• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 "Tube" Shots

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
You'll see a fair amount of competition for strike. Can't vouch as to whether this is still the case (although I don't see any reason they would have changed it), but there is/was a minimum grade cutoff for VAW. It was around a mid-forties NSS if memory serves right. That's why so many guys ended up viewing it has having "gotten drafted" when in reality their classmates weren't eligible. Needs of the Navy first = some that don't want the E-2 get "awarded" it anyway. Breakdown for my E-2 RAG class: I was a student at VT-4, and there were 6 of us I-Grads that wanted E-2s (5 were eligible). At VT-10, all 6 of them didn't. Bizarre world.

Work hard (seriously). You may not be competing for a VAW slot by itself, but your grades, specifically NSS, are still in competition w/ every guy who wants F-model Hornets. You can be smart, but come I-Grad time, if you're in a class of overachievers you may end up going strike regardless of wanting E-2s.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Just to clarify...

"Strike" is not the catch-all term the tactical jet pipeline. "Strike" refers to Prowler bubbas (and B-1s for the Chair Force). The other tactical jet option is "Strike/Fighter" which is F-model Hornets (or D-Models for jarheads, -15Es for the Chair Force).

You will compete at I-grad for either E-2s (VAW-120) or tactical jets (VT-86). It's not until your ankle deep at -86 that you know if you're going Strike or S/F.

Now, if you want E-2s... Goobers example notwithstanding... you'll probably get it. This is commonly referred to as "jumping on the grenade" at I-grad ;)

DairyCreamer

TurnandBurn55 said:
Just to clarify...

"Strike" is not the catch-all term the tactical jet pipeline. "Strike" refers to Prowler bubbas (and B-1s for the Chair Force). The other tactical jet option is "Strike/Fighter" which is F-model Hornets (or D-Models for jarheads, -15Es for the Chair Force).

You will compete at I-grad for either E-2s (VAW-120) or tactical jets (VT-86). It's not until your ankle deep at -86 that you know if you're going Strike or S/F.

Now, if you want E-2s... Goobers example notwithstanding... you'll probably get it. This is commonly referred to as "jumping on the grenade" at I-grad ;)

I'd jump on the grenade ;) I'd rather be the one controlling the G's if I were in a strike aircraft. Honestly though, I feel I have some skills for the E-2 route if I go NFO.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How much longer is the Prowler going to be an option for new NFOs anyways?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CommodoreMid said:
How much longer is the Prowler going to be an option for new NFOs anyways?
Probably at least another 8 years or so.

Brett

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Dude, if you want Hummers out of Pcola, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the minimum NSS. Most guys who pass over P-3's after primary want to go to jets. However, the Hawkeye has some pretty serious @*#$ going on in it. It's crazy. Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Ahh... been away a while but it's good to see that the E-2 myth-busting is still going on at AW. I'd have to agree, the odds are good that if you want Hummers out of Intermediate, and you've got the NSS, you'll probably get it. Wierder things have happened, though.
Here's a cutaway of the bird. The back end is really just a big dark tube with computers in it.

Attachments

• E-2C cutaway.jpg
    E-2C cutaway.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 133

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that a sexual toy jammed into an E-2? Or wait, I get it now.

"Nothin' beats a good hummer!"

Peter89

Hello Folks,
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seemed like the appropriate place for my questions. I will preface this post by saying I realize that aircraft selection is a long way off for me and that I should be worried about/preparing for OCS right now. However, I feel comfortable (or as comfortable as one could be) with my gouge, PT, and what is expected upon arrival at OCS. This is more for my curiosity at the moment, to help pass the time and stay motivated over the next three weeks.
With that said, I have been reading through the various threads on this site for months and the information here is great, stuff that isn't available anywhere else. I haven't, however, been able to find information specifically addressing the following two questions.

1) In E-2's, do the NFO's seats rotate 90 degrees to face forward during takeoff and landing, or do they remain sideways in the "tube"?

2) Are E-2 C and D NFO's able to change platforms easily, or would going from C to D, or vice vera, require further instruction at the FRS? So, if one were in a squadron that is transitioning, would that NFO be qualified to operate in both aircraft?

If there is a thread that I have missed, could someone please point me in the right direction? If not, any commentary would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is quite a long dead revival. I can only assume you found it by searching for your answers, so good on you for giving it the 'ol college try. I know your answers but will not dare upstage one of the tube rats who will love to help you out.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1) In E-2's, do the NFO's seats rotate 90 degrees to face forward during takeoff and landing, or do they remain sideways in the "tube"?

2) Are E-2 C and D NFO's able to change platforms easily, or would going from C to D, or vice vera, require further instruction at the FRS? So, if one were in a squadron that is transitioning, would that NFO be qualified to operate in both aircraft?

1) Yes, they turn for takeoff and landing. The seatpan also lifts up on the left to keep your butt level and compensate for the slight nose-up while on station. Really.

2) The D transition is going on right now. You'd need a transition course to go from one to the other. It's routine already - there's several versions of E-2 in the fleet, with very different back ends. They toyed with a 'series qual' a few years ago, but it was too much hassle.