• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight goes bad prior to winging

afsf1

Hello; I have searched for an answer to this question with varying answers and am looking for some concrete gouge.

If I have been awarded an air contract (passed initial flight physical with borderline 20/40 in each eye), once I am in OCS, TBS, API etc and my vision goes bad what will happen to me? I fear that my vision is getting worse and that I may not be able to pull 20/40 for the next 2-3 years until I am (hopefully) winged.

Thanks for any responses!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Once you're complete with your NAMI physical just prior to API, you're no longer considered an applicant and your vision requirements slide to the more "mature" standards. Prior to that physical, even if you're PCS'ed to Pensacola, you're still an "applicant" as far as the med standards go.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
TLDR: After your "initial" NAMI screening, you can be 20/100 or better correctable to 20/20 no problemo, no restrictions on anything. That is, the SECOND your API physical is done, you're good to go forever after.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't the use of TLDR usually accompany a long, verbose section of text, possibly containing unnecessarily capitalized words?

BDfan88

TLDR: After your "initial" NAMI screening, you can be 20/100 or better correctable to 20/20 no problemo, no restrictions on anything. That is, the SECOND your API physical is done, you're good to go forever after.
What was your vision/refraction at your initial NAMI screening?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Doesn't the use of TLDR usually accompany a long, verbose section of text, possibly containing unnecessarily capitalized words?

Apparently the humor was lost in the TLDR: replacing a two-line post with another two-line post. ANND, at this point after pointing out my unnecessary capitalization of words for verbal emphasis, I actually am OBLIGED to keep it up ad infinitum... same goes for my overuse of ellipsis...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, bro. You're hilarious, just not for the reasons you may think.

afsf1

So if it goes bad (outside of 20/40 limit) before the API flight physical I am screwed but otherwise I should be golden, correct?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So if it goes bad (outside of 20/40 limit) before the API flight physical I am screwed but otherwise I should be golden, correct?

Correct. Keep in mind that you may have a 20/40 day and you may have a 20/30 day, depending on hydration, tiredness, etc. Hydrate like crazy the night before and avoid playing on the computer/phone/whatever the previous day. I found that worked for me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct. Keep in mind that you may have a 20/40 day and you may have a 20/30 day, depending on hydration, tiredness, etc. Hydrate like crazy the night before and avoid playing on the computer/phone/whatever the previous day. I found that worked for me.

And get a good night's rest, that along with hydration can make a world of difference.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

Also, avoid smoking environments and exercise 24 - 48 hours prior. Better vision needs oxygen.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
You can also get PRK if it degrades to far. It would just have to be at least 6 months before and a waiver. I had it done and it wasn't a huge deal it just took a few months to get it all done.