• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Electromagnetic Rail Gun Status?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
4. The argument concerning the current littoral crisis --- IMHO, NSFS can be just as valuable to this field of action. The pirates all have "command centers" near the coast. Their locations are anything but secret and they are readily mobile. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sit 100 miles off the coast, lob 50 shells, pirates run amok amongst themselves while trying to hide and reassemble at a new location several days/weeks later. Sure, it's not a solution to the problem (side rant: the actual solution would never receive political favor) but it throws a relatively cheap wrench in to their plans and disrupts their C2 for some time.

Sounds like a lot of collateral damage, just like a tomahawk strike or jdam.

On a side note, doesn't naval gunfire have a much lower trajectory than artillery?

Lawman

None
Sounds like a lot of collateral damage...

Also, doesn't naval gunfire have a much lower trajectory than artillery?

Yes.

Ground based guns can be requested to fire High Angle in which case they will lob the rounds with a bigger charge behind it to achieve a bigger arc out of the flight of the round. This also adds flight time to the round so you have to account for that. This is adventageous when using Excaliber rounds or attempting to hit a target surrounded by obstacles which would prevent the rounds from impacting on target.

BigRed389

None
Sounds like a lot of collateral damage, just like a tomahawk strike or jdam.

On a side note, doesn't naval gunfire have a much lower trajectory than artillery?

Yeah, except it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than a Tomahawk strike and not require an entire CSG on scene to execute.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I always loved the conventional Trident D-5 concept......too bad it will never happen.

SWO Bubba

None
Hey, I am all for core competencies and Naval Gunfire--and thanks for the review on littorals. I just see very little value added here, for a high up front cost. Sounds more like a new toy for the SWO fiefdom that feels left out of the GWOT spending spree of late.

I'm not tracking on why gunpowder isn't good enough anymore. And gunpowder is much cheaper than a tomahawk.

This isn't SWO fiefdom at all. The requirements for increased land attack capability increased steadily in the mid to late 90s along with the development of JDAM and JSOW, etc. There have been a whole slew of thoughts for increased Naval Surface Fire Support beyond TLAM from land attack SM-2 (LASM) to Harpoon Land Variants to ERGM to rail gun with new advanced rounds. I think we are very capable at NSFS/NGFS - just ask CHAFEE how they did a few years back on Somalia. Steve Wilkens hits the nail on the head regarding team proficiency being a challenge. The 5 in cargo round with the Mk45 Mod 4 (5 in/62 mount) can reach out to 20 NM and is very impressive. However, the 5 in round is still small and limited compared to other munitions in our arsenal and lacks the precision that ERGM and GPS guidance were supposed to bring.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
If they bring back the battle ships, I'll be first in line to redesignate SWO. Maybe put a giant chemical laser and some rail guns on it with propulsion from an aircraft carrier.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If they bring back the battle ships, I'll be first in line to redesignate SWO. Maybe put a giant chemical laser and some rail guns on it with propulsion from an aircraft carrier.

One has to wonder just how many JOs there would be on a reactivated Iowa or Wisconsin. What if we decided (for fun) to build a BBN today what would that look like... DDX on roids?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Just like everything else today, there isn't enough money to train crews on the systems we have in place already. When was the last time anyone worked with NSFS where the ship actually hit the target/island or made the right corrections before 6 hours had gone by? I'd hate to see the problems that would arise with a 200nm SWO weapon when they can't hit the correct target.

Maybe in the fight for funding these gee-whiz future weapons we should fight for funding to maintain some semblance of readiness with today's gear in today's missions.

chefmike

Like This!
yamato_style_concept.jpg
yamato.jpg

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Maybe in the fight for funding these gee-whiz future weapons we should fight for funding to maintain some semblance of readiness with today's gear in today's missions.

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but shouldn't we be funding BOTH fully? And I don't even mean perfect-world. It has been done before, no? And even if not, might it not be important to stay "ahead" to some degree (maybe this isn't the example to die for) at some expense of operational funding / capacity?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe I'm just being stupid, but shouldn't we be funding BOTH fully? And I don't even mean perfect-world. It has been done before, no? And even if not, might it not be important to stay "ahead" to some degree (maybe this isn't the example to die for) at some expense of operational funding / capacity?

You can't have everything. Like it or not, the military is as well-funded in real dollars as it's ever going to be. Add another thing, and you'd better have something you want to get rid of to offset it. I'm all about reducing the overhead of maintaining the empire, but I can't think of anywhere we can withdraw from right now to pay for tomorrow. That means hard choices, one way or another.

BTW, I'm guessing a hypersonic railgun shell isn't going to be a dumb weapon--forget the "up/down/left/right" talk-ons. This ain't your dad's NSFS. Proficiency won't mean the same thing.

And BBs aren't coming back. As beautiful as they were, the supply, engineering, and personnel overhead are too great for a niche weapon.