• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 report on 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

I'm just wondering if anyone saw what they were reporting about the training 16's that were with the Hijacked 93 before it went down. They were reporting that they had told the pilots they need to prepare to have to possibly take the plane out suicide. I'm having issues with this, it seems to me they would have tried a few things first, like pushing the plane down with the weight of the fighter, positioning the jet and ejecting, or getting another plane that is armed to the plane (it's not like they take a long time to get from NYC to where they were) And if they had 15's in the air, don't they have BVR capability and could have got in range quickly? I'm just wondering what the opinions are on this? I'm thinking media hype.

Rainman

pilot
You get issued a few garden variety shoulder mounted SAMs (based on NSS) towards the end of API.
Used one of mine on a neighbor's dog last weekend. KILL!

Rainman

pilot
Thankfully with my newly thickened skin, I can now handle criticism from such a locked-on Marine. I will continue to calibrate myself to your sense of humor so you may make it through flight school.

just here to help.
so, notPaul, why the secret?

Ray

Forcing the plane down with the fighter would be next to impossible. Both planes would have been destroyed. The aerodynamic forces are much larger around the bigger plane than the fighter. It would have been sucked into it most likely. Then bad things would have happened. There are conspiracy theorists who say they can prove super sonic fighter made it to flt 93 before it crashed with seismic reports. And it matters to me little what really happened. It suits me fine to think of those people as heroes.

And if they issued stingers at the end of API based on NSS I would have gotten dick.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
It's not Paul, it's Paulina. The secret is, she's got a crush on you Josh. Look for a chick in your AO.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

jrklr

ghost:
I saw that same show about the F-16's as well and it definitely gave me some shivers. I was also curious as to how people on this board feel about that situation. I personally couldn't imagine such an order and it almost makes me think twice about future careers. Pushing the airliner down with the fighters is out of the question, but you would think that they would be able to lock the auto pilot directed straight into the plane and then eject, rather than killing another American in the process. They said that the jets never did make it to 93 supposedly, but if they had, then this order may have came.

ghost_ttu

I think the media played that up a bit. Like I said, we have the capability to hit a target from a long ways off, I would think that would have been used prior to taking out two pilots.

Ray

I guess they could have shot it down with a missile from a ship at Norfolk maybe.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Rainman

pilot
quote:
It's not Paul, it's Paulina. The secret is, she's got a crush on you Josh. Look for a chick in your AO.

my NATOPS intensive brain housing group didn't consider THAT paradigm.
Still laughing aloud. . outstanding.

Semper Fidelis

Agent00JP

Like a point guard covering the center in a pick-up game, I think the 16 pilots could have knocked the sense out of a ~150 hour little-dic murderer. But, my .02 on the topic is that I would have no problem ejecting for a front row seat to the sight of my fighter slamming into the cockpit full of fanatics. Call it the AIR FORCE ONE syndrome, but pilots are not exempt from being asked to pay the ultimate price for our country. And yes, the threat warranted such a cost (assuming the plane entered a zone of imminent danger to a target).

There may be a tendency for aviators in the most sophisticated military in the world to feel untouchable, especially in the somewhat septic version of warfare our technology affords us. However, in the end our position relative to dying in service to our country is no different than that of the marine rifleman, army airborne engineer or airforce pararescueman. I do not think that when Viper was telling Maverick that he should have extended and lived to fly another day rather than to force a bad position was referring to saving yourself at the peril of your peers or those who you defend. (Sorry, couldn't resist the TOP GUN reference)

JP

"Whether you think you can or cannot, you are probably right." -Henry Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.