• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry Riddle NROTC

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
Good evening everyone,

I am a new member on Airwarriors. So far this is a great website for gouge and just plain enjoyment to read. One thing I have not read too much about is ERAU NROTC. Just last semester, I was sworn into the battalion here at Riddle and I love it. We are actually a fairly new unit as compared to other schools. The battalion was created in 2003 and has one of the most respectable reputations for one thing; producing Naval Aviators. The unit has a whopping 100% pilot selection rate for those who were MEDICALLY and PHYSICALLY qualified. It's one of the traits that attracted me to here. I really just wanted to put the unit out there so folks will have more options and feel more "secure" and selecting aviation. Great school and location too by the way! Check it out.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Haha, don't let them feed you that 100% selection bs. sure its true if you're a marine option, but not so much on the navy side.

I was a student and member of the ERAU NROTC "family" for a year (had to transfer, 40k a year is a lil out of my league). I will tell you this though, being a junior now, I would have much rather stuck it out in rotc than go the ocs route that I have so far.

As for the program, there isn't a whole lot I can say as far as negatives about it.

But if you have any questions feel free to personal message me, If I don't have the answers I'm still really tight with a lot of guys from the battalion who have already graduated.

btw, be careful sign'n off as MIDN round here, kind of leaves you open to a lot of bs ;)

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
Haha, don't let them feed you that 100% selection bs. sure its true if you're a marine option, but not so much on the navy side.

I was a student and member of the ERAU NROTC "family" for a year (had to transfer, 40k a year is a lil out of my league). I will tell you this though, being a junior now, I would have much rather stuck it out in rotc than go the ocs route that I have so far.

As for the program, there isn't a whole lot I can say as far as negatives about it.

But if you have any questions feel free to personal message me, If I don't have the answers I'm still really tight with a lot of guys from the battalion who have already graduated.

btw, be careful sign'n off as MIDN round here, kind of leaves you open to a lot of bs ;)

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I just started last semester so still learned the ropes and regs. I hope you do well at OCS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Riddle has no advantage in selection compared to any other NROTC unit around the nation. What you are probably seeing is a very high percentage of folks who actually want to fly (vice going SWO/subs/etc) and the fact that most people get what they want anyway, presuming you are qualified and have decent grades/ASTB. Your perspective will change once you see the reality of the selection process.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Riddle has no advantage in selection compared to any other NROTC unit around the nation. What you are probably seeing is a very high percentage of folks who actually want to fly (vice going SWO/subs/etc) and the fact that most people get what they want anyway, presuming you are qualified and have decent grades/ASTB. Your perspective will change once you see the reality of the selection process.

MIDNJAC is wise. Survive the suck for four years and you'll probably get to fly. Good luck. (Class of 2008 grad)

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Seems like someone is trying very hard for that coveted recruiting ribbon... Last year, UMaine was 2/2 in selecting aviation - clearly the best!!! :party_125

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Riddle NROTC plank owner. Great unit. As with any other unit I assume, it is what you make of it. One of the unique things about Riddle is that you are immersed in everything aviation and are therefore presented with a lot more opportunities that would not be so abundant at other universities. The bad thing is obviously the price. Strive to get that scholarship so that won’t be a problem. Not a great co-ed ratio, however you are in Daytona.
evilgrin0013.gif

PM me for any specific questions

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Here is the best advice anyone will ever give you about going to Riddle. If you listen to the following, you will have a 100% chance of selecting aviation, and a 109% chance of getting jets on top of that. It is up to you to discover the meaning of the following.

-Ocean Deck
-$2 you call its at Adobe Gilas (Sunday)
-La Fiestas (Mexican restaurant in Port Orange. Has AWESOME ritas and killer food)
-Find out when the National Collegiate Cheerleading competition is and be IN TOWN
-Oh, and steer clear of the UGA cheerleaders.
-Flip it Tuesdays at Cancun Lagoon
-The Shores Hotel pool deck (more bolt-ons than a rice burner convention)
-Mai Thais
-Hot grill pizza (open 24/7)
-Santora's pizza if you are downtown.
-Join the Naval Aviation club
-Save up, and learn how to skydive in Deland

And a couple of warnings:
-DON'T be in town during BCR week. If you are, stay home
-Oh, and steer clear of Razzles and Seabreeze if you can avoid it.

Oh yeah, and get good grades and drugs are bad emmmk?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Riddle NROTC plank owner. Great unit. As with any other unit I assume, it is what you make of it. One of the unique things about Riddle is that you are immersed in everything aviation and are therefore presented with a lot more opportunities that would not be so abundant at other universities. The bad thing is obviously the price. Strive to get that scholarship so that won’t be a problem. Not a great co-ed ratio, however you are in Daytona.
evilgrin0013.gif

PM me for any specific questions

haha, that price was the reason I couldn't stay after my freshman year.

oh and incase you were interested and incase you weren't there when it happened, Ssgt Gillespie got Gysgt. while I was there, and if you were there you should pm me, we might have run into each other at one point or another

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Nah nah, you guys have got it all wrong. Where you really want to go is ERAU in Arizona. Not only is there no NROTC unit you have to kiss ass to several times a week, but the BDCP guys get to walk around in shorts and sandals waving their checks in the faces of all the poor, lonely, and disturbingly identical looking Air Force ROTC kids.

:)

MasterBates

Unrelated threadjack-

When we went on our big senior spring break trip in 2001, Our schools f'ed up spring break sked put us in Daytona during BCR. We got assaulted twice just trying to check in and said "fvck it" and went to Panama City.

Which had HS spring break going on :icon_smil

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Nah nah, you guys have got it all wrong. Where you really want to go is ERAU in Arizona. ... but the BDCP guys get to walk around in shorts and sandals waving their checks in the faces of all the poor, lonely, and disturbingly identical looking Air Force ROTC kids.
:)

The only problem with your theory, tiny grasshopper, is that in Prescott, you have NOTHING TO DO with the money. I guess you could always go to the nearest walmart and buy an ant farm, or maybe start a cactus collection...

Hence, why BDCP in Daytona is CLEARLY the better choice...

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
Here is the best advice anyone will ever give you about going to Riddle. If you listen to the following, you will have a 100% chance of selecting aviation, and a 109% chance of getting jets on top of that. It is up to you to discover the meaning of the following.

-Ocean Deck
-$2 you call its at Adobe Gilas (Sunday)
-La Fiestas (Mexican restaurant in Port Orange. Has AWESOME ritas and killer food)
-Find out when the National Collegiate Cheerleading competition is and be IN TOWN
-Oh, and steer clear of the UGA cheerleaders.
-Flip it Tuesdays at Cancun Lagoon
-The Shores Hotel pool deck (more bolt-ons than a rice burner convention)
-Mai Thais
-Hot grill pizza (open 24/7)
-Santora's pizza if you are downtown.
-Join the Naval Aviation club
-Save up, and learn how to skydive in Deland

And a couple of warnings:
-Oh, and steer clear of Razzles and Seabreeze if you can avoid it.

Oh yeah, and get good grades and drugs are bad emmmk?

Thanks for the info. Are you flying jets currently? If so, I'd like to hear about it. Honestly if I ever get to pick, I want E-2's or C-2's.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The only problem with your theory, tiny grasshopper, is that in Prescott, you have NOTHING TO DO with the money. I guess you could always go to the nearest walmart and buy an ant farm, or maybe start a cactus collection...

Hence, why BDCP in Daytona is CLEARLY the better choice...

Nothing to do? You're kidding. Are you saying that drinking a beer while sitting on an old sofa that's on top of a shed next to Willow Creek Road and casting out your fishing pole (complete with fake skunk lure) into afternoon traffic and reeling the poor skunk in is boring? Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. Hahah

No but really, there is plenty to do there if you like being outside. Hell, the trail running alone is awesome enough to make it worth it. Or the snowboarding. Or the offroading. The windy roads for your sports car. Whiskey Row? Besides, the Geico Caveman hangs out at Sundances -- I shit you not. :icon_tong