• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Educate me...What happen to old school cool carrier names???

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I caught that.

How did the multioptipupiloptemy go? Did they go in through the rectum?

Admiral Benson: I slipped on a crab. Who put that crab there?
Lt. Commander Block: I don't see any crab, sir.
Admiral Benson: Don't tell me. There were two crabs. They work in pairs. I went to Annapolis for chrissakes!
Admiral Benson: Oh, by the way I would like to thank you for having us over for dinner the other night. Cheryl and I thought the stroganoff was marvelous.
Lt. Commander Block: But sir, we didn't have dinner the other night.
Admiral Benson: Really? Then where the hell was I? And who's this Cheryl?
Lt. Commander Block: Every aerial photo and recon report indicate a defensive arsenal in the D, and perhaps negative C, categories. There's also some anti-aircraft squadrons. They can send up an ack-ack umbrella high enough to make any attack ineffective.
Admiral Benson: I don't have a clue what you're talkin' about, Phil. Not a fucking clue. I have a shell the size of a fist in my head. Pork Chop Hill. The only way I can make this goddamn toupee to stay on is by magnetizing the entire upper left quadrant of my skull, so you just go ahead and do what you do.
[Jets start their engines]
Admiral Benson: God, that's loud. My ear canals are very sensitive. They're stainless steel. Took a bullet in Corregidor. Passed straight through.
[Admiral Benson takes a handkerchief and inserts it in his left ear passing it through his head and out the right ear]
Admiral Benson: [air controller gets his earplugs out]
Air Controller: We have these to hold down the sound, sir.
Admiral Benson: Oh, good. Thanks.
[Admiral Benson swallows the earplugs]
Admiral Benson: Let's hope they do the trick.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Heck, they ought to hire the folks that named the Shuttle/Orbiters. Not sure you could have done better than Enterprise/Columbia/Challenger/Atlantis/Endeavor/Discovery for those.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
On the whole fast attacks being named for cities...LPDs get those too. And still so little love for Wisconsin. Green Bay gets an LPD but the 27th biggest city in America still gets shit on. Don't worry Milwaukee, you'll get yours soon, maybe...probably not...

BigRed389

None
Ehh I'm still skeptical, especially how the fates of DDG(X) and CG(X) went.

Oh given our history I'm sure it will be ridiculously over budget with non-existent quality control. Even more so since it's being built in Pascagoula.

Dan VA46

According to my old friend Wikipedia, the first carrier to be named after a person is the USS Franklin (commissioned in '44).
I am a fan of the other/cooler names for the Carriers, and am interested to see what the next few carriers in the Ford class will be named. I think there is a movement to name one the USS Arizona. And USS America has already been taken, by a new LHA.
Wikipedia is full of shit.
The USS Franklin was named for the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, not Ben Franklin.

blackbart22

pilot
The USS Franklin was tte fifth US Navy ship to bear that name, so she could be considered to be named after a ship. The first goofy name was the USS Shangri-La. When ask Dolittle's were from, FDR said Shangri-La refering to the book Lost Horizons. Someone at Big Navy though that it would be clever to name a carrier that. The first birdfarm to be unequivocally named for a person was the FDR.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
My grandad served on the "Shitty Shang" back in the early 60s. I remember his story of the Marine F4D that trapped, smartly taxied out of the wires, and went left when he should have gone right, (it was night time). Pilot got out and was recovered.....but the Ford is still at the bottom of the Med.