• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EKG on Flight Physical

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I recently did my flight physical, and everything went ok except my EKG. They found that I have RBBB (just barely qualifies as "complete" RBBB), and a clinical workup will be required for me to be qualified for SNA (so they can be sure that this is benign and not because of heart disease). Obviously I will get this done w/ a cardiologist as required. Although the Doc said that it probably wouldn't be anything, I'm still concerned. Has anyone else had anything like this on their flight physical? It seems so out of the blue that it is quite suprising to me....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
I recently did my flight physical, and everything went ok except my EKG. They found that I have RBBB (just barely qualifies as "complete" RBBB), and a clinical workup will be required for me to be qualified for SNA (so they can be sure that this is benign and not because of heart disease). Obviously I will get this done w/ a cardiologist as required. Although the Doc said that it probably wouldn't be anything, I'm still concerned. Has anyone else had anything like this on their flight physical? It seems so out of the blue that it is quite suprising to me....
I get the "partial right branch block" alert from the machine every time I get my long form. I had a doc explain it to me once, but pretty much amounts to an electrical conduction/timing anomaly in the nerves that make your heart fire off in the right sequence. I was told that, while "interesting" (interesting=makes the flight surgeon break out his cardiology textbook that he hasn't seen in 5 years), it is of no consequence from a physiological or health standpoint and is NCD. As always, your results may vary.

Brett

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I always have right axis deviation, once you get the cardiac consult you'll be fine... unless you really do have heart disease... in which case being an SNA will be the least of your worries.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Brett327 said:
I get the "partial right branch block" alert from the machine every time I get my long form. I had a doc explain it to me once, but pretty much amounts to an electrical conduction/timing anomaly in the nerves that make your heart fire off in the right sequence. I was told that, while "interesting" (interesting=makes the flight surgeon break out his cardiology textbook that he hasn't seen in 5 years), it is of no consequence from a physiological or health standpoint and is NCD. As always, your results may vary.

Brett

good to hear....hey, maybe we had the same tech do the EKG:D
thanks for the replies though....it all seemed so out of the blue (I'm in good health, w/ good vitals and have no troubles working out or anything) it was just kind of unnerving to hear

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:

RBBB is normal in a percentage of healthy folks.....it is not a show stopper. I toss one about every other flight physical.

Since it is a complete RBBB, the docs will likely do a stress test, echocardiogram and make you wear a Holter monitor.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
feddoc said:
RBBB is normal in a percentage of healthy folks.....it is not a show stopper. I toss one about every other flight physical.

Since it is a complete RBBB, the docs will likely do a stress test, echocardiogram and make you wear a Holter monitor.

yes, thats exactly what the LT told me they needed to do. She seemed pretty unconcerned that it was anything serious, but I can just never tell how much Doctors are BS'ing you to make you feel better. So I appreciate the second opinion, and it pretty much echoes what the Doc told me this week.

ip568

None
The ECG is part of the Naval Aviation Medical Torture Program. Eleven out of fourteen annual flight physicals at SOWEY the ECG said I was dying of a different heart desease. The flight surgeon then checked himself and said the machine was wrong. Why the Navy does this is just one of the mysteries of Aviation Medicine.

lewisville1863

I am currently being tested like a lab rat. Had to wear a Holter monitor and do an echocardiogram. Does anyone have any info on high blood pressure. Is that a show stopper for SNFO. My Flight Doc wasn't sure, and hadn't heard of anyone being NPQ'd for it before. Thanks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I am currently being tested like a lab rat. Had to wear a Holter monitor and do an echocardiogram. Does anyone have any info on high blood pressure. Is that a show stopper for SNFO. My Flight Doc wasn't sure, and hadn't heard of anyone being NPQ'd for it before. Thanks.

If your current problem is blood pressure then you might want to start another thread about that in the flight doc section so you will get better answers. Just a tip :)