• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry-Riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I am very interested in this school, but I have not really heard anything about it.
Has anyone here attended the school, specifically the Aeronautical Science program?

krocdawg

I went to school there for two years then transferred, Aero Sci is nice, but if you ever have medical trouble and can't fly, the degree really doesn't do much more. I definitely do miss the area, as I transferred to Univ. of Maryland. One thing I will tell you is don't expect to fly often, they are still having major scheduling problems to fly, my advice would be to do your flying off campus or you can even go to a state school and do your flying from a local flight school or fbo, it's still the same FAA peice of paper no matter where you got it, and you can do it for alot less. Either way, you'll learn how to fly the Navy way once you get in. So it's just a thoughy, I'm having alot of fun here at Maryland, and I'm a logistics and transportation major, so it's nice to know if someday I can't fly anymore, I at least have a backup plan with my degree. Another thing is that I've found it's easier to find more attractive flying jobs up here, since you're not competing with so many pilots concentrated in one area.. I serve as a second pilot in a Pilatus PC-12, and ocassionally run as a crew member in a few citations.

Dave

MexPilot

I am currently a senior at the Prescott campus and was in the Aero. science degree program for 2 years. The flight training is very good here but EXPENSIVE if you plan on going through the whole program private - CFII you are looking around $35,000+($138hr C-172, Piper Seminole $233hr both Dual). I would recommend going to a JC college and getting all of your general ed classes and get your private through multi commercial outside and then take flight course 399 (riddle equivalent of multi-commericial). With that you can still graduate with the Aeronautical Science degree. If you plan on joining the Navy and fly I would agree with krocdawg and goto a state college and get a technical degree and learn to fly at a local FBO. If you need anymore feel free to email me at alvarav@erau.edu

Vince
Fly NAVY!

vballindaytona

I'm a recent DB campus, Aero Sci graduate. Feel free to email any questions/concerns @ vballindaytona@msn.com or vballindaytona9 on AOL instant messenger ;)

Jonathan

Ski3

I am a aeronautical science senior at the PRC campus, and I am sticking around for the summer to finish up my last flight course.

Its a great school, but as mentioned before, a little on the expensive side.

If I had to do it over again, I would still come here to get an aviation related diploma, but I would fly someplace else. The reasons: You can get done sooner (2 years from scratch to CFI/II if you are motivated and disciplined enough to fly a lot) - I have been at ERAU since '98, and I am just finishing my commercial! Also, you can save a lot of money, and you won't have to deal with the "Riddle run around", something that is too difficult to describe - you have to experience it to know what it is. ...lets just say its a pain in the butt.

To sum it up, forget aeronautical science - go for aerospace studies and fly at a local FBO (its located on the same field as Riddle's flight line).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Jack Szarkowski
szarkoj@erau.edu

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Hmmm...could it be its not all that it seems to be. Especially with the female gender only making up like 15% of the population.
Maybe I'll just go to Cal Poly.

Edited by - DBLang on 06/22/2002 22:39:04

krocdawg

At U of MD there are 2 girls to 1 guy, and they are most impressed when you tell them you're a pilot ;-) No one could get away with that at ERAU.. When I was there, it was like 7 guys to 1 girls.. I hope it's improving.

Dave

jrklr

DBLang:
which Cal Poly are you thinking about? I am currently at the SLO campus, mechanical engineering major, I love it. I know a lot of aero engineering majors and they definitely have an intense major, but so is mine I haven't had to many problems with it. Go to Poly for sure though, plenty of girls and will give you the perfect degree for your OCS app.

RC

Im not sure that what mojor you have makes a difference anymore. I know 2 people that just got SNA slots, once was Art History and the other wasd Poli Sci. Beats the hell out of me.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having a technical major certainly can help when it comes to academics. I know some guys who were quite lost on the small stuff. Even the simplified version of aerodynamics, engines, or any other system can be a lot for some people to grasp.

Ski3

Yeah, although a person majoring in english or political sci can get a flight slot and get through flight school without any problems, I think it still is a good idea to pick a technical aviation related major if you know that you want to fly for a living after you finish school. It can only help, right?

Also, I wanted to stress something: ERAU really is not that bad. I did not mean to sling mud at ERAU - I only mentioned that the flight program is a pain in the butt. Definetly consider going here. The teachers are great, and the information you cover here during your 4 years will make your API classes seem like a joke (as well as help you in primary). As for that other stuff with the male/female ratio (especially at the Prescott campus), it sucks, but you can make do.

Go to ERAU for the degree and knowledge, but think twice about flying here unless you have the money to do it.

Jack

Ed Williams

Going to a non military or non aviation college was awesome. I went to school for 4 years and had the best time of my life, there are parts i don't remember, but i'm sure they were fun times too. I joined the Navy after school and when i talk to the academy people, i am so glad that i had 4 years to be stupid and do whatever.
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.