• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Extensive Drug History

**This is a new version of a post I made earlier if you are experiencing deja vu

As title states. Regular use of cannabis products. Regular hallucinogen use, purchased from the darknet. Experimental prescription stimulant abuse. All of this as an undergraduate. It has been 1.5 years since I have used any of these drugs.

On the flip side I have a great academic record, was very involved outside of my coursework, and am in very good shape. My ASTB scores are highly competitive. I have a competitive profile according to my recruiter. My recruiter does not yet know about my drug history.

How will this affect my being considered for security clearance and OCS?

Last edited:

Chunks

To each their own and it sounds like you have had fun and been successful in your college career so far. What was your favorite hallucinogen? :) If everything you say is accurate it sounds like you could be successful in any number of careers and potentially even civilian flying... if flying is your goal (just remember not to try and shut engines off when flying in the jump seat). I would say a security clearance could possibly happen if you were honest about it and the government really wanted you for something but just being recruited for OCS I would never see the chance being taken on you. Sorry for the bubble burst and as they always say, YMMV. Good luck out there, but military service isn't for everyone and personal choices need to be made to be eligible. The military isn't an equal opportunity employer and never should be.

exNavyOffRec

**This is a new version of a post I made earlier if you are experiencing deja vu

As title states. Regular use of cannabis products. Regular hallucinogen use, purchased from the darknet. Experimental prescription stimulant abuse. All of this as an undergraduate. It has been 1.5 years since I have used any of these drugs.

On the flip side I have a great academic record, was very involved outside of my coursework, and am in very good shape. My ASTB scores are highly competitive. I have a competitive profile according to my recruiter. My recruiter does not yet know about my drug history.

Given what you are going to tell your recruiter I doubt you would get a waiver, I have seen people get waivers for minor and experimental use of drugs, but the hardest drug I ever saw someone get a waiver for was cocaine for 2 times I think?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The military isn't an equal opportunity employer and never should be.
The military is absolutely an equal opportunity employer, by law. You’re just confused about what that means.

For the OP, nobody here is going to give you a pass if you decide to lie. There are potentially negative consequences for lying and for telling the truth.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The military isn't an equal opportunity employer and never should be.
False. This also has absolutely nothing to do with prior drug use.

IMG_9426.png

OP, your honesty on this issue is appreciated, but I don’t think you’re likely to have a good outcome based on that extensive drug use history. Your best bet would be to level with your OSO or accessions officer and see what they suggest. Don’t expect a fun conversation. Have a backup plan, or several.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, +1 for honesty, but I seriously doubt you're going to get a waiver for past habitual hard drug use. I doubt you'd even get a waiver to enlist, much less for OCS. Put it this way - they get tons of applicants with good records who don't have a history of drug abuse...why would they take you over them?

Have you perhaps considered the financial sector instead?
1699881853668.png

Sonog

pilot
Here are the facts:

1.) You probably won't get a waiver if you admit all of that

2.) No one on here is going to tell you to lie

3.) No one really knows if/how/when they would catch you in a lie.

4.) "Figuring things out for yourself is one of the few freedoms we really have." - Mr. Razchak

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Recruiter: "Sir, can we ask you what you would do if you got a waiver to attend OCS, knowing your odds are 1 in 292 million?"

Recruiter: "That's not good. We were hoping for a different answer."

GroundPounder

I would never definitively say you were being untruthful based on a post to a forum, but how could you not remember how you answered the question at MEPS? That was a huge indicator for deception, and if you were trying to work in my field, it would warrant a lot of follow up.

That being said, good luck. If the military does not work out, it sounds like you are on the path to success elsewhere.

Empire16

I would be honest with your recruiter. When I went to meps I tried to tell my doctor about experimental use and he would not hear it at all. Only told me he cares if i was addicted to anything.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Strongly discourage this for two reasons:
1. While it may be easy to lie, it may be even easier for your lie to be discovered. Between MEPS and a security clearance, there's many checks and balances that could bring your drug use to light.
2. If you're willing to lie in order to attempt to join, you're probably willing to lie throughout your military career. People have gotten themselves hurt or even killed, or worse, gotten others hurt or killed over a lie.

Unfortunately, your past actions, while in the past, can still leave ramifications and impacts in the future. If the military does not work out, use that as a life lesson moving forward.

2. If you're willing to lie in order to attempt to join, you're probably willing to lie throughout your military career. People have gotten themselves hurt or even killed, or worse, gotten others hurt or killed over a lie.

Unfortunately, your past actions, while in the past, can still leave ramifications and impacts in the future. If the military does not work out, use that as a life lesson moving forward.
Are you telling me nobody ever lies? or that the people who lie are always caught?

The past responses around this forum relating to lying all seem a bit tongue in cheek.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Are you telling me nobody ever lies? or that the people who lie are always caught?

The past responses around this forum relating to lying all seem a bit tongue in cheek.

I never said that, but the fact you don’t fully understand the consequences of lying indicate to me that you shouldn’t serve in the military.