• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Executive Order - No Texting while driving...

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Driving on most roads these days is much more akin to form flying. The distance involved (because people follow too close) could be easily equated to almost a parade position.

To complete the thought....

Lead doesn't know (nor care) that you are there. Would you take your eyes off of lead...even for a second?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
That was the facetious part - hence the smiley. I never claimed to be a better driver, just that the sim is not exactly realistic.

Driving in heavy traffic is like form flying - I grant that. I can understand banning driving distractions in urban areas where heavy traffic is the norm. But does that mean you place a blanket prohibition on the pilot at the controls at all times because certain portions of flight are task-intensive?

It's a driver judgement, just as deciding when it's safe to tune the radio, fiddle with the gps, and deal with unruly passengers are.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
It's a driver judgement, just as deciding when it's safe to tune the radio, fiddle with the gps, and deal with unruly passengers are.

IMHO all of these should be done while the vehicle is pulled off the road and stopped. Unless you have steering wheel controls so you don't have to be looking to do what you want to do, like changing the radio station.

Just my .02 cents...

Pags

N/A
pilot

The unwashed masses tend to lack judgement. Look around at the next stop light and you'll see people eating, applying makeup, texting, talking, basically doing anything but paying attention to driving. Hence why we need to pass laws like this. If everyone had excellent judgement, there'd be no need for these sorts of intrusive rules.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Doing anything other than driving while driving is absolutely retahded. I tried texting while driving once... got two letters out and decided not to ever do it again... and I was the only person on the road at the time.

Since then, I've almost been hit both in my car and walking/running bu some asshat doing something other than driving while driving. Nope... don't do it... rarely adjust my iPod while driving... and when I do, its just to hit the next song button... I will never try to change the playlist or select a specific song.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Holy Shit, common sense at work again! You can argue all you want that you are the best driver, with an awesome instrument scan, can text with your hands while driving with your knees and changing the radio with your nuts...but in the end you sound like an arrogant idiot. Texting while driving is stupid. It has, and will, kill people. This WILL protect people from idiots.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hard to tell without reading the verbiage in the EO, but if this EO applies to the military (pretty much every base has a no talking on phones while driving instruction already), it's not going to apply to your POV off-base driving. That's an assumption I'm making based on all the other rules that have been imposed about stuff like this. I can see them going down the "line of duty determination" path if it's deemed a factor in an accident, but those cases haven't had the best track record when challenged in court (I.E. motorcycle PPE). At any rate, it's probably not going to change much about how people live or drive.

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Hard to tell without reading the verbiage in the EO, but if this EO applies to the military (pretty much every base has a no talking on phones while driving instruction already), it's not going to apply to your POV off-base driving. That's an assumption I'm making based on all the other rules that have been imposed about stuff like this. At any rate, it's probably not going to change much about how people live or drive.

Brett

I know it is asking a bit much for anyone on the internet to actually read the actual source, but since you refuse to enter into hyperbole and exaggeration here it is: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press...hip-on-Reducing-Text-Messaging-while-Driving/

From context it sounds like Federal civilians only, but I'm sure "Federal Employee" is defined somewhere.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Keep in mind you've been pre-screened to be able to "drive" and tune the radio/fiddle w/ the GPS, even when you're "driving" off lead, not to mention you've been given a lot of practice doing it. I'm pretty sure the knit-wit that I was behind today on my way back from Publix was not pre-screened. Any idiot can get in a car and any idiot can text. Turns out any idiot does both at the same time.

Bevo16

pilot
It applies to military when:

Driving a government vehicle.
Driving a government procured rental vehicle.
Driving a POV on federal government property.

If you are driving your POV on your own time off base, you can feel free to kill yourself by texting while driving with no fear of violation of the UCMJ. I'll even certify your SGLI claim and Death Gratuity. I will, however, laugh at your dumb dead ass and make sure that the Safety Center includes highlights of your Line Of Duty Investigation in the next issue of "Darwin Awards".

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
A few weeks ago, my Div O and I were walking on base and almost got run over by someone texting. We had just left a command wide safety stand-down at the base gym.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For one, I believe no one should be "texting while driving." As a motorcycle rider, there is nothing more that gets my blood boiling than seeing a driver doing the "head bob" trying to write a damn text. They have no clue half of the time that I am even riding next to them. Thankfully it is a law that has been implemented here in CA.
Anyways, texting while driving is a huge risk and should be prohibited (in my opinion).

Yeah, right. I am still nearly sideswiped on a daily basis by some idiot (woman) driver yakking on her damn phone, driving a big ass SUV, which is FAR beyond her limited driving capability. :icon_rage

I don't see very many people getting pulled over for cell-ing, and nothing has changed in CA.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, right. I am still nearly sideswiped on a daily basis by some idiot (woman) driver yakking on her damn phone, driving a big ass SUV, which is FAR beyond her limited driving capability. :icon_rage

I don't see very many people getting pulled over for cell-ing, and nothing has changed in CA.

In many states, it's a secondary enforcement thing (I.E. they have to pull you over for some other reason, then they can hit you for the cell phone). Seat belt laws used to be like that too.

Brett