• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expressing thanks and my personal expriences with Pro-Rec PILOT OCS

dirtybidness

Pro Rec SNA
Wanted to post and say thank you to all who have been very very helpful. The information shared here, with the sole purpose of helping one another achieve the same dream job, has been a major factor leading to my success thus far.

I began putting my packet together in July 2014, had significant wait times due to medical waivers, overriding NPQ letters from MEPS, being seen and passing MEPS, and getting everything spic and span. Submitted early January and heard back February 10 that I had been Pro-Rec'd for PILOT slot in Navy OCS. Today I heard from my recruiter with the OCS date of 12 April 2015. We haven't yet gotten the final Select Letter yet but my LCDR said he has access to the file which states what class they will eventually give me.

In short, thank you! This forum has invaluable information and relies almost entirely on people who have made it past certain steps contributing to help those desiring the same outcome. I now have two months to get as ready as is possible and hopefully kick some butt!

My stats:

GPA 3.25
Bachelor's degree in Psychology/Minor in Sociology from California State University, Chico
ASTB score 8/8/8/59
Extra curricular activities: Private pilot (ASEL), sports, JROTC, coaching, volunteering with the elderly, teaching swim to children and special needs individuals, surfing, biking, hiking, swimming, etc.

My father was a Naval Aviator and Navy Test Pilot (F-18's, F-4's, F-8's) and my grandfather was a Naval Aviator as well (A-4's), having spent 8 years in the Hanoi Hilton as a POW in the Vietnam War. . I didn't focus on my family background too much as I wanted to earn a commission without riding on the back of men in my family who earned their prestige. To benefit overwhelmingly from them, in particular my grandfather's POW experience, would imply that I deserve some of their prestige as well, which, in my opinion, I do not. While I didn't mention Gramps being a POW or state explicitly that I would be a third-generation Naval Aviator if afforded the opportunity, one of my letters of rec from a LCDR test pilot friend of the family did mention the "third generation" bit, so to say I didn't benefit from it at all would be a lie.

The ASTB was a challenge to study for but if I were to give advice on it, I would strongly urge applicants to wait to test until they are confident that they couldn't improve their scores by taking additional study time. In short, don't rush to take the test. Take it when you're ready. Be confident. Nerves seem to be the make-or-break factor. Eat a good breakfast and rest up beforehand, you won't regret it.

Good luck to all and don't be turned off if you don't get the answers you want right away. Persistence got me this far; the Army MEPS (which processes all services' applicants) tried to say I wasn't ever going to be qualified medically more than once. Unfortunately, my OR says many become disillusioned or discouraged after hearing "NO" one too many times. If you stick with it, and play it right, you can do this.

I haven't achieved anything yet...hell, I haven't even started OCS. However, I feel entitled to a small bit of humble pride over having been accepted; it looked bleak but I stuck with it and it paid off. I will update this site with anything I encounter that I feel will benefit applicants because I heavily relied on others doing so for me. Feel free to contact me with anything you are curious about and I will happily share with you the small amount of insight I can.

For anyone seeking some aviation motivation, this video has been a favorite since it was put up following the 2014 Hornet Ball. I must admit, I get an entirely different feeling re-watching it now that I've been Pro-Rec'd.

Again, thanks, airwarriors, and blue skies.

VR,

Attachments

• ridml3f1vgslrymzlsrh.gif
    ridml3f1vgslrymzlsrh.gif
    8.2 MB · Views: 15
  • Hornet-Ball-2014.png
    Hornet-Ball-2014.png
    548.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My father was a Naval Aviator and Navy Test Pilot (F-18's, F-4's, F-8's) and my grandfather was a Naval Aviator as well (A-4's), having spent 8 years in the Hanoi Hilton as a POW in the Vietnam War. .
Interesting & informative post! Well you've lifted off the deck, now pick up your gear, raise flaps and accelerate to climb speed, hopefully... a long, exciting and successful flight!:);):eek::cool:

If willing, please PM me w/ your 'Gramps' name & squadron as I may know him. I was home-based at NAS Lemoore in VA-146 (A-4s), from 1965-'68 and made the '66 RANGER & '67 CONSTELLATION deployments to Vietnam. Had several squadronmates POW during that period.:eek:

Looking forward to your PM.
604 Painting.jpg
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
My father was a Naval Aviator and Navy Test Pilot (F-18's, F-4's, F-8's) and my grandfather was a Naval Aviator as well (A-4's), having spent 8 years in the Hanoi Hilton as a POW in the Vietnam War.

Well done! Also like BzB I'd like your grandfathers name as well.

cdualney

Wanted to post and say thank you to all who have been very very helpful. The information shared here, with the sole purpose of helping one another achieve the same dream job, has been a major factor leading to my success thus far.

I began putting my packet together in July 2014, had significant wait times due to medical waivers, overriding NPQ letters from MEPS, being seen and passing MEPS, and getting everything spic and span. Submitted early January and heard back February 10 that I had been Pro-Rec'd for PILOT slot in Navy OCS. Today I heard from my recruiter with the OCS date of 12 April 2015. We haven't yet gotten the final Select Letter yet but my LCDR said he has access to the file which states what class they will eventually give me.

In short, thank you! This forum has invaluable information and relies almost entirely on people who have made it past certain steps contributing to help those desiring the same outcome. I now have two months to get as ready as is possible and hopefully kick some butt!

My stats:

GPA 3.25
Bachelor's degree in Psychology/Minor in Sociology from California State University, Chico
ASTB score 8/8/8/59
Extra curricular activities: Private pilot (ASEL), sports, JROTC, coaching, volunteering with the elderly, teaching swim to children and special needs individuals, surfing, biking, hiking, swimming, etc.

My father was a Naval Aviator and Navy Test Pilot (F-18's, F-4's, F-8's) and my grandfather was a Naval Aviator as well (A-4's), having spent 8 years in the Hanoi Hilton as a POW in the Vietnam War. . I didn't focus on my family background too much as I wanted to earn a commission without riding on the back of men in my family who earned their prestige. To benefit overwhelmingly from them, in particular my grandfather's POW experience, would imply that I deserve some of their prestige as well, which, in my opinion, I do not. While I didn't mention Gramps being a POW or state explicitly that I would be a third-generation Naval Aviator if afforded the opportunity, one of my letters of rec from a LCDR test pilot friend of the family did mention the "third generation" bit, so to say I didn't benefit from it at all would be a lie.

The ASTB was a challenge to study for but if I were to give advice on it, I would strongly urge applicants to wait to test until they are confident that they couldn't improve their scores by taking additional study time. In short, don't rush to take the test. Take it when you're ready. Be confident. Nerves seem to be the make-or-break factor. Eat a good breakfast and rest up beforehand, you won't regret it.

Good luck to all and don't be turned off if you don't get the answers you want right away. Persistence got me this far; the Army MEPS (which processes all services' applicants) tried to say I wasn't ever going to be qualified medically more than once. Unfortunately, my OR says many become disillusioned or discouraged after hearing "NO" one too many times. If you stick with it, and play it right, you can do this.

I haven't achieved anything yet...hell, I haven't even started OCS. However, I feel entitled to a small bit of humble pride over having been accepted; it looked bleak but I stuck with it and it paid off. I will update this site with anything I encounter that I feel will benefit applicants because I heavily relied on others doing so for me. Feel free to contact me with anything you are curious about and I will happily share with you the small amount of insight I can.

For anyone seeking some aviation motivation, this video has been a favorite since it was put up following the 2014 Hornet Ball. I must admit, I get an entirely different feeling re-watching it now that I've been Pro-Rec'd.

Again, thanks, airwarriors, and blue skies.

VR,

I'll be in the class with you as a fellow SNA. I feel the same way about this website. The wait for the FINSEL is driving me crazy; I won't truly believe this is happening until I swear in. Congratulations to you and here's to getting our letters this week

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What aweome news. Many congrats. So glad to hear that you all are making your dreams and goals come true with all your hard work. Glad to hear that this website helps in some small way to assist you in the process. Great stuff! Can't wait to read future posts as you all continue to kick ass and get those Wings of Gold.

V/R

JW

PS. Don't fuck up! ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another satisfied AW customer. I am thinking some of us that pull the weight around here have to start asking for a raise...er...some money, ok, maybe a beer or two from webmaster. Good luck young man!

haimehhh

aveman just saw this. congrats again. just retook the astb-e today and bumped my OAR score up a bit and did decent on the other section, thanks a bunch for the books. hope i'll be a couple months behind you from this upcoming board. let's grab a beer before you head out

r/,
jaime