• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ERAU

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbospider2k

Greetings all,

My name is Jon, and I have recently been accepted to Embry-Riddle on an Aeronautical Sci. degree. I'm seriously considering an attempt at flying for the navy or coast guard - dad flew sea kings and I had self-taught myself enough about aviation and aeronautics by age five to just about pass exams with flying colors (pardon the pun).

From what the ER naval av. club claims, ERAU produces 2nd highest number of aviators for the navy, behind the NA. How many people out there were ERAU undergrads/grads? What are their opinions of the school? I've read a few posts about the subject. Main 'complaint' seems to be that it's expensive as all hell, but, seeing as I lack all financial responsibility, it doesn't bother me. Yet.

I've heard vague things about their "Guaranteed Flight Training" program - anyone out there an alum. of this? What was that like? Additionally, they're starting up NROTC in fall '03 (when I would start). Sounds like a decent deal in terms of paying for your education, but does it help my military flight chances (assuming I pass MEPS and all the other acronyms)? As of right now the school is my first choice - eating, breathing and sleeping aviation sounds delightful to me, even if it is accompanied by a severe lack of the opposite sex.

On a seperate note, my vision is not ideal @ -2.00. Near-sighted, but not too badly. Don't know if that converts to a better-than 20/40 (it IS correctable), but here's the question - What is the Navy's, and the military in general's - stance on LASIK? Is surgical correction considered 20/20, or do I need to be 20/40 CORRECTED BY LASIK to 20/20?

Thanks,

Jon Selman

turbospider2k

I made Daytona campus - Prescott looks great, and the airspace actually has airspace, but it's kind of far, and not exactly my location (no saltwater).

I've done some reading about PRK and possible LASEK being accepted by the navy. I'm partially hoping they relax their standards over the next two or three years (if I don't make guaranteed flight training). PRK sounds like a veritable hell of pain, and I'm not sure my vision is bad enough to warrant it. I'll have to ask around.

I'm heading down there next saturday to check it out. That should clear up the nrotc questions, and hopefully the flight contract stuff as well.

marti

Let me start by saying that ERAU is a great school, and I am sure you will like it alot. Especially since it sounds like you don't have to worry about paying for it yourself. I don't know all that much about NROTC but I do know about BDCP. My advice is to go to school, have fun, and in a year or two start applying for BDCP. This is definitley the best route to become a pilot and make some descent money at the same time. If you where unsure about what you wanted to do in the navy then maybe I would suggest NROTC only because you are able to get exposure from other Navy career options. Since you know flying is what you want to do I say BDCP. Trust me, if I would have known about this program a few years ago I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

JoeAE2005

I'm currently here at the Daytona ERAU campus, ending my sophomore year. The lack of girls WILL get to you, believe me, it hurts. I look forward going home over the summer just for the fact that there are actually girls in my hometown!

Anyhow, you said you had -2.00, and that roughly translates to around 20/200 or so. You would definitely have to get PRK surgery eventually, although i would hold off a couple years to be sure your vision does not change. I wouldn't even think about getting LASIK, don't believe it's waiverable at this time.

Anyhow, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Although you'd be better off emailing me, chassc22@erau.edu

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LASIK is a no-no. No waiver, no chance. For any Navy program. PRK was accepted as a study program. It is full now. When you graduate from ERAU they may have approved it for general acceptance. Don't bank on it. They may study the particpants for many years. Wait and see. By the way. What is it about you guys that you would rather ask strangers on the web about this stuff then talk to a recruiter? There is great stuff here, but consider it amplifying information. Lots of bad gouge here. Ask someone with the training and resources. I have spent over six years in recruiting, active and reserve, and have only very rarely found a recruiter that was not first rate. These guys get paid to put people in the Navy. They want you to get in. The more people a recruiter puts in the better his FITREP. If you don't have a warm fuzzy about an answer from a recruiter than post it here or call someone else. I've been around a long time. I know naval aviation and recruiting. You will rarely get the wrong info from a recruiter. You may not hear what you want to, that doesn't mean it isn't accurate.

wilsonator

i went to erau daytona. i'm now waiting to class up for API in the navy. so i'm not sure how much if any my erau degree will help me. i do think it helped me get the pilot slot in the navy. erau is expensive, too expensive in my opinion. for that reason i would not do it again especially since i heard tuition is almost 10k per semester, when i graduated it was about 6k. so while all my roommates are buying new cars i'm paying student loans. if i get jets and they don't then i suppose it's worth it. but i think it has more to do with determination and study habits. also, make sure you have a backup plan. if you know you want to be a pilot no matter what then erau not a bad choice. you can get a cfi, and teach and work for an airline in the future. good luck.

jeannott

If you want a real school go to UND. There are so many former erau students here because it is cheaper and better edu. Ask the alum who spanked there rear end each year in the flying team comp. Oh, by the way there is no shortage of the opposite sex here.Good luck.

turbospider2k

I figure I can find a rich girl who's datty paid her way through liberal arts school and marry into the money - should cover the riddle costs (ha).

No way could I do ND. I hate D.C. weather as it is. There didn't seem to be any shortage of other colleges in/around daytona while I was down there (checked it out last week - great place), so there's gotta be some amount of scrod available.

Yea - I definately want to be a pilot, no matter what. If not Navy or Coast Guard (HH-60 or 65 would be suhweet), then maybe as a ghetto bird or some other amusing flight profession. Maybe do that tre-top flyer thing. Fly low and fast with unknown cargos....

wilsonator

i will say i had a blast in daytona beach. we always ate at sapporos, a japanese steak house, for lunch. it was such a good deal, it's down beachside on seabreeze, check that place out for sure. when we went to a bar there would always be tons of guys in pilot uniforms. that's because most of the flight schools required their instructors to dress like airline pilots for some unknown reason. and these flight instructors thought it was really cool to get bombed out in town in their penguin suits. that was real stupid, don't do that, I always thought those dudes were such tools. it's not hard to throw a polo shirt in your car for happy hour.

Alex Fowler

Jean--not sure if you mean Notre Dame or North Dakota, but if it's the former...

14-7!!!!

BC 14, Notre Dame 7
GO EAGLES!!

turbospider2k

I noticed the instructors walking around in uniform - getting plowed while wearing that is definately not a good idea. That's what army uniforms are for.

Speaking of flight instructors, did anybody on the board get certified at riddle as an instructor? I hear juniors/seniors are eligible for hiring by riddle as part time fi's. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Patmack-
Purdue is definately top notch. It has a liberal arts section to supply the women, the only issues are the weather (granted better than ND's Notre Dame) and the location. I mean really who wants to live in the middle of Indiana?

All I need to do is get some flight experience before attempting to join. I know how to build 'em but need more time flying 'em.

Kobyra

Dixon

Contributor
yeah you are eligible to insruct part time but all the part timers were laid off at the begining of last semester....and about 30 full timers were let go at the end of semester....its a great school and i would most def. look into nrotc....wish it came here sooner

GGrandpa123

Im a senior aerosci at Daytona. The flight training at this school really is top notch, however, everything else here is subpar. If you like bad customer service, and absolutely no help in job placement, then riddle is for you. I was in afrotc my first semester here and hated it. The currnet rate for the 172 with instructor is $154 per hour. If i had it to do all over again i'd definitely go to a real school, i.e. UF or FSU, and just do rotc or bdcp. most of the students here constantly complain about everything at the school, mainly the complete lack of women. if that doesnt bother you, then you might like it here. also, the more and more i hear, the airlines or the military really dont look higher on an erau degree than any other. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.