• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f-15 supporting the last shuttle launch

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
moment of smug superiority...

Oh who am I kidding? I'll take both.

And that's a hell of a view for the final shuttle ride.

Lawman

None
My wife and I swung through the Kennedy space center on our way north from Miami..... Now I know what the Russians feel like when they go to their air museums. It was absolutely depressing. The whole place feels like it hasnt been painted or had anything new put into it since 1994 and it was 80 dollars for the two of us to even walk in.

We did get to see the "next gen expendable space launch vehicle" which is basically just an overgrown Apollo capsule on top of two overgrown SRBs from the Shuttle.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I thought the Florida ANG did most of the CAP for the southeast? I read an article in combat aircraft or flying or something along those lines about them describing a ready alert crew or section and their launch procedures.

jmcquate

Contributor
I thought the Florida ANG did most of the CAP for the southeast? I read an article in combat aircraft or flying or something along those lines about them describing a ready alert crew or section and their launch procedures.
I don't think they fly CAP, they sit alert. The NASA range safety support from the AF is more to keep bug smashers clear of the launch range. It's not clear what the F-15E was doing there. He might have just been a tourist taking pictures, or flying range safety

Marco

We sit alert in Homestead 24/7/365 for coverage of the Southeast and CAP as requested for a number of different reasons from NASA to POTUS. The Shuttle CAP has been done by us, Mudhens, Raptors, etc.

The pic below is a good one of now-Colonel Sami Said, former FANG member and now 144th FW Commander. He's leading Fresno as they begin their conversion from the Viper to the Eagle.

Attachments

• F15-shuttle.jpg
    F15-shuttle.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 54

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
He's leading Fresno as they begin their conversion from the Viper to the Eagle.

Cool. Now I know to look out for Eagles not using the common freq and running low levels in R-2508 instead of Vipers. Thanks for the update.
;-)