• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eliminate AF? NYT Op-Ed

fastnumber15

TailSpin--classic low level
Absolutely unacceptable that the any military branch would let this happen. I just sat through a briefing from the Air University CC about this exact issue. Problem is obviously with the leadership. Apparently the actual rate is somewhere around 30% of people should have actually failed the PFT, yet were allowed to pass. By summer this year, the AF is "revising" it's PFT chart for newer standards, and will require a mandantory 2 PFT's per year, just like the rest of the services.
Get rid of the AF for it's lack of physical fitness....no.....get rid of people because they fail to be physically fit.....YES. What I can tell you is my score is around 93 percent, and I still catch hell from leadership for not being higher, so I see some change in progress....hopefully.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal opinion is that the height/weight standards need to go away in favor of a strict body fat standard, measured by something more accurate than a rope and choke. I'm 5 foot 9, and I have a very small frame for a dude. If I was at the edge of the weight standards, I'd either be morbidly obese or on steroids. So I never have to sweat the BCA. Conversely, the ogres amongst us have to suffer for no other reason than being square-shaped. Regardless of your weight, the cutoff should be X percent body fat. Period. Not if you are over weight Y, you get rope and choked to find out if your body fat is over X.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Getting a proper BF analysis takes either good equipment, e.g. water displacement or electrical impedence, or someone who knows what he's doing with the calipers. The calipers can be "thrown" very easily, too. It would be a good thing, but the Nav/MC are loath to expend the kind of time and money good body fat testing would take.

MasterBates

This is what always pisses me off (and I am currently dealing with)

I had a full-on workup about a year ago.

At 255 pounds, by "BMI" I was somewhere in the 38% bodyfat range (this is the height/weight)
By Rope and Choke I was at 22%, the limit.
By electrical impedence, (bod pod) I was 18.2%
By immersion, I was 17.9%

I am currently dealing with a local "opinion" that "O's don't go to the tape".. And it pisses me off.

When I am at max weight for my height (6'4", 221#) I have a 6-Pack.

I weigh 235 and they treat me like I am Jabba the Freakin Hutt. Since the medical record only cares about BMI, I have "OBESE" stamped in my med records. And it pisses me off to no end.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I've really been contemplating lifting the way I have been. I've gained 25 pounds in the last few months and lost a percentage of body fat. I'm around 7% now. I'm about 10 pounds under my max weight. I look skinny as hell though so I suppose I'd pass the tape. I'd like to keep working out but I dont know if its worth all the BS that I might deal with...

KBayDog

... I have "OBESE" stamped in my med records.

manatee.png

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call Marines anything you want, but don't ever call them redundant. They are truly unique, and if it had been left to the Army we would still be trying to take Iwo Jima - not to mention dozens of other Pacific Islands.

I don't pretend to know exactly how big the Marine Corps should be or how exactly it should be composed, but our nation needs one. And I am proud & grateful to be a part of the Sea Services (Navy/Marine Corps).

I believe it was actually a USMC General that once said something like the nation doesn't 'need' the Marines, it wants them.

While the Marines do a fine job, and I certainly don't want to see them go away nor do I think they are in any real danger of that either, but they are not 'needed'.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This is what always pisses me off (and I am currently dealing with)

I had a full-on workup about a year ago.

I weigh 235 and they treat me like I am Jabba the Freakin Hutt. Since the medical record only cares about BMI, I have "OBESE" stamped in my med records. And it pisses me off to no end.

Nothing like having to shop in the "Husky" section!

240386751_tp.jpg

MasterBates

I can't even buy pants at a normal store.. Unless I want "ManPris"

Even in the "Relaxed Fit" IF I can get pants in my size (36x36) they assume if you have a long inseam you have chicken legs.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I can't even buy pants at a normal store.. Unless I want "ManPris"

Even in the "Relaxed Fit" IF I can get pants in my size (36x36) they assume if you have a long inseam you have chicken legs.
Yup, I used to be a 29/40 Slim Fit in Wranglers...now, the good married life has made me a 36/40...you can't find those for under $35 around here...the best I can do at Wal-Mart is 36/36...

Oh well, as long as the Navy never runs out of 44 Long I'll be good on Bags...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
So, i have not seen too many fleets trolling around lately, so why have Navy airplanes then????

The initial stages of OEF should have answered that question to your full satisfaction. So should the northern part of OIF I.

Without the Air Force, who would conduct the long range strategic bombing? The AF does OCA, DCA, AI, CAS, etc...isnt that combat?

OK, let's get real here for a second. Strategic bombing? Yes, no doubt we couldn't do it without them. OCA? Yup, F-15Cs and F-22s are the experts there. DCA, AI... depends on the situation, but those are things we're pretty good at most of the time. CAS? Don't make me laugh. The A-10s and mayyybe the occasional F-16CG squadron, but otherwise you want the Marines and Navy six days a week and twice on Sundays.

What the USAF really does well is strategic bombing, strategic airlift, tanking, and first-week of war OCA/AI. Following a trend here??

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
CAS? Don't make me laugh. The A-10s and mayyybe the occasional F-16CG squadron, but otherwise you want the Marines and Navy six days a week and twice on Sundays.

I thought it was Navy squadrons who were going entire deployments without dropping anything. I know there are more than a few Viper units getting some, some of them flying block 30/32s.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, I used to be a 29/40 Slim Fit in Wranglers...now, the good married life has made me a 36/40...you can't find those for under $35 around here...the best I can do at Wal-Mart is 36/36...
How in the blue hell did you end up a 29/40 and make MINIMUM weight? Good Lord! I was 30/32 as an Ensign and was even more of a scrawny SOB than I am now! :eek:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe it was actually a USMC General that once said something like the nation doesn't 'need' the Marines, it wants them.

While the Marines do a fine job, and I certainly don't want to see them go away nor do I think they are in any real danger of that either, but they are not 'needed'.

That was LtGen "Brute" Krulak, father of the future Commandant, and author of "First to Fight," the book in which those words were written.

The Army can and has does amphibious landings. Normandy, anyone?

The Navy could guard all its own stuff. Since we got rid of sea detachments, they mostly have.

The Air Force can transport people and things and bomb stuff.

The Marine Corps has to continually justify its existence. It's part of what has made it one of the most effective fighting forces man for man and dollar for dollar. It's also made the Corps probably the most innovative service in terms of doctrine and employment.