• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Random8145

This has been coming for a while, but hard to say what impact it’ll have short-term. Long term is a different story. The dollar has lost 94% of its purchasing power in the last 100 years, and US debt-to-GDP is at an all-time high.

It’s going to be painful. We’ll probably have to rebase our currency at some point- the inertia of Breton Woods is running out.
On the dollar losing its purchasing power though, remember that standard of living has also massively increased. And part of the reason for the loss in purchasing power is inflation, of which economists generally regard a low level of inflation as healthy as it allows for the ability to reduce the money supply without causing deflation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting news from China and Brazil:

It was recently said that since the implosion of the Soviet Union, we have been living in a “Post-War World” but with Covid and Ukraine, it now is starting to feel like a “Pre-War World”

They're not ditching the dollar, they are just not using it in some of their bilateral trade. *Shrug*

Griz already said it well, while our economy isn't all peaches and cream right now we are among the least worst while the BRICS are....well, in a whole 'nother category.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
No serious country is going to want to puts in dollars in a currency whose country wields currency controls.

Hard pass.
I agree with you - as do most economists and analysts - yetttttt - this divestment away from the dollar by China looks like a country watching what economic sanctions did to Russia and building alternate financial pathways for important suppliers of food, oil and raw materials so that if a conflict begins, sanctions could be circumvented.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Saw a couple of interesting items: Norway is trying to produce more ammunition for Ukraine, but the manufacturing plant does not have enough electric power due to a Tik Tok server farm.

And French President Macron had some remarks in China:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

"Strategic Autonomy" my ass.

The French are gonna French... surrender is endemic to their culture, as is stabbing the US in the eye (and the back). I sure hope none of our OPLANs count on their support.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Saw a couple of interesting items: Norway is trying to produce more ammunition for Ukraine, but the manufacturing plant does not have enough electric power due to a Tik Tok server farm.

Very French thing to say, but I think Mr. Macron has bigger fish to fry in his on homeland. This is just deflection.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Strategic Autonomy" my ass.

The French are gonna French... surrender is endemic to their culture, as is stabbing the US in the eye (and the back). I sure hope none of our OPLANs count on their support.
I'm not sure that's a fair assessment. The French have been there a lot for us over the past few decades, and they remain one of the most capable militaries in NATO. Turns out, their opposition to OIF was probably justified, hindsight, being what it is. They have their own political audiences to handle at home, and this is certainly part of that... nothing new there.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure that's a fair assessment. The French have been there a lot for us over the past few decades, and they remain one of the most capable militaries in NATO. Turns out, their opposition to OIF was probably justified, hindsight, being what it is. They have their own political audiences to handle at home, and this is certainly part of that... nothing new there.
That, plus the ability to maintain enough capability to project power autonomously is at the core of French strategic doctrine all the way back to De Gaulle. Yes, their capabilities pale in comparison to ours, but they are for example one of the only European countries (aside from the UK) that has their own tankers, strategic airlift, ISR, and a carrier strike group.

Mirage

pilot
France is scared of following the US into a conflict with a country that doesn't threaten them, but us? While we started and have been the backbone of an Alliance they're party to that exists entirely to protect Europe from a country that does not threaten us, but them? And after bailing them out of 2 world wars? The irony is hilarious.

Random8145

That, plus the ability to maintain enough capability to project power autonomously is at the core of French strategic doctrine all the way back to De Gaulle. Yes, their capabilities pale in comparison to ours, but they are for example one of the only European countries (aside from the UK) that has their own tankers, strategic airlift, ISR, and a carrier strike group.
Do they really have any real airlift capability though? I ask because I know about a decade ago they needed us to airlift their troops into Mali. When the Libya operation was going on in 2011, they had to withdraw their aircraft carrier the Charles de Gaulle because it essentially broke down. Also could Macron's behavior be related to the French being upset about the U.S. messing up their submarine deal with the Australians?