• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Easiest branch to become a pilot.

croakerfish

pilot
Which part is "fucking killing you"? Is it my INSANE theory that most aspiring pilots want to fly jets? (Sarcasm)

That is part of it. Also this idea that somehow since you don't need a degree to be a Warrant Officer, and the Army has flying Warrants and no jets, it must be easier to be an Army pilot. The fact that you'd say it out loud is even worse. The US Army is arguably the most progressive of the services in the way it invests in pilots. A Navy/USMC or AF pilot gives back much less in terms of useful time AS A PILOT since all pilots, as commissioned officers, are expected to follow the path to command or GTFO.
People who can walk in off the street and get picked up to be an Army pilot are not going to be any different from those of us who did the same in the Navy. Those guys without college degrees who wear Army wings are salty NCOs, not greenhorns.

As to your assertion about "virtually" everyone being a jet wannabe. I myself knew I wanted helos before I even got picked up for OCS. Lucky me, three #1 choices in a row. Speaking as someone who actually went through flight school, I'd say less than half of my fellow SNA's wanted Tailhook. Throw in the Marines and it drops a lot more.
Far less than half of the people who wanted jets ever ended up in a Hornet, but that's a different story...

Python

pilot
Contributor
I would say that if I asked my friends now I would get the same statistics as you, but back in flight school almost everybody did. Those guys that didn't get it, now say that they never really wanted it. They deny it a lot. Hell, even guys in API who said they wanted it but then started doing poorly in primary started saying they "always wanted helos".

That is part of it. Also this idea that somehow since you don't need a degree to be a Warrant Officer, and the Army has flying Warrants and no jets, it must be easier to be an Army pilot. The fact that you'd say it out loud is even worse. The US Army is arguably the most progressive of the services in the way it invests in pilots. A Navy/USMC or AF pilot gives back much less in terms of useful time AS A PILOT since all pilots, as commissioned officers, are expected to follow the path to command or GTFO.
People who can walk in off the street and get picked up to be an Army pilot are not going to be any different from those of us who did the same in the Navy. Those guys without college degrees who wear Army wings are salty NCOs, not greenhorns.

As to your assertion about "virtually" everyone being a jet wannabe. I myself knew I wanted helos before I even got picked up for OCS. Lucky me, three #1 choices in a row. Speaking as someone who actually went through flight school, I'd say less than half of my fellow SNA's wanted Tailhook. Throw in the Marines and it drops a lot more.
Far less than half of the people who wanted jets ever ended up in a Hornet, but that's a different story...

texags

pilot
I would say that if I asked my friends now I would get the same statistics as you, but back in flight school almost everybody did. Those guys that didn't get it, now say that they never really wanted it. They deny it a lot. Hell, even guys in API who said they wanted it but then started doing poorly in primary started saying they "always wanted helos".

So much truth.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...but then started doing poorly in primary started saying they "always wanted helos".
...but then started doing poorly in primary started saying they "are just glad to be here".

That's
what I said...I was damn lucky to make it out of VT-2.

:eek:

Lionel Hutz

pilot
There are guys like that. But there are also a lot of guys like me who said prior to flight school, "oh, I want jets" based on nothing other than it looked cool. Then, while actually learning how to fly in primary, realized that flying jets would not be really enjoyable to me for a number of reasons - didn't like aerobatics, loved the low-flying stuff, met and talked to pilots from each of the communities (learning about their various cultures) etc, and decided helos would be a much better fit for me.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
There are guys like that. But there are also a lot of guys like me who said prior to flight school, "oh, I want jets" based on nothing other than it looked cool. Then, while actually learning how to fly in primary, realized that flying jets would not be really enjoyable to me for a number of reasons - didn't like aerobatics, loved the low-flying stuff, met and talked to pilots from each of the communities (learning about their various cultures) etc, and decided helos would be a much better fit for me.

When I started flight school, I wanted jets. Not sure why. I don't think I even really knew the mission of all the aircraft back then. "Jets" eventually devolved into "Tailhook," which I started calling "Anything that lands on a ship, besides helicopters." By the time I hit Primary, I was interested in tailhook and maritime—just not helicopters.

My roommate has always wanted helos (his dad was an H-3/60F/60H commander), and it eventually started to rub off on me. Training at Whiting Field meant watching and hearing helicopters spinning around all day. I know it really just depends on whom you ask and what you make of things, but the helicopter IPs I spoke with in my training squadron seemed to be the happiest with their jobs (which, as a blank-stared ensign bobbling through Primary, is pretty much the only meaningful type of feedback I had to work with at this point). I was doing my instrument check with the XO and, after I had passed it and we were just setting up for an approach back home, we spent the rest of the time chatting about helicopters. He told me he wanted jets in flight school but would never take back his career as a 60 pilot (my Advanced onwing would tell me the same thing some months later). Those sorts of conversations make an impact on ye, the know-nothing ENS/2ndLT. My decision was nailed in by the time I was through with Primary (and, luckily, helicopters are currently the only thing you can put for #1 at a Whiting Field selection and almost definitely get, despite your high/mid/low NSS).

Now I'm in Advanced having way more fun with the basic stuff than I ever did in Primary. I'm excited for everything. Nearly every training location, platform, station and mission excites me. It's funny how big the leap of faith can be when you're filling out your preference sheet—especially when your NSS gives you a wide range of options—but this was a bullseye.

Saturday-morning coffee and AirWarriors makes for verbose and rambling posts. In short: Go learn to fly, love it as much as you can, and pick goals based on a bigger picture than Top Gun. You might be surprised with your dream sheet. (Source: Excited ensign who is still some months away from winging and isn't through the shit yet but is feeling pretty damn great about flight school)

Python

pilot
Contributor
I like both of the above posts. However when you guys say you spoke with instructors from all the communities, tacair was not one you spoke to. Sure maybe there's an exception and you talked to one hornet or harrier guy, but that's an exception. 99% of the guys that studs talk to are not tacair, which I feel is sad for my community because it doesn't get all the factual info out there.

Lionel Hutz

pilot
I like both of the above posts. However when you guys say you spoke with instructors from all the communities, tacair was not one you spoke to. Sure maybe there's an exception and you talked to one hornet or harrier guy, but that's an exception. 99% of the guys that studs talk to are not tacair, which I feel is sad for my community because it doesn't get all the factual info out there.
Very good point - very few tacair guys in primary, although my onwing was actually the rare exception as a Marine tacair guy. I did reach out to other guys I knew outside of tracom, which I always recommend SNAs do.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

I had two onwings, both were Harrier guys. As far as I can recall, I flew with something like six other jet IPs. I had a pretty good split between tailhook, maritime and helo instructors, but I don't know how that plays out for the other squadrons.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
When I was at VT-3 in 2008, it was some unique and "special" thing that we had one gold-winged tacair pilot. He seemed like a butt-head, though, and that might have been why he was sent there (rather than VT-jet). Regardless, tacair was not well represented when I was in primary. It might be for the better, though, to take the pressure off the students and fill in the gaps in knowledge borne from watching nothing but jet cruise videos on YouTube.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So have we finished another Jets/choppers debate by once again reaching the conclusion that you will wind up enjoying whatever you fly? There are no wrong answers, and only one truly right answer. However, Navy dudes can't get Harriers so don't worry about it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Simple fact...TACAIR is a mission, not a platform. Who gives a shit what you fly as long as you are satisfied with the mission you are executing?

Some missions are different than others. They are all important or we wouldn't have them.

You don't need a jet guy in your squadron to figure out what our mission is.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Simple fact...TACAIR is a mission, not a platform. Who gives a shit what you fly as long as you are satisfied with the mission you are executing?

Some missions are different than others. They are all important or we wouldn't have them.

You don't need a jet guy in your squadron to figure out what our mission is.

Same can be said for other platforms. Sure, we know what the mission is- but how much of that is burning gas on a CAP vs raging down low doing "high threat" CAS with dumb bombs and pop deliveries? What you actually do on a day to day basis in the airplane, and especially what squadron life is like outside of the airplane, is not spelled out in the mission statement.