• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Early Frocking - Good or Bad?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting frocked early to O-4? I have an opportunity to move into an O-4 billet soon within my command but i'm not sure how that would affect career timing (if at all), and if there are any other issues involved.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
This is a joke right? It hurts my soul that anyone would ever consider joining the shrub club any sooner that absolutely necessary. Why not fill the billet and continue wearing LT ?

Take it from a dirty hinge - don't rush this. And that's not just some "hinges suck, JOPA rules" cliche... What job are you considering that is SO important that it requires you to be frocked (which in most cases is a no no for officers). Looking at your somewhat vague profile it appears that you're nearing the end of your shore tour (maybe already complete with it). This makes the interest in rushing O-4 more curious.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Everyone was frocked in my day....

Being frocked puts (used to anyway) in a different fitrep category. ENS, LTJG, Frocked LT, LT, Frocked LCDR, LCDR, etc. It can be used to your advantage or disadvantage depending on where you break out and the timing.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know about today's Navy, but in my era...you had been selected for the next higher rank, but had to wait XX months for a block of promotions to open up, providing a new DOR. A new next rank billet opens up, the CO could authorize a frocking within his command to fill the billet, if he feels his selectee is qualified and confident he can handle the job. Although no monetary gain, it was considered a 'pat on the back' and a + remark on the Fitrep, not to mention the prestige of & respect for your new rank. Don't laugh, unless you're the rare "that guy" at the O-4+ level, it's (uh, used to be) there!:)

*I was frocked to O-5, to fleet up to replace my departing boss the CVA Wpns DH, an excellent experience!
BzB

On the nuke side, there were a few LTs who were showing up as Principal Assistants (like a Dept Head); they were frocked, and I guess it made sense since they typically had a few junior O-3's subordinate to them.

The frocking will not really help you career wise (promoting), other than you can get a fitrep bullet that says something like "already an outstanding performer at the O-4 level". So, I personally would not factor that (either way) into your decision. Plus, the fact that the nuclear program does it is sort of an automatic (-1).

exNavyOffRec

On the nuke side, there were a few LTs who were showing up as Principal Assistants (like a Dept Head); they were frocked, and I guess it made sense since they typically had a few junior O-3's subordinate to them.

The frocking will not really help you career wise (promoting), other than you can get a fitrep bullet that says something like "already an outstanding performer at the O-4 level". So, I personally would not factor that (either way) into your decision. Plus, the fact that the nuclear program does it is sort of an automatic (-1).

I rarely saw any nukes show up for a PA tour as O-4's, most ended up being spot promoted, the others had already made it just hadn't reached the point to put it on.

Question, on the officer side is frocked the same as spot promote?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plus if you are frocked early, you just become cannon fodder for the senior Hinges......don't do it.

-ea6bflyr ;)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
More details? This is the first I have ever heard of this in the aviation community. Back in my dirty sub days, it was not uncommon for the Engineer to be spot promoted. I have been around aviation for over a decade and I have never heard of it happening in an Aviation billet. I have seen some above zone promotes, but that is about it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
This is a joke right? It hurts my soul that anyone would ever consider joining the shrub club any sooner that absolutely necessary. Why not fill the billet and continue wearing LT ?

Take it from a dirty hinge - don't rush this. And that's not just some "hinges suck, JOPA rules" cliche... What job are you considering that is SO important that it requires you to be frocked (which in most cases is a no no for officers). Looking at your somewhat vague profile it appears that you're nearing the end of your shore tour (maybe already complete with it). This makes the interest in rushing O-4 more curious.

It's a job at a joint command HQ. People don't take you very seriously here as an O-3.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a job at a joint command HQ. People don't take you very seriously here as an O-3.

Yes, and the USAF side of the 'joint' is especially rank conscious. An O-3 would probably have to prepare a fresh potta' coffee twice as often p/day as a hinge!;)
BzB