• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Coming across my LinkedIn feed today . . . a Twitter (X?) thread from a Ukrainian doing training with the US in Germany.

There's strong, and then there's Army strong . . . ?

Meh. I bet you some of those Ukrainian soldiers didn’t know the basics of what was being taught. Individual tasks, followed by collective unit tasks at the squad/platoon/company level then larger maneuver at the battalion and brigade level. Complexity increases over time but you can’t do one before the other. Nothing in that thread is shocking at all.

Expecting to be dropped into Graf and executing complex combined arms live fire maneuver is just junior solider ignorance. It takes most Marine units about 2 weeks on average to unfuck themselves at any service level training exercise before everyone is cooking with crisco. Not exactly a fan of Army training, but in comparison to the rest of the world - Still heads and heels above.

GroundPounder

Coming across my LinkedIn feed today . . . a Twitter (X?) thread from a Ukrainian doing training with the US in Germany.

When everyone down the line adds in 30 minutes to the timeline to avoid any possibility of not being on time, you easily can arrive at 0500 for a 0900 assignment.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but 6 years with the Army has left this as a lifetime affliction.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
When everyone down the line adds in 30 minutes to the timeline to avoid any possibility of not being on time, you easily can arrive at 0500 for a 0900 assignment.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but 6 years with the Army has left this as a lifetime affliction.

You're not the only one. In the USN, we regularly showed up at 0700 for airlifts that sometimes didn't depart until 1300, because everyone in the chain of command added a "safety factor" to the showtime.

I hated that.

GroundPounder

You're not the only one. In the USN, we regularly showed up at 0700 for airlifts that sometimes didn't depart until 1300, because everyone in the chain of command added a "safety factor" to the showtime.

I hated that.
I try really hard not to do that to other people, but I can't break the habit individually.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

The training cycle goes like this: CRAWL…WALK…RUN. Likely some of theses Ukrainians have seen combat at the WWII/Korean War level, something none of the US trainers have experienced, but they are probably equally unskilled at nuanced joint operations at the brigade level.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Notice a good deal of EU/NATO social media posts highlighting inter-euro coperation and exercises. Example here with Netherlands and Germany.

Man I bet their exercise debriefs are epic with the quality of beer available!

Notice that the training rifles are a M16 varient plastic/non-functioning weapon but blank firing drills are with issue G36. Hard charging, fit dudes. They impress!!!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I watch a YouTube video from a think tank re: the Russo-Ukrainian War, I'm reminded of one of my biggest ex-COCOM-staff-officer pet peeves . . .

"Compellance" is not an English word. The word that is supposed to be used is "compulsion." I will die on this hill, the entire foreign policy establishment seems to not understand basic English grammar, and it drives me inordinately bugshit.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As I watch a YouTube video from a think tank re: the Russo-Ukrainian War, I'm reminded of one of my biggest ex-COCOM-staff-officer pet peeves . . .

"Compellance" is not an English word. The word that is supposed to be used is "compulsion." I will die on this hill, the entire foreign policy establishment seems to not understand basic English grammar, and it drives me inordinately bugshit.

Don't even get me started on all the cute words we have derived from business culture. Know what makes me want to blow my brains out? The word "ask", in its present popular usage.

Random8145

The grammar fail that gets me is when people say "could of" and "should of."