• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Emergency Exit

FlyinRock

Just to keep things exciting, has anyone else done an emergency exit from an aircraft? My claim to fame was not so exciting down in So America when the oil started coming out all over the windscreen and the PIC froze. I told him I could see what was going on and had good control. He was so frozen that I could not move the controls. So ..... I jumped at about 1000' and did a nice landing at the end of the strip. He finally looked over and saw I was gone, unfroze and landed. The aircraft was covered in oil that had flowed out and over the left side of the windscreen and fuselage. He was embarrased and I was pissed.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Fixed-wing or helo? You "jumped"? Parachuted? Ejected? USMC a/c? Where in South America?

Renegade One

None
Yeah, but mine was rocket-assisted, and I got (1) Whiskey in the Sick Bay hot tub. (2) More whiskey in the LSOs' junk room later that night. (3) A helo ride to the beach in the AM and one night at home with my sweetie and kids, (4) Brand new flight gear, (5) A jet to fly back to the ship to finish CQ the next day, and...TA-DA! (6) A really cool tie afterwards. Legal disclaimer: Despite the oft-heard [in the olden days] mantra: "If it says Pratt & Whitney on the engine, it'd better say Martin-Baker on the seat."...mine was not engine-related.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, but it's kind of cool to shut both your engines off (intentionally) knowing full well you'll be riding it down.

Well, in retrospect it's cool. It's a little scary at the time.

FlyinRock

Fixed-wing or helo? You "jumped"? Parachuted? Ejected? USMC a/c? Where in South America?
Parachuted from fixed wing. Guayaquil, Ecuador. Army observation plane. I was there on contract with USAID in mid 60's training the Ecuadorian Air Force and Army in aerial mapping which was my MOS in USMC.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Yeah, but it's kind of cool to shut both your engines off (intentionally) knowing full well you'll be riding it down.

Well, in retrospect it's cool. It's a little scary at the time.

Yeah, but it's kind of cool to shut two of your engines off (intentionally) knowing full well you'll be flying 12 hours later.

Well, in retrospect it's boring. It makes you wish you lived the 30 min onsta time of a helo pilot at the time.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
FlyinRock said:
Parachuted from fixed wing. Guayaquil, Ecuador.

Ah, beautiful Guayaquil, the Mosquito Capital of South America. If you have to go to Ecuador, Quito is the preferable choice. glad you're around to tell us the story.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FlyinRock said:
Parachuted from fixed wing. Guayaquil, Ecuador.

Ah, beautiful Guayaquil, the Mosquito Capital of South America. If you have to go to Ecuador, Quito is the preferable choice. glad you're around to tell us the story.

Don't forget Manta. Motto: "We have a mall!"

FlyinRock

Don't forget Manta. Motto: "We have a mall!"
Lots of time in Manta and Playas. Remember the balsa rafts? I did some diving there on some ballast stones and found some coins..... The locals spend lots of time on the beach searching for coins during the spring when tides are up. Ecuador esta interesante por los teresoros .......
Semper Fi
Rocky