• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-117 Retired??

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Ugh. Go eat some crayons and sing some cadence. Even the 6 functions of Marine Aviation recognize that there is more to military aviation than assault support and CAS.
We stuck to library paste and paint chips in my day, As I stated before at my level if could not fly off a boat and drop some bombs or put some warheads on foreheads it was not going to do me much good, It had a lousy bomb load as it was. It was how ever a pioneer for the technology that todays aircraft have. It was a start.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Based on what, exactly? This aircraft probably saved more American Aviators lives than any other platform, by taking out strategic infrastructure and Iraqi air defense nodes the night before the air war actually kicked off. For that, I'd say it had an ideal bomb load.
Really? While I clearly don’t have access to any classified stuff the report attached below gives the aircraft a grade somewhere along the line of a “C +” for its ODS work. Maybe the report was written by F-16 guys!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Really? While I clearly don’t have access to any classified stuff the report attached below gives the aircraft a grade somewhere along the line of a “C +” for its ODS work. Maybe the report was written by F-16 guys!

Possible correction to my earlier post…I am thinking ODS and perhaps @Brett327 is talking about OIF. The report I mention is about ODS, 1991.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

While the GAO often does good work their military-related reports are often a bit 'off', evaluating things in a way that does not into account the reality of military operations that would be obvious to experienced military professionals.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
While the GAO often does good work their military-related reports are often a bit 'off', evaluating things in a way that does not into account the reality of military operations that would be obvious to experienced military professionals.
No argument here, but that is true of almost any departmental study. Most internal defense reports are off the “reality” mark simply because lots of egos and budget issues are on the line. With that in mind I’d rate one agency as good as any other on those terms and you really have to read multiple reports to find what you are looking for.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No argument here, but that is true of almost any departmental study. Most internal defense reports are off the “reality” mark simply because lots of egos and budget issues are on the line. With that in mind I’d rate one agency as good as any other on those terms and you really have to read multiple reports to find what you are looking for.

GAO in particular just isn't very savvy when it comes to military stuff and their reports on the military often show it, 'grade' of C+ for their work in Desert Storm makes that evident to me.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
GAO in particular just isn't very savvy when it comes to military stuff and their reports on the military often show it, 'grade' of C+ for their work in Desert Storm makes that evident to me.
My apologies, they don’t actually use that term, I was just extrapolating. Going from memory they say 8 of the 10 air defense targets they were assigned remained operational after the strikes and their overall success rate was something like 60%. As I said, no argument here as I simply don’t have access to anything beyond various official reports available to any person who bothers to look.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To me, the most remarkable thing about the F-117 was how long they kept it a secret. I don't recall anyone having any idea that a flying prototype/experimental aircraft occasionally reported on was an operational aircraft.