• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Pilots Yay or Nay

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Sorry, I was speaking specifically to selecting out of flight school. The threat of a tour sometime in our career is very possible.

Renegade One

None
I'm reminded that a high percentage of carrier pilots all during the 1930's and through the opening months of WWII were enlisted NAPs. The original "Fighting TWO" was called "The Flying Chiefs" because I think everyone who flew, save the CO and XO I imagine, were NAPs. The airplanes didn't seem to care.

brownshoe

Contributor
I'm reminded that a high percentage of carrier pilots all during the 1930's and through the opening months of WWII were enlisted NAPs. The original "Fighting TWO" was called "The Flying Chiefs" because I think everyone who flew, save the CO and XO I imagine, were NAPs. The airplanes didn't seem to care.

I can remember getting aboard the C47 stationed at Cecil for a flight to Yuma for a bombing practice det. An O-4 boarded and got into the right seat. Well, I’m thinking to myself “who the hell is flyin’ this rig” when a squared away
E-9 Marine (with wings) strolls up and settles into the left seat. Time frame was of course the mid 60’s.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I never watched that one, just the "real" one....with lions. Or maybe that was a different show that was trying sell me Sugar Chocolate Cocoa Bombs.

That video is actually about right for this latest det. The last one was formed incredibly quickly. This one is taking a little longer (probably at a more realistic pace).

Renegade One

None
I can remember getting aboard the C47 stationed at Cecil for a flight to Yuma for a bombing practice det. An O-4 boarded and got into the right seat. Well, I’m thinking to myself “who the hell is flyin’ this rig” when a squared away
E-9 Marine (with wings) strolls up and settles into the left seat. Time frame was of course the mid 60’s.
When you have "skin in the game"...always go with the most qualified pilot...not the most senior. Just sayin'...

blackbart22

pilot
The pilot of the rescue helo that picked me up (finally) after my first crash was a chief. circa 1960. When I checked in to VT-21 as an instructor in '65, the leading Chief wore aviator wings. He had some miror problem that kept him from passing his flight physical, but every time we got a new flight surgeon, he'd go down and get another physical. Rumor was that the XO had told him that if he got an up-chit, he could get checked out in the F-9 thereby being the one and only jet pilot chief.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm reminded that a high percentage of carrier pilots all during the 1930's and through the opening months of WWII were enlisted NAPs.

I'm reminded that when as a new ENS, when I checked into my first Squadron VF-94 at Alameda, I ran into my first NAP at the Club. There were quite a few of them there, and at Moffett then in 1958. As far as I know, they were all in the 2 VR Squadrons flying R4/5/6Ds & NAS Station SNBs (bug smashers). These salty ol' dudes had logged 15-30k hours, had a 'tude, and took s**t from no one.

The end of the NAP Program had already begun, but the Navy let it fade away slowly by attrition, retirement mostly. I think they were completely gone by mid-'60s, so Brownshoe must have been transported by one of the last of the NAPs.

As Renegade stated, the airplanes didn't care...these ol' Gents were GOOD, and they proudly wore the same Wings Of Gold as we do.:cool:
BzB

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Only the landings for most UASs don't involve anything like that "pilot shit" we're used to.

As with anything, the answer depends on the mission and type of gear involved. For those who hope it's all enlisted, be careful what you wish for. In all (hopefully) of our lifetimes and in some of our careers, there will be an all-UAS CVN air wing.

M1252

FS SNA, OCS 08 July '12
Good to know, thanks for the responses. Looks like the chances of getting a UAV det are growing. Pardon the ignorance, but would pilots assigned to a UAV still be required to maintain a minimum number of flight hours behind the controls of a manned aircraft, or does the Navy consider controlling a UAV to be sufficient to maintain skill level (or is this not yet known)? Once again, I know this is a long way off for someone who still has to get through OCS/API/Primary/etc... But have to say I like to idea of flying manned aircraft better than unmanned (although I know each serves a purpose)!

Flugelman

Contributor
The end of the NAP Program had already begun, but the Navy let it fade away slowly by attrition, retirement mostly. I think they were completely gone by mid-'60s, so Brownshoe must have been transported by one of the last of the NAPs.

As Renegade stated, the airplanes didn't care...these ol' Gents were GOOD, and they proudly wore the same Wings Of Gold as we do.:cool:
BzB

We had several (3 or 4) LDO ex-APs in VR-7 Det A in the early '60s. IIRC they were all O-4.