• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Edelweiss Lodge Germany

Lawman

None
Used to be called the General Patton Lodge. My family did two MWR trips there while we were stationed in Italy. Absolutely one thing I want to go back to Europe again for.

If your going to go, do it in the winter. Garmisch is like being inside a snowglobe. Ive seen Aspen, they dont have dick on this place. There are a lot of different places to eat, lots of places to shop though its not structured like a "mall" like most americans are used too. Big thing is it gets unbelievably cold up there. -10 to -20 is not unusual at night and if you dont rent a car or want to fork out major dough on a cab you will be walking. One thing that was really impressive was they used to take all the snow they shoveled from the walkways and put them in these big 10x10 foot metal dumpster looking things. Then once they were packed full and the snow had set they would drop the sides and proffesional ice sculptors make various pieces of art and statue out of them. Again something you wont ever see in America. The actual skiing can be pretty challanging though. I dont think the Zugspitze Mountains know the meaning of the term Bunny Hill.

Plan on spending some money though because even with the dollar was strong against the mark my family still spent a lot of cash on that trip and my dad is the cheapest man you've ever met.

Almost forgot, its also the home of the Worlds Largest Nutcracker (even counting Masterbates Exwife).

BlkPny

pilot
I took our family there for Christmas two years ago. Absolutely incredible resort. Beautiful hotel, beautiful town, great scenery, and lots of things to do. PM me for details.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was there at the end of the summer last year after a CENTCOM deployment - great hiking, good food and great beer out in town (restaurants at resort were essentially fast food or cafeteria style americana). They had an awesome RNR deal for OEF/OIF deployers - 40% off room and food rates for up to 14 days. Families with kidlets seemed to like it too.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Great place to go both in summer and winter. Day trips to the Zugspitze during the summer, skiing there in the winter. Also easy to go on trips to Munich, or to Neuschwanstein castle, the Dachau concentration camp, etc.

Definitely worth it.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Great place to go both in summer and winter. Day trips to the Zugspitze during the summer, skiing there in the winter. Also easy to go on trips to Munich, or to Neuschwanstein castle, the Dachau concentration camp, etc.

Definitely worth it.

Be careful if you head to the Black Forrest though, you may be trying to take home a 500 pound souvenir. :)

And if you go to Neuschwanstein be prepared to hike.

As for the OP's original question I have to echo the sentiments above, Garmisch is a great town and is one of those places that postcards never seem to do justice.