• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Emanuel Out?

altuc

The President's close advisor stepping out because he was tired of his 'idealism'? Starting to say a lot about Mr. Obama...

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
The President's close advisor stepping out because he was tired of his 'idealism'? Starting to say a lot about Mr. Obama...

Maybe, but Emanuel is also an abrasive dickhead. Doesn't surprise me at all that he doesn't work well with a team. He definitely comes across as a "My way or the highway" kinda guy.

boobcheese

The duration of Rahm Emanuel's tenure says nothing more about Mr. Obama's presidency than it does about any other previous U.S. President. According to this article (it has to be legit, its from the "Presidential Studies Quarterly"), the average duration for a Chief of Staff is less that 2 yrs. It's undoubtedly a high stress job and no matter how well one performs they are likely to be the fall guy for any shortcomings, real or perceived, of the administration.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Mr Emanuel is the son of Jewish immigrants and was an accomplished ballet dancer at school. He served as a civilian volunteer with the Israeli Defence Force in the 1991 Gulf War.
I didn't know either fact. If I'm ever on Jeopardy it could come in handy.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You wager: Half of your hand. You answer: the other half of you hand...

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Good analysis of this story and the potential effects (positive and negative) if it is true:

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/06/21/rahm-on-the-way-out/

If POTUS wants any chance of being reelected in 2012, he'll do what Clinton did and pick someone more universally respected. Emanuel was a polarizing figure from day zero, for any number of valid reasons. As the article states, when the 1994 midterms happened, Clinton bounced his Chief of Staff and replaced him with Leon Panetta, who was looked upon as much more of a conciliatory figure than McLarty was. Granted, he was still a partisan member of the White House staff (and if anyone can name another truly nonpartisan WH figure in the league of Bob Gates, I'd be VERY impressed) but he got the job done.

President Obama made a big noise during the campaign trail of bringing change to Washington, but in order to be a more effective leader in the big House, he needs to switch out Emanuel for someone who Republicans will be less likely to trash just because he's there, and will be more willing to actually do closed-door negotiations with. Basically, he should hire a moderate Democrat or even a straight-shot independent for the job. I bet his poll numbers would tick up a bit if that were to happen.

exhelodrvr

pilot
If POTUS wants any chance of being reelected in 2012, he'll do what Clinton did and pick someone more universally respected. Emanuel was a polarizing figure from day zero, for any number of valid reasons. As the article states, when the 1994 midterms happened, Clinton bounced his Chief of Staff and replaced him with Leon Panetta, who was looked upon as much more of a conciliatory figure than McLarty was. Granted, he was still a partisan member of the White House staff (and if anyone can name another truly nonpartisan WH figure in the league of Bob Gates, I'd be VERY impressed) but he got the job done.

President Obama made a big noise during the campaign trail of bringing change to Washington, but in order to be a more effective leader in the big House, he needs to switch out Emanuel for someone who Republicans will be less likely to trash just because he's there, and will be more willing to actually do closed-door negotiations with. Basically, he should hire a moderate Democrat or even a straight-shot independent for the job. I bet his poll numbers would tick up a bit if that were to happen.

I agree that he would benefit from doing that; I don't think it would have a direct effect on the polls, though. That would come from more effective policies (which might be the result of someone other than Emanuel being the COS; but would also require a change in priorities from the rest of the staff.)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If POTUS wants any chance of being reelected in 2012, he'll do what Clinton did and pick someone more universally respected. Emanuel was a polarizing figure from day zero, for any number of valid reasons. As the article states, when the 1994 midterms happened, Clinton bounced his Chief of Staff and replaced him with Leon Panetta, who was looked upon as much more of a conciliatory figure than McLarty was........Basically, he should hire a moderate Democrat or even a straight-shot independent for the job. I bet his poll numbers would tick up a bit if that were to happen.

I don't think the vast majority of Americans give a crap who is the White House Chief of Staff, much less be able to name who the hell it is. Unless they are a very visible part of the administration, and they very rarely are, I don't think the person in that particular job will make any difference.

....(and if anyone can name another truly nonpartisan WH figure in the league of Bob Gates, I'd be VERY impressed)......

General James Jones (ret.), National Security Advisor.