• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-15k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_F15K,,00.html

Maybe this is old news, but I am wondering, why would they give a fighter with this kind of technology to a foreign country? I thought all export versions of aircraft like F-15s and F-16s and so forth were "stripped-down" versions of what the U.S. forces utilized, not more advanced versions. I am guessing they did this because the F/A-22 and F-35 JSF are coming into service and to help in case N.K. stirs trouble maybe, but, anyways, I am no expert so that is why I am asking.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
It's only more advanced in that the ones in our inventory were built a decade ago, and we aren't buying anymore. For example, the last US purchases of the F-16 were block 50/52 - we opted not to purchase the 60/62 Block, which the UAE is buying.

We have F-22's rolling off the assembly line, so it's hardly more advanced than what's currently in production.

Besides, South Korea's a fairly stable ally, and we want our allies to have the good stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Broadsword2004 said:
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_F15K,,00.html

Maybe this is old news, but I am wondering, why would they give a fighter with this kind of technology to a foreign country? I thought all export versions of aircraft like F-15s and F-16s and so forth were "stripped-down" versions of what the U.S. forces utilized, not more advanced versions. I am guessing they did this because the F/A-22 and F-35 JSF are coming into service and to help in case N.K. stirs trouble maybe, but, anyways, I am no expert so that is why I am asking.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. We've been selling advanced fighters to our allies for decades and they aren't necessarily all that stripped down.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
I don't see what all the fuss is about. We've been selling advanced fighters to our allies for decades and they aren't necessarily all that stripped down.

Brett

Agreed.

The Isreali's have an F-16I that is an improved version of the two-seat D. Overwing conformal tanks and better avionics. Good match for their other aircraft.
F16i_soufa_6.jpg

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/f-16i/

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's easy, we just don't sell them all the capability.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
mmx1 said:
Besides, South Korea's a fairly stable ally, and we want our allies to have the good stuff.

Fairly stable? More like absolutely dependent. I do think they're one of the best countries to sell to, but mainly because the minute NK goes on the blink they'll be the first to feel the heat. They need us like sandwiches need bread. Let's just hope their EW systems give 'em enough time to get the jets airborne...

Also, I think even the Rhinos have APG-73's, which judging from the good ole numerical order means better than the 63's that the 15K's are outfitted with.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Mayday said:
Fairly stable? More like absolutely dependent. I do think they're one of the best countries to sell to, but mainly because the minute NK goes on the blink they'll be the first to feel the heat. They need us like sandwiches need bread. Let's just hope their EW systems give 'em enough time to get the jets airborne...

Also, I think even the Rhinos have APG-73's, which judging from the good ole numerical order means better than the 63's that the 15K's are outfitted with.

Well, stable like they won't turn around and sell a copy to the Chinese to reverse engineer. I can think of two or three countries who've stabbed us in the back in that regard.....

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
what is the balance between the capability of aircraft and weapons? Meaning... are we selling the most advanced versions of the AMRAAM to other countries?

I would wager that an older US F-16 w/ better arming could take a newer UAE F-16.

Lawman

None
mmx1 said:
Well, stable like they won't turn around and sell a copy to the Chinese to reverse engineer. I can think of two or three countries who've stabbed us in the back in that regard.....
Yeah, I can think of a Middle Eastern Ally thats gotten to stab us more then once and be forgivin.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Yeah, I can think of a Middle Eastern Ally thats gotten to stab us more then once and be forgivin.
(With heavy New York accent) What are you, an anti-semite? ;)

Brett

Lawman

None
TurnandBurn55 said:
"Ships" (plural) eh?

Unneccessary exaggeration is the sign of a weak argument

Well If you want to count the gunboats shooting up the Launch's the crew was going to abandon into, and its not like it couldnt happen again.

Ill give the Israeli's alot of credit so far as how willing they are to defend there way of life. But we've turned a blind eye to alot of crap and sold our own people short on more then one occasion for the sake of keeping a friend in the middle east.

Status
Not open for further replies.