• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 crash....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

I believe CVW-1 is on the JFK, anyone know what SQDN that if? the Oceana site hasn't worked in months. I'm sure we've all heard about JFK's maintenance problems in the past few months, especially with the catapults. I hope it wasn't because of that. Piss-poor maintenace and low budget are pretty shi*tty reasons for losing your life. Prayers for the familiy of the pilot.

Paul Burke

It's not uncommon to have a cold cat no matter what ship you are on. There are plenty of safeguards in place to prevent them but if I were to make a guess, that would be it without knowing anything from the aircraft. Another possibility is that the ship's bow went down as the aircraft was shot off. I saw that happen to an E-2 once. It looked like it flew right through a wave. There's a lot of near misses that occur and it's always a tragedy when the loss of life happens.

PeacoatMan

The Tomcat that went down belonged to VF-143 (Pukin' Dogs), part of CVW-7. I read this in the Florida Times-Union: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/030302/met_8770278.html

Squadron homepage: http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/quarters/7936/

Joey

Chuck D

I agree that it is highly unlikely that the crash was caused by a cold cat. It's hard to tell what exactly went wrong. It would be nice to see the video. I was on the Ike when we lost a bird off of Cat 2 back in 98. The video showed that the launch bar came out of the shuttle at mid stroke and the plane did not have enough speed to launch successfully. There are many different scenerios that could be thought of. It will be interesting to find out what happened out there. Anyone seen that training video where An A-6 was launched off of Cat 1 and dipped below the bow line of the ship and then came up and the pilot and NFO ejected as the plane was rolling?
When I was on board the Ike we had a few guys go out and train on the JFK. They came back and said that the carrier was in bad shape. They actually had a fire down in the hangar bay because someone put expended OBA canisters in an old 55 gal drum that had hydraulic fluid or some kind of chemical that reacted with the canisters. This was probably in 96 or 97. I also remember talks of decommissioning the JFK, but it wasn't done because of the name that the boat carries. I guess that is probably scuttle butt though.

Charlie

Spaceman Spiff

My prayers to the pilot, family and friends. I first heard it from a guy in class as I was giving my instructor/academic advisor my course completion sheet for my OCS package. He then joked (in poor taste) that if I were to die from flying it'd probably happen during a training flight and the school would name a scholarship after me. Only strengthens my desire to FLY NAVY!

Kris

JeffQ

HELLO EVERYONE,
This is my first time participating in this forum and I'm the one to break the bad news. The F-14 that went down was with VF-143 The PUKIN DOGS. I'm a MIDN attending ODU and I was attached to VF-143 during my 1/C cruise. I never met the pilot but my prayers are with his family and the squadron.

Dave Shutter

I saw a blurbn on the news about another Tomcat mishap, ran into trouble at the ramp this time, anyone got anything else on it?

PeacoatMan

Dave,
I read it crashed on approach -- both aviators survived. Here is a link for the story: http://www.uniontrib.com/news/military/20020308-0905-ca-stennis-crash.html
The F-14 belonged to VF-211 (Fighting Checkmates): http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/vf-211.htm

Joey

Brooklyn

According to the local news, the F-14 crash off the JFK was due to the nose landing gear disintegrating on launch. They said someone who saw the accident (I don't remember his rank or location on deck) e-mailed home and told his parents what he saw. His parents then fowarded the info to the media here.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Actualy the person who said that the nose wheel disengaed was the aircraft RIO. I forget the name but he e-mailed it home and aperently it somehow got to the media. They had an artical in the Navy Times about it. What I want to know is how are these e-mails from the guys on the boat getting to the media??

Status
Not open for further replies.