• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 ramming a 757?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Right. But what if you run out of missiles and BBs? Would chaff be substantial and dense enough to snuff an engine? I've never seen it dispensed---I'm just curious.

Flares would actually be much worse, and probably easier to aim (though still pretty hard). There's a reason we have a "no flares if adversary approaching guns" BFM training rule.

The T-45 engine has to be one of the easiest to FOD out though.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Just daydreaming here, but I think I might try for a nose to nose pass and put the wing through the vertical stab. Physics being what they are, unless you accidently T-boned the vertical stab straight through the cockpit, only took off enough tail to not matter, or blew up because of fuel in the wings, I think it would be a pretty survivable crash with a high probability of the desired results. Still a lot that can go wrong. I'm not unhappy that it wasn't my choice to make.

And what if you snuggled up next to the empennage and started pushing on it?

And what about all those air defense missiles around DC that all the nuts talk about?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Just daydreaming here, but I think I might try for a nose to nose pass and put the wing through the vertical stab. Physics being what they are, unless you accidently T-boned the vertical stab straight through the cockpit, only took off enough tail to not matter, or blew up because of fuel in the wings, I think it would be a pretty survivable crash with a high probability of the desired results. Still a lot that can go wrong. I'm not unhappy that it wasn't my choice to make.

And what about all those air defense missiles around DC that all the nuts talk about?

Meh... I don't think that'd work. There are some pics floating around of an E-6 with most of it's vertical stab missing during flight tests. From what I hear they didn't even notice it until someone on the ground said "hey ya'll that don't look right". I'll post them if I find them.

jmcquate

Contributor
Meh... I don't think that'd work. There are some pics floating around of an E-6 with most of it's vertical stab missing during flight tests. From what I hear they didn't even notice it until someone on the ground said "hey ya'll that don't look right". I'll post them if I find them.

I think I remember reading a while back about a BUFF that lost it's vert stab and lowered the gear to get a little yaw stability from the gear doors. But I bet the crew had a bit more time in type than the guys at the controls of flight 93.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I'd like to think that a viper aimed at a 757's wing root would either take the whole wing off, start a massive fuel fire, or both. I'm not a fighter pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There was also a smoking hole in Queens in Nov 2001 when an AA A-300 lost its vertical stab. I think for most airliners, especially one being flown by a terrorist with minimal flight training and no time in large jets, taking out the vertical stab would be a "kill".

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
There was also a smoking hole in Queens in Nov 2011 when an AA A-300 lost its vertical stab. I think for most airliners, especially one being flown by a terrorist with minimal flight training and no time in large jets, taking out the vertical stab would be a "kill".

No argument here. Did the stab just come off on the scarebus or did it come off, cause some other failure, which then lead to the crash? One thing I didn't take into account is that the E-6 can operate with no hyds. It's not optimal, but we won't lose control of the jet. Would the loss of a large hydraulic component like the rudder cause a complete loss of flight controls for you guys Hal?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If a Cessna 172 can do this, I think an F-16 might be able to do the same:

PSACrash25Sep1978.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

SkywardET

Contrarian
I would have to agree, I don't think such a maneuver would have a good chance of success.

Vertical stabilizers are designed with the worst-case scenario in mind, meaning they are designed to balance an aircraft flying with only half of its engines, all of them on the left or right wing, running normally. This means they are generally much bigger than is needed for stability when all engines are operational.

I don't have time in a cockpit, but I do have some time flying a flight controls book or two.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Depends entirely on the aircraft. It's been a long time since API Aero, but aircraft with shorter fuselages need more vertical stab area for directional stability, and vice versa.

It might fly fine straight and level, but if you didn't know you lost your vert stab and put in too much lateral stick, the adverse yaw could depart the jet. Considering the amount of over-engineering that goes into most aircraft, I'd bet that you'd have to lop off a solid amount of stab to seriously degrade its directional stability.

Let's be real. Your odds of a perfect slice with 15' of wing, beak to beak with 1000kts Vc? Pretty damn bad.

jmcquate

Contributor
I believe that the as to plan was to sheer off the entire tail to minimize the debris field by increasing the angle of impact.