• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EOD candidate

Jneal94

Good evening everyone,

As I know this website is for air warriors, it is also filled with a plethora of knowledge from prior OCS candidates. I have been accepted to OCS (from the fleet) as an EOD trainee. My question is pertaining to fitness, with emphasis on swimming. Will there be opportunities to keep my swim skills sharp while going through OCS, There has been relatively little information on this topic around the web. Just keeping my fitness in check in general, I.e. pull-ups, swims, and long runs. Is this something I will be able to continue to progress in, or will it just be a “suck it up” situation once I get to dive school? Any information is greatly appreciated. Standing by for guidance. Thank you!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Good evening everyone,

As I know this website is for air warriors, it is also filled with a plethora of knowledge from prior OCS candidates. I have been accepted to OCS (from the fleet) as an EOD trainee. My question is pertaining to fitness, with emphasis on swimming. Will there be opportunities to keep my swim skills sharp while going through OCS, There has been relatively little information on this topic around the web. Just keeping my fitness in check in general, I.e. pull-ups, swims, and long runs. Is this something I will be able to continue to progress in, or will it just be a “suck it up” situation once I get to dive school? Any information is greatly appreciated. Standing by for guidance. Thank you!

You might have better luck in the SEAL/NSW forums. I think it's called navyseals.com, but could be wrong here.

JoeBob1788

I was 10 years enlisted EOD.

There is opportunity for you to use the pool after indoc phase, and EOD candidates get early gym privileges as well. There are pull-up bars right outside of the barracks, again I think we couldn’t use them until after indoc. Your PST scores won’t be affected by OCS, or might improve… I was pretty quick in dive school, and while not close to my fastest did run sub-9 at OCS. The pool is run by a cool rescue swimmer guy, no doubt he can help you out if you need anything particular from the pool.

If you have any questions about OCS or EOD in general, DM me. Always happy to help.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Good evening everyone,

Yes, you will have opportunities to stay in EOD shape as @JoeBob1788 already mentioned. Not only will you have access to perform special workouts but if any of the drill instructors or chiefs are SOF types they will take you aside and help you stay in shape. This happened for a buddy of mine who was a SEAL candidate in my class. One of the DIs was Force Recon and would call my buddy down to his office every day to work on pull-ups, push-ups and some of the other PST exercises.

Also, if you have any SEAL or EOD guys in your class, you'll be able to have swim buddies. One of the classes behind mine had all of the EOD OCS accessions for YG12 in it as well as two SEAL types (One Fleet accession and one prospective SEAL off of civvie street). Those four were pretty much allowed to run morning PT for the class. You may find yourself in a similar position. Suffice it to say, there's really nothing to worry about. The Navy isn't going to waste their investment on you while you're at OCS.

Also, if you haven't already, go register at https://www.socnet.com/ and get in with those guys. They will have tons of advice about doing the whole EOD and SPECWAR thing.

villo0692

When I was a Candio at OCS, the incoming class I was in charge of had like 3-4 SEAL Officer candidates. One of them was already a pinned SEAL with like 12 years of service. Their class team allowed for them to start using the track, pullup bars and gym as early as indoc phase. They just had to work it around their scheduled OCS activities.

I also was the recorder during their RLP inspection, for all of them. It was incredible

Anyhoo, good luck

Jneal94

When I was a Candio at OCS, the incoming class I was in charge of had like 3-4 SEAL Officer candidates. One of them was already a pinned SEAL with like 12 years of service. Their class team allowed for them to start using the track, pullup bars and gym as early as indoc phase. They just had to work it around their scheduled OCS activities.

I also was the recorder during their RLP inspection, for all of them. It was incredible

Anyhoo, good luck
Is there a pool at the gym? Thank you for the response and best wishes!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
It's been a while but there are two pools at OTCN. One is the base pool and the other is the survival training pool. You'll probably be able to use either one.

JoeBob1788

The pool right next to the barracks has open swim hours that you as an EOD candidate should be able to use early on. It opens for everyone during Candio. Your schedule might not allow you to take advantage of too much outside of PT and pull-ups, but as long as your PST is good prior to OCS your conditioning won’t suffer. I have heard that winter OCS classes get a lot of indoor PT, which sucked. I was an August-November class and we had tons of good running and decent PT. You’ll improve as much as you want to, you won’t be stuck running slowly.

Dive school is mostly calisthenics and running, with some good fin swims and treads. Not making it to the gym, while it sucks, won’t impact your PCB performance too much.

Have you been able to mudpup?

Jneal94

The pool right next to the barracks has open swim hours that you as an EOD candidate should be able to use early on. It opens for everyone during Candio. Your schedule might not allow you to take advantage of too much outside of PT and pull-ups, but as long as your PST is good prior to OCS your conditioning won’t suffer. I have heard that winter OCS classes get a lot of indoor PT, which sucked. I was an August-November class and we had tons of good running and decent PT. You’ll improve as much as you want to, you won’t be stuck running slowly.

Dive school is mostly calisthenics and running, with some good fin swims and treads. Not making it to the gym, while it sucks, won’t impact your PCB performance too much.

Have you been able to mudpup?
Unfortunately I was not able to mudpup; however my current command, while not EOD, is NSW. This has obviously helped a ton!