• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight

Legend05

Hey,
I am new to this site and would first like to thank all of you guys for the great information.
I recently took a vision test and found that my vision is 20/10 -20/20 in one eye and 20/70- 20/80 in the other. I know there is a 20/40 requirement for both eyes, but my left eye is dominant so my normal vision with both eyes is 20/20. Will I be disqualified for my near-sighted eye?

swampertness

most likely, yes. I don't think it matters for your dominant eye, but both of your eyes need to be 20/40. NFO's however, do not have a eyesight restriction, but the refraction needs to be 3 cylinder and 8 sphere

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Used to be able to get a contacts waiver for pilot. . .I know more than one pilot who wouldn't be here were it not for that. Has it gone away now, what with all the PRK and LASIK out there?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Used to be able to get a contacts waiver for pilot. . .I know more than one pilot who wouldn't be here were it not for that. Has it gone away now, what with all the PRK and LASIK out there?

You can still wear them, but I think it has to be for winged aviators. I had them for about 3 days before I couldn't take it anymore and just went back to glasses. Unfortunately, PRK/LASIK doesn't fix everyone's problems.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
most likely, yes. I don't think it matters for your dominant eye, but both of your eyes need to be 20/40. NFO's however, do not have a eyesight restriction, but the refraction needs to be 3 cylinder and 8 sphere

There is an eyesight restriction: link
Aeromedical Standards said:
1.8 APPLICANT STUDENT NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER STANDARDS
Must meet Class I standards, except as follows:
Visual Acuity, Distant and Near: No limit uncorrected. Must correct to 20/20 each eye. If the AFVT or Goodlite letters are used, a score of 7/10 on the 20/20 line constitutes meeting visual acuity requirements.
Refractive Limits: Manifest refraction must not exceed +/-8.00 diopters in any meridian (sum of sphere and cylinder) with astigmatism no greater than -3.00 diopters. Refraction must be recorded in minus cylinder format. Must have no more than 3.50 diopters of anisometropia.
Oculomotor Balance: NOHOSH.
Depth Perception: Not Required.
Slit Lamp Examination: Required, and must demonstrate no pathology.

speedroller

Rangers
Has anyone here got through OCS Flight Physical and moved on as an SNA with less that 20/20? They advertise that 20/40 is the limit for SNAs but in reality it seems that anything less than 20/20 is a no go in real world.

exNavyOffRec

well yes, i meant that there's no restriction on uncorrected eyesight, just the refraction. And that it must be corrected to 20/20

for a person who is just applying yes there is an uncorrected eyesight restriction, it is the worse eye can be no worse than 20/40 uncorrected, standards for those that are applying for OCS =/= standards for those on active duty.

SNOV

At NAMI they tested me twice, with the opto saying I passed by the skin of my teeth. I was at the limit for just about everything.

For birth month physical in Primary I'm pretty sure my bad eye was over the SNA limit, but the doc didn't mention it and signed my upchit.

Can't answer the OCS question. I do know one guy who went to OCS to be an SNA and came out as an SNFO due to medical. Then he got E-2s instead of jets because his stomach couldn't handle the T-6. Bottom line: worry about the things you can change, forget the rest.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
At NAMI they tested me twice, with the opto saying I passed by the skin of my teeth. I was at the limit for just about everything.

When I went through NAMI, I had just had a fresh long-form flight physical. My eyes were close, but in. NAMI told me they had to retest me because I "was so close that if you were any worse, you'd be out of limits." They tested me and found my eyes were a bit worse that day, but were still in limits.

My point is I'm a bit skeptical of NAMI's logic sometimes.

For birth month physical in Primary I'm pretty sure my bad eye was over the SNA limit, but the doc didn't mention it and signed my upchit.

Something may have changed, but historically, there hasn't been a "SNA limit," but an applicant limit and a pilot limit. I'm guessing you were over the applicant limit on your physical, but once you've made it past the Whammy (or at least start Primary), you're no longer considered an applicant and you fall under the fleet standards.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something may have changed, but historically, there hasn't been a "SNA limit," but an applicant limit and a pilot limit. I'm guessing you were over the applicant limit on your physical, but once you've made it past the Whammy (or at least start Primary), you're no longer considered an applicant and you fall under the fleet standards.

Disregard, I looked at the standards link and answered my own question.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pretty sure there are two different limits, an SNA limit and a winged aviator limit. I ran into this when I was an SNFO, I was near the limit for SNFO but when I got winged there was no more limit. Yes, my eyes are pretty bad.

Admittedly, I lack the desire to go check, so maybe that's the case with eyes. However, for other medical conditions, there's two basic standards: Applicant (which includes a 1390/1395 commissioned SNA who hasn't started) and Aviator. Once past the Whammy (or, again, probably more realistically, once started Primary), someone will fall under the Aviator standard.

It does make me wonder why eyes would be different.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Admittedly, I lack the desire to go check, so maybe that's the case with eyes. However, for other medical conditions, there's two basic standards: Applicant (which includes a 1390/1395 commissioned SNA who hasn't started) and Aviator. Once past the Whammy (or, again, probably more realistically, once started Primary), someone will fall under the Aviator standard.

It does make me wonder why eyes would be different.

C'mon, I edited my response! It looks like there are different standards for SNFO and NFO, not the same with pilots. It also appears they may have changed since I joined ages ago since they don't have an upper limit for vision now but had one when I went through NAMI.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
C'mon, I edited my response! It looks like there are different standards for SNFO and NFO, not the same with pilots. It also appears they may have changed since I joined ages ago since they don't have an upper limit for vision now but had one when I went through NAMI.

Ha! I actually quoted you, wrote my first sentence and a half and then managed to get distracted by an actual work-related issue for 45 minutes.