• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Extended Active Duty Obligation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edato

First off, I just took the ASTB yesterday and I think it went pretty well. On thing's for sure, that Marines ASTB study guide reallyhelped out a lot! Thanks to whomever posted the link. If anyone else wants it just email me Andrew.Paris@ndsu.nodak.edu

Anyway, I was talking to my recruiter and he said they just upped the active duty obligation from 8 yrs. to 10 yrs.! He said this was just done about two months ago. I wasn't aware of this and I'm just wondering if this is old news to everyone already, or if he has the wrong info. All the research I've done up to this point has said eight years after pilot training is done, now he says ten years after pilot training is finished. What is the latest news?

Edited by - edato on 07/19/2002 12:37:11

Hartman

I was sworn in for pilot today, and the documents I signed indicated that I have an eight-year obligation. Good luck!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
An 8 year initial obligation...

When you get winged in your respective platform, you incur another obligation.

For Props, I incurred 7 more years from my winging date.

Helos is 6 and jets are 8.

But, I haven't heard anything saying that they are now requiring 10, but then again I haven't been actively listening or reading anything that would have told me about that. Wouldn't surprise me.

edato

Well, I will have to talk to my recruiter again. He could've meant 8yrs. + training = 10, but I don't think so, he specifically said something about it happening two months ago. I think the Air Force is 10 though, right? Maybe they're getting all the services on the same page?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
John-
For pilots it is 8 years, regardless of platform. No idea though about the 10 year notion.

kraused

I'm with Kmac, with the 8 years following winging. I have heard that props and helos take less time than jets to earn your wings.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, they must have changed it, since I incurred only 7 years more obligation from my winging date... moot point, since that will put me just short of retirement anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.