• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted as of now, Hopefully one day commisioned!

jdean3204

Hello everyone!

My name is James and I am a 21 year old enlisted sailor (ATAN DEAN). I am currently an avionics tech in the Navy and although i love my job, it's not my dream. However, about a year and a half ago, i got into some trouble while being a young airmen and went to mast not once but twice for it (under age drinking). Now I am worried that I may have ruined my chances of one day becoming a pilot. The reasoning behind my worries is because i have shot myself in the foot for the STA-21 program for another year and a half. By the time i can submitt a packet i will be 5 months from getting out (at age 24) and hopefully continuing my ERAU degree in Aeronautical science. My goal is to obtain my degree and certain flight certificates and then submit an OCS packet. The only problem I am foreseeing with this is that i will be 27 years of age at the time i get my degree, and knowing how the Navy works it takes some time for the application progress. I am just looking for some guidence and maybe some answers to this issue I am having. Some of you may read the fact that i got into some trouble and may doubt the fact that I am seriously a good kid that just made some bad decisions in 2008. I have since then bounced back with two straight EP evals and junior sailor of the quarter the very next quarter after my mast. So even though I found some trouble, I am willing to do what ever it takes to reach my dreams and goals. I hope to hear back from anyone out there who can give me advice, thank you for reading as this was a loooong blog.....:)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Hey sailor, keep on keeping on. You have obviously showed you bounced back since going to mast. The Navy loves a good success story. You made mistakes and you learned from it, obviously your superiors feel that way or you wouldn't have gotten that EP. The powers that be are not naive and thinking that a young sailor, teenager, or college student isn't going to find some trouble along the way. You obviously have put some time into thinking about your future. Keep the track you're on...there are guys who have gotten picked up with all kinds of issues in their past. Many worse than yours..

I had an interesting route to becoming a commissioned officer myself. Keep kicking ass at your job and setting yourself up for success. Anytime along the way that you have to fill out why you want to become an officer just play the I was young and dumb card and show them all the great things you've done and will continue to do since.

If you don't get it the next go around...keep going. You will also have the advantage of getting an age waiver going for you if you end up having to keep applying after you get out and have that degree.

Good luck,

- Sooner

As an aside, don't try and break yourself getting any prior flight time if you just don't have the money. The Navy will train you to fly...It might help in flight school (the experience), but it's not going to help enough to justify the price tag of getting flight time to get selected for a pilot slot. Save that money for booze. (Now that you're of legal age ;) )

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Keep pressing man, you can apply and the worst they can tell you is no. There are all sorts in the Officer corps, and a little thing like mast doesn't have to hold you back. It will be looked at, but how you react and move on will also be looked at.
Pickle

navy09

None
While somewhat rare, I knew a STA-21 guy that had been to mast a handful of times. I think he ended up figuring out a way to get one or two of them expunged or something. Don't remember the details but to answer your question, mast isn't an automatic disqualifier as long as some time has passed and you've got a proven track record since then- which it looks like you do.

OscarMyers

None
A guy i was stationed with got a DUI in his first command, Some time had passed, he made rank with a quickness and got picked up for pilot toward the end of his sea tour. Its not an end all thing but you do have to learn from it and work hard to overcome it. You need to be that go to guy, taking charge and volunteer for the difficult jobs.

Shpion1

Contributor
Keep up "superior sustained performance" don't get in trouble again and keep that ultimate goal in mind. I went ECP (STA-21 of EONS ago) and had classmates that had previously been in trouble but cleaned up their act. Sounds like you're doing the same. There are waivers available up to 48 mos for prior service. It will depend on the need for pilots/officers when your OCS package/age waiver comes through. If pilot not available, plenty of other ways to serve that are a blast. (don't go supply). Keep an eye on the ball.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
midn09 said:
mast isn't an automatic disqualifier as long as some time has passed and you've got a proven track record since then- which it looks like you do.
I forget the exact number, but it's no mast convictions within the last 24 or 36 months.

It is very possible to get in trouble as a junior enlisted guy, get your act together, and commission via STA-21. Ask me how I know. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Like the others have said, stick with it. I knew several STA-21 folks in NROTC who had gotten into trouble in their junior E days. No worries, be that sailor that your chiefs and DIVO's want to keep in uniform. You are only 21 at this point, and have many more years before you need to worry about the age thing. STA-21's routinely get waived to 29 yrs/old for SNA apps based upon their prior enlisted service, and I'd think that you are on a good timeline to at the very least meet that requirement. Remember that another requirement of the STA-21 program is that you complete school in 3 years, not the traditional 4. My guess is that you can make it happen sooner than you think. Keep in mind that the age requirement is for the day you start flight training, ie right after you commission.

Tomodachi

pilot
You still have almost 2 years left in the Navy? Why must you wait on progressing toward your degree? I'm 21 years old MA2 and about to finish my BS in criminal justice in under 2 years time. The credits you get from "A" school help. There are CLEP/DSST/ECE exams you can take for FREE just ask the college office. I have passed 9 of these exams using different resources and plan on taking more. Ofcourse, my college is Excelsior which may not be as prestigous as a degree from ERAU, I will still have the check in the block.

As far as your mast situation goes, hell I have never met a Master Chief who hasnt been to mast. You can go to MAST for just about anything these days, I know because of my job. Getting caught underage drinking sucks but honestly who hasnt had a drink underage? As everyone has stated before, just keep pressing on man dont let it get you down, do your best in your shop, start working toward your degree NOW, dont wait. Theres no excuses if you are on a boat either there are NCPACE and CD-ROM courses you can take underway. You can finish a degree.... 6 years until you are 27 is a LONG TIME and your wasting all the resources you have while you are active duty.

jdean3204

Thank you for all the input everyone, it was very helpful. I will be sure to take everything you have said in stride. I have already started my school at ERAU here on base, however due to a Haiti relief det I was part of, I had to drop last semester, but there is always next semester! I guess i need to stop dwelling on the past and proceed to the future and good things shall happen. As far as the waiver for age goes, is it month for month for prior service, or is it an overall extension up to the maximum age allowed? I cant seem to find that online at all, maybe Im not looking at the right sources though. I also plan to utilize the post 9-11 GI bill to finish my degree (within three years), with the yellow ribbon act it seems like such a great deal. That will give me over 53,000 a year with 15,000 a semester in flight play, thats alot of flight time, and alot of certificates i can earn for little to no cost. Plus i believe that being an ERAU grad may help my chances a little because of its strong ties to the military. I also dont know how hard it is to get a pilot slot by going through OCS, I heard that the academy and NROTC takes precedence over OCS. Thanks again and if anyone has more input I would be very appreciative of them.

Shpion1

Contributor
You're worrying about the wrong stuff. You're 21. Age waiver should not even be a concern. Your goal should be flight school by 25. Period.

Which means degree, commission, kick ass enough to get flight school. Devise a plan. STA on hold for 2 years to make up for drinking. We all did it, you just got caught. So, work on your degree. you've got plenty of time to get a degree done by 25. Period. Don't delay, keep up with your school.

As you've seen here, PPL may help a bit but not a deal breaker or maker. Pay attention in school and get the highest GPA you can. And really, school is a little important but not THAT important. When I sat on boards, I gave quite a bit of credit to guys doing it while in the nav, while still doing a kick ass job in their shop as stated above. I know how hard it is, I took 18hrs a semester while a PO2.

Whether you go to ERAU or TitikakaU not as big a deal at least in my experience. I've worked with pilots with degrees in Music, art, history and invertebrate zoology. Also some engineering, physics/math, underwater basket weaving, but guys that I'd rate just under Stephen Hawking. The spectrum is broad. So like the NIKE ad says, just do it.

"Short term sacrifice for long term gain"...always worked for me when I was doing homework while my buds were drinking. 7 years later I was the reenlisting officer as a LT for one of the guys who had made 1st class by then. Still buds, but he liked drinking. I did too but limited it to the weekends.

jtmedli

pilot
Plus i believe that being an ERAU grad may help my chances a little because of its strong ties to the military. I also dont know how hard it is to get a pilot slot by going through OCS, I heard that the academy and NROTC takes precedence over OCS. Thanks again and if anyone has more input I would be very appreciative of them.

Go where you wanna go and don't piss away money on a school because you think it will make you a "shoe-in". Make your college life as enjoyable as you can and pick a major that really suits you in the long run.

jdean3204

I know that ERAU is expensive, but while im enlisted I am taking advantage of TA, which is a great deal. I will hopefully be over half way completed with my degree in Aeronautical Science. The reason I chose that degree and program, because I feel that I will be successful in those classes due to my background and my great interest in Aviation. So that is why I am choosing that road, plus alot of flight time if not ALL will be paid for when i am out and am attending the University. I heard that flight time helps out for a SNA spot anymore, I know its not a maker or breaker, but its a boost. I just wont be getting out till 2012, so that is why I am getting as much done academically as possible while in. That way I can make sure I will be 26-27 years when I start my OCS packet. STA-21 is a GREAT program, but there are no waivers for NJP's and by time 36 months go by since my last one, my EAOS (March2012) before I can take a chance in June of 2012. I feel that is my best chance of making it.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I know that ERAU is expensive, but while im enlisted I am taking advantage of TA, which is a great deal. I will hopefully be over half way completed with my degree in Aeronautical Science. The reason I chose that degree and program, because I feel that I will be successful in those classes due to my background and my great interest in Aviation. So that is why I am choosing that road, plus alot of flight time if not ALL will be paid for when i am out and am attending the University. I heard that flight time helps out for a SNA spot anymore, I know its not a maker or breaker, but its a boost. I just wont be getting out till 2012, so that is why I am getting as much done academically as possible while in. That way I can make sure I will be 26-27 years when I start my OCS packet. STA-21 is a GREAT program, but there are no waivers for NJP's and by time 36 months go by since my last one, my EAOS (March2012) before I can take a chance in June of 2012. I feel that is my best chance of making it.

You did kind of shoot yourself in the foot with your situation but you did not hang yourself. Don't entirely rule out STA-21, in case you decide to extend or re-enlist at your EAOS (provided you have been PTS approved and aren't HYT). Either way, it is essential that you start knocking out college credits NOW. is NCPACE (i think thats what its called) an option for you with your deployment schedule? It may be worth you forgoing the in class room efforts at ERAU at the Navy College to get distance learning credits knocked out through another school that has an online program (this may workout better with your deployments).