• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Encouraging News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisAg05

Well, not really.

Just got an email from my OSO saying that 8 of the 11 guys that went to 1st Increment from our station failed the initial PFT. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it was a form issue because I've PT'd with these guys and they didn't seem like they would get below 225.

reapergm

I dont get that. Didnt they have to pass the PFT to get in?! PLC is too lenient with its applicants. OCCers are slacking if they have under a 275 on their applications.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
I totally agree with you reaper, but that news doesn't really surprise me. I have a friend going in PLC 1st increment. I talked to him just before he left last week and asked him how his PFT looked. He confessed to me that he hadn't PT'd in long time due to finals or whatever excuses he could think of. I didn't say anything, but man I was like, 'dude you're going to have a rough frickin' go of it down there.' I'm an OCC 187 guy and I've been busting my ass to get the best possible. How can they let these PLC'ers slide with that kind of $hit. Do they send them home if they fail?

reapergm

Man.. let me tell ya. I have a 285 PFT. I thought I was in good shape. Then I joined Wildflying for some PT with the Manhattan guys. They had these NYSC instructors come onto the intrepid (couple former Marines) and smoke us for 1 hour. I GOT MY ARSE KICKED! ALL OF US DID! I mean, we thought we were in good shape, but we all realized quickly that we werent. Most of us had been in "PFT mode" and lacking training in other areas. Circuit training is a must. The leg workouts and pushups knocked some sense into us.
My point - I hope all of you guys (PLCers and OCCers) realize that even with great PFT scores, its going to be rough. So Im not trying to knock PLC, but for your own sake, I hope you work and realize that you will be in Marine training.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Was the circuit training mostly upper body stuff; dips and things like that or what? My PFT is similar to yours, but whatever you can tell me about your PT with those guys would obviously be a big help.

reapergm

It was all calisthenics, but it was all into one another. It was arm rotations, into moving your leg lifts for 5 mins, into pushups for 5 mins, into mountain climbers, into squat jumps, into more ab stuff, into lunges, into bend and thrusts, some more pushups, jumping jacks, more pushups... etc etc. Not complex.. just worked until muscle failure. We were shaky when it was over. But because we were sucky... we did a half hour worth of pullups, then a nice 3 mile run.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah, it was our "punishment" for not doing well in that first circuit. We went and did that circuit again in the afternoon and did much better...my favorite part was wiping the floor with those Navy guys who were trying to keep up..lol

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Okay explain to me leg lifts and bend and thrusts because I'm not sure what you mean when you say that. I may know those exercises under different names.

reapergm

Leg lifts - Im sorry, I mean ab leg lifts. When you lie on your back, head up. Lift one leg straight up about 3 feet, lower the other to an inch of the ground, then reverse. Over and over. Like a bicycle motion.After about 15 seconds, your abs tense up hard.

Bends and thrust - Ever see the part in Full Metal Jacket when they are dropping and getting up. Those are the bend and thrusts. Stand, squat with both hands on the ground, push your legs back so you are in pushup position, pop your legs back in, and stand again. Repeat.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I usually do about 10 of those normal then do the next 10 with a pushup then keep alternating sets of 10. It's tough doing the pushups when your heart rate gets high, but I'm sure most of you know that already :)

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Thanks Reaper, that makes a lot more sense. I'm going to have to come up with an additional workout (besides lifting and running) to incorporate those kinds of exercises. Does anyone know how long we'll be PTing on any given day as well as the different things we might be doing for PT? I know we'll be doing formation runs, running the O-course, I'm not sure about Fartlek (I doubt that's spelled right) runs, but most likely we'll see those as well.

lugginjugs

Not a good flight for SNA...but good enough.
It's easy to have a 285 PFT with crap form. Your Instructors at OCS are sticklers for good form. It is conceivable that some Instructors have a hard time counting. I distinctly remember hearing 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13.14.14.14.14.15.16.17.17.17.18.....you get the idea. PT hard, make sure to have good form, and go like hell when you get there. Struggling with the first PFT doesn't exactly equate to failure - the first 2 weeks they break you in pretty easy. HOWEVER, if you show up thinking the 2 weeks will be a nice time to warm up to the physical rigors of OCS - you'll have another thing coming - like a run drop chit or even a thermometer up your hole. No matter what kind of shape you're in there will be something challenging for you. I promise.

P.S. If you are just training for the PFT to score points.....YOU'RE WRONG. Put in a couple of job apps before you leave so you have something to come home to. Find a pack (preferably a 45 lb uncompfortable hunk of crap that will only reasonably accommodate 20 lbs of gear and go hike, maybe take an 8 lb stick (If you take a rifle that's motivating but some folks are a little freaked out by that). Oh yeah - hike fast. The Marine Corps likes fast.

usmcecho4

pilot
PFT paper tigers

Yeah, form is important. A lot of the cadidates that I went down with were paper tigers when it came to PFT. Know that pullups are judged very strictly at OCS--much more strictly than at the OSO office. Understand that it is to your OSO's advantage that your PFT to be high and to the OCS staffs' advantage that your PFT to be low so keep that in mind when you do your pullups. One candidate that did 17 pullups at the office did 8 at OCS and another kid only got 3 that counted. So basically they both were pretty much destined to fail the initial PFT--the 8 pullupper got boarded and eventually graduated while the 3 pullupper got to go home.

Some advice: when they run the PFT hang back toward the end of the line when they do the pullups and look to see which staff members are being extra picky and which ones are being less strict and switch into the line with the easier judger--usually the PTI will be nicer than the instructors (red and white shirts).

kill,
usmcecho4

Status
Not open for further replies.