• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One difference I seem to be noticing in recent reporting is that they don't seem to be doing this recently. I seem to be reading that the Surovkin Line was set up for a defense in depth, but whoever is now calling the shots is insisting that they defend everything at the first line. ISW has been claiming that this has caused the Russians not to be able to develop any kind of reserve formations at the operational level, and they've had to play a shell game to move units to defend the Ukrainian counteroffensives.

Which makes me wonder whether if they do eventually break, they'll break big. But not being an Army/Marine Corps type, I don't know enough about how all the minefields, etc. would still hold up the Ukrainians.
This is a great question. Right now Russian minefields are working very well preventing any consolidated Ukrainian breakthroughs. But it is worth considering that if the Russians lack the reserves how badly will they collapse if the Ukrainian forces are able to break the rubberband?

One thing I think folks are not really factoring is just how much the Ukrainian tactics and doctrine have changed, or not. While there has been a huge mindset change at the lower level of the Ukrainian military how much has changed at the middle and higher ranks? I don't know but while it appears there have been changes at that level I question just how deep they have gotten. Significant reforms in training really started only about 2014 and deeper changes at the leadership level often take a generation or two to really take root, if they do.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Zhukov’s work in 1939 Manchukuo was a masterpiece of defense in depth - something the Russians excel at - to include his counter attack. He remained the master of defense when fighting the Germans, but his (and others) offensive work was more a matter of allied material supporting Soviet mass to create an “affordability of action.” In short, he was a skilled leader who understood the importance of supporting your logistics to support your front.
SUPPO (EXLOG) agrees ?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
You forget chubby….but otherwise pretty close.
In order to merge this thread with the Football thread, here's last Saturday at the UT Ball game. This grad student obviously was unaware of the efficacy of suspenders, and was probably/maybe overserved. Clearly needs a hip-pocket class on suspenders. ?

20231001_201651.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thought this was an interesting read: why Slovakia’s policy changed so dramatically after their last election- it’s personal.

Why Slovakia’s Fico hates Ukraine​

The new Slovak PM still bears a grudge for how he was treated in Kyiv in 2009.

Thought this was an interesting read: why Slovakia’s policy changed so dramatically after their last election- it’s personal.

Why Slovakia’s Fico hates Ukraine​

The new Slovak PM still bears a grudge for how he was treated in Kyiv in 2009.

I’m still amazed at how many believe this UKR is full Nazi-Werewolf-drug-dealers BS. Maybe I need to go post on the “Am I the ass hole?” Sub Reddit and set myself straight?

Edit: turn “IKR” into “UKR”

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. Apparently UKR destroyed a lot of RUS aviation assets yesterday in the occupied territory of UKR. We should have given them the capability earlier, but I'm glad it's showing up now.

Obviously not verified stuff, but seems legit.

Total is looking like 24 airframes destroyed or heavily damaged, for the cost of 8 decommissioned, expired missiles. Helluva bargain.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Total is looking like 24 airframes destroyed or heavily damaged, for the cost of 8 decommissioned, expired missiles. Helluva bargain.
Interesting..Didn't know that was a decommissioned variant. Thanks for the info. Why wouldn't we give them more, if they're fucking up 24 airframes? I'm guessing the Russians are rethinking their aircraft parking plans...

Mirage

pilot
Interesting..Didn't know that was a decommissioned variant. Thanks for the info. Why wouldn't we give them more, if they're fucking up 24 airframes? I'm guessing the Russians are rethinking their aircraft parking plans...
Source I read said they were not decommissioned per se, but we decided we most likely wouldn't use them because they are cluster munitions and that's frowned upon. Seem to have been the right tool for the job here.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

From what I’ve seen, we gave them the earliest variants that were potentially expired stocks. Cluster variant though, which is great for soft targets like airfields or troop concentration points, but not armored targets. I’m sure the UKR targeteers have some ideas. Wish we would’ve done it earlier.