• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 dodges SAMs

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The lowly T-6 even has a HUD, which is an awfully nifty gizmo to have in a primary trainer. Sometimes the HUD will randomly come on to max bright (no on/off switch, doesn't have its own circuit breaker, just a dimmer switch that sometimes goes simply haywire regardless of pilot action/inaction). This unintentional feature is awfully nifty too, although not particularly helpful for SA :cool:

I was dicking around in the oft today, and my mind was completely blown. Why is the VSI impossible to read? My scan is efffffed. I just flew an AOA approach and then fiddlefucked my way thru the flare.

Didn't bother to learn any numbers prior to the sim guy saying "you wanna fly it for the rest of the sim block?"

Yep.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm kind of an idiot, but it took me several CQ/FCLP evolutions (both RAG and first fleet) to realize that a "standby" approach in the Hornet was not what I thought it was initially. Turns out "standby" just meant switching the attitude reference switch to "stby" rather than actually turning the HUD off at night at the field and flying off the 4 pack. That being said, it was good practice should everything go to hell one day, and it gave me a new appreciation for the Prowler/E2/COD guys.

Yes but their steam gauges don't sit behind their right knee, and are a little bit bigger than ours. (giggity)

MasterBates

Um, go look at a E-2 cockpit layout. The VSI is "down there" along with the turn needle. RADALT is behind your left knee, and has no tone. Depending on the airspeed, the yoke blocks some instruments from view, unless you move your body. Bullseye is down by your right knee (does not display on ADI)

The Hummer has a retarded instrument scan.
P1030338.jpg

MasterBates

Yes, that one is in a museum. Yes, the current non CNS/ATM ones are pretty much identical, except the engine instruments are digital 70s tapes vice steam gauges.

Flugelman

Contributor
Um, go look at a E-2 cockpit layout. The VSI is "down there" along with the turn needle. RADALT is behind your left knee, and has no tone. Depending on the airspeed, the yoke blocks some instruments from view, unless you move your body. Bullseye is down by your right knee (does not display on ADI)

Threadjack, kinda.. WTF if that big handle sticking out from the left panel? Nosewheel steering? :confused:

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

P1030338.jpg

That is a fucking mess.

MasterBates

Yep. It's "stowed" (disengaged) in that picture. You pull it back/down, and you steer the nose that way. Not linked to the rudders at all (would probably be bad juju in a single engine landing).

MasterBates

If anyone has a "modern" E-2C pic, it's about the same. the 'hole' in the dash on that one is where the backup gyro is.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I really enjoyed learning a new scan any time you flew any one of the 5? 6? variants of the mighty P-3 Orion, or whenever a dude at depot decided something didn't fit where it went in every other warpig...so lets just put it, oh, I dunno....there. Yea. That looks good.