh it has to be fake. Look at the two F16 pics in the article. Same load out, same exact position relative to the exact same terrain. That and the caption says mock up.... It's fake, but still freaking cool.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That would be damn easy to spot looking up from the ground... That's the problem with camo painting airplanes: They have different backgrounds depending on how you are looking at them.

A fighter jet with a digi-camo painting wouldn't be advisable, what threat is going to be looking down on it to have it blend in with the ground. The current grey scheme seems to work well blending in with the sky.

The AF doesn't even paint their A-10s green anymore for this reason, and the A-10 has a canopy painted on the bottom of it.
a10%20loaded.jpg

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We camo painted two of our Tomcats on a Fallon CVW Det with shades of brown on one and blue on the other (like the Mig-29s of that time).

On day one our CO was in one of them in a section, his wingie was in the other...at the merge with two bogies, lead bogey driver calls, "I've got the brown Tomcat." Dash two calls, "I've got the Blue one."

Pissed off, post-flight the CO comes back to RR and orders the planes washed off that night.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
That would be damn easy to spot looking up from the ground... That's the problem with camo painting airplanes: They have different backgrounds depending on how you are looking at them.

The way to avoid this problem is by painting the top of the aircraft camo and the underbelly grey. They used to do this in WWII with the F4U (except the top was blue). Unless you're attacking ground targets inverted you're good. This does however only have limited effectiveness from what I've heard (depending on the attitude of the aircraft). Navy gray seems to be the most effective all around. I remember hearing some -46s one night at the stumps and not being to see them until they were right on top of me. Or was that the sea-knight's stealth cloaking device? hmmmm.

Corsair01.jpg

Nose

pilot
That is a beautiful A-10 shot. It would take 4 hornets to carry all that stuff!!!