• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@sevenhelmet I do wonder what our stocks of "old" AIM-9s are to the point we'd be willing to part with them, much like a lot of what we've given them. Just because it's not an AIM-9X to take to the merge with a Flanker doesn't mean it isn't useful to them.

For example, we worked with them to convert old Osa/Buk systems to fire AIM-9 and AIM-7. Just like I'm good using old TOW rockets to pop the tops of T-72s

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
@sevenhelmet I do wonder what our stocks of "old" AIM-9s are to the point we'd be willing to part with them, much like a lot of what we've given them. Just because it's not an AIM-9X to take to the merge with a Flanker doesn't mean it isn't useful to them.

For example, we worked with them to convert old Osa/Buk systems to fire AIM-9 and AIM-7. Just like I'm good using old TOW rockets to pop the tops of T-72s

Good thing to wonder. I’m no expert by any means, but I imagine it’s a balancing act between us helping UKR and using up old ammo stocks while managing enough remaining inventory in case “oh shit” happens.

The low IR heat signature of Shitheads might limit the utility of the old AIM-9s against the drone threat. Depends on what generation the missiles are. Could maybe be better used against Russian fighter/attack aircraft- some of which they were made to bring down.

Weapon/target pairing is definitely being stretched to the limit over there.

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Good thing to wonder. I’m no expert by any means, but I imagine it’s a balancing act between us helping UKR and using up old ammo stocks while managing enough remaining inventory in case “oh shit” happens.

The low IR heat signature of Shitheads might limit the utility of the old AIM-9s against the drone threat. Depends on what generation the missiles are. Could maybe be better used against Russian fighter/attack aircraft- some of which they were made to bring down.

Weapon/target pairing is definitely being stretched to the limit over there.
An AIM-9 seems like overkill - couldn’t you just some guided version of a 2.75” rocket ?

Random8145

You're right. The problem is two-fold. How do you manage closure when you're hundreds of knots faster than the target, and if you get in close enough to hit the thing, how do you avoid the frag envelope?

That's the crux of my argument against F-16 (or MiG-29 or Su-27, or any fast jet) vs. Shaheed. A slower platform (helo, prop, etc.) with the maneuverability to turn behind the drone could make a bigger difference, especially if it doesn't need to reload every 4th time the trigger is squeezed.
Slight tangent, but why do modern fighter planes even have machine guns if the pilot only gets like four trigger pulls? Is that really enough to defend against an enemy plane?

taxi1

pilot
Slight tangent, but why do modern fighter planes even have machine guns if the pilot only gets like four trigger pulls? Is that really enough to defend against an enemy plane?
These days, it’s mostly used for air shows and other public displays.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
These days, it’s mostly used for air shows and other public displays.

Huh? When was the last time you saw someone actually shoot a gun at an airshow? Those are the shows I need to be attending. Usually it’s just pre-placed pyros that are timed to a low pass.

The gun is a solid tool for strafing or suppression fire- it was our (F/A-18 community’s) most requested weapon in Afghanistan for years. It also has utility as a final option in A/A combat. The low trigger time is a function of high bullet density at 6000 rounds per minute, so it will be effective against the targets it was designed for- e.g. not 100 knot drones.

taxi1

pilot
Huh? When was the last time you saw someone actually shoot a gun at an airshow?
At the NAS Chase Field airshow in 1991 we ran the T2 gun pattern along the show line with instructors flying. They let kids pick up the spent rounds along the runway after the show.