• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Extended stays at the hold short for NAS Whidbey Growlers?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During my time at NUW, I always thought how "easy" it should be to have Prowler & Orion bubbas discuss shit like this at the club over a beer. Rarely, if at all, did it ever happen. Despite the proximity of the two communities there, the cultural divide is stark.
The VS guys didn't much appreciate the helo guys at NASNI back in the day. If Miramar was the Master Jet Base then North Island was the Master Helo Base (truly is now). We could have used some face to face with the helo guys too. But we rarely saw them at the I-Bar. Too bad. Their money was good. As a JO I never thought about it. But I agree, it might have been helpful.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
I'm headed to NUW at the end of the month, and have a good OCS/Primary buddy in VAQ, I'll see if we can't start communicating. Y'know? Keeping up foreign relations?

Pags

N/A
pilot
During my time at NUW, I always thought how "easy" it should be to have Prowler & Orion bubbas discuss shit like this at the club over a beer. Rarely, if at all, did it ever happen. Despite the proximity of the two communities there, the cultural divide is stark.
Seems like the kind of thing that Base Ops should facilitate...maybe send some wing/squadron ops, stan, and safety types to a monthly meeting? That's what happened at Pax...and EVERY T/M/S in the fleet managed to live in relative harmony.

Renegade One

None
All the airplane models taken down for helicopter models? Could I still find my squadron's cruise plaque and table?
You'll have to do all your own due diligence, my friend. We had a great Tailhook gathering (co-hosted by the local Viking Assn.) there earlier this year, and I can tell you that all of the S-3 "tails" are still proudly displayed in the BOQ lounge area…along with the newly-refurbished "Tailhook Plaques" going back to Year 1 (1956) at Rosarita Beach, and the actual "I-Bar" area still looks like the inside of Trader Joe's WRT plaques, tables and models hanging from the ceiling. Along with the adjoining glass-paneled door festooned with stickers from a Navy of long ago. I think the "Viking Spirit" is alive and we'll there...

AND…your money is still good there!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Seems like the kind of thing that Base Ops should facilitate...maybe send some wing/squadron ops, stan, and safety types to a monthly meeting? That's what happened at Pax...and EVERY T/M/S in the fleet managed to live in relative harmony.

It's been something that's been worked on for the longest time between Commodores and Base Ops. There's several Ops meetings and it has improved relations, the fact is with a tightening budget any gains we saw are pretty much gone.

Renegade One

None
It's been something that's been worked on for the longest time between Commodores and Base Ops. There's several Ops meetings and it has improved relations, the fact is with a tightening budget any gains we saw are pretty much gone.
The prayer meeting never bore fruit?

I can't speak for what Pags had in mind, but what I have in mind is something along the lines of:

"My name is Captain Joe Bagadonuts, and I command this goddam base. I've drunk more beer and pissed more blood, and banged more quiff and busted more ass than all of you numb-nuts put together. Any of you assholes who thinks he or she has a real, no-shit flying leadership job on this base had better show up at the club on Friday afternoon to talk about some shit. Now, you can not show up if you want, but come Friday sundown, there's going to be two things true that ain't true now. One...I'm going to know just what in the good Christ is going on around here…and two…I'm going to have someone's ass in my briefcase."

Or words to that effect. Hey…a guy can dream, can't he?;)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Only the jet guys hit up happy hour Friday nights, unfortunately. It's a good time and free food, especially since KNUW is one of the last of the O Clubs. The issue is getting home. We can drink and be merry, but it's a 30 min drive home for half the wardroom and by the time the afternoon rolls around, everyone just wants to bail and go home (usually because we'd have to be at work Sat morning anyways).

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Tried to keep up relations at the O-Club...shitty staff, and a police force that was decidedly anti-military on the island plus the aforementioned drive, combined with the availability of good bars in Anacortes drove us away.

Randy's Pier 61 was our squadron bar. They treated us right and it was a quick cab ride home for the northern herd, and a haul for the southern herd. We made it ours.
Pickle

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh Randy's....the only place I've seen a more "interesting" assortment of people was the Florabama.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They actually do a surprisingly good Sunday brunch at Randy's.

Pags

N/A
pilot

You don't need money to have meetings to ensure that everyone plays nice together. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper if everyone just acts gentlemanly instead of trying to throw money at a problem. A montly meet and greet of stakeholders to air grievances , come up with solutions, and then follow up on solutions to ensure that things are still working well can go a long way to keeping relationships established and continuous mutual understanding.

While at Pax I had plenty of big wing aircraft delay their taxi so I could get airborne faster. They knew where I was going and that I'd be out of their way in 2min. I also returned the favor plenty of times. There was no shortage of explanatory radio calls to ground and between aircraft to ask for special treatment due to test needs, fuel reqs, etc.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We have a monthly safety council meeting at Oceana. Attended a couple when I was the NATOPS O, either with, or in lieu of the Safety O. I won't go as far as to say that it was eye opening, but it did open the eye to some of the base ops things going on behind the scenes. Such a thing would be a perfect forum for community vs community gripes, IMHO. I'm surprised that it isn't the standard at every NAS.